Photo

Switches for CCTV (Cisco)

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 +ChuckFinley

ChuckFinley

member_id=28229

Posted 21 May 2014 - 13:45

Ok for those who of you who work in Cisco Land, Would you use these switches for CCTV?

http://www.cisco.com..._c78-634369.pdf

Personally I think not but I just wanted to see what you thought? ....

#2 +BudMan

BudMan

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 93
  • OS: Win7, Vista, 2k3, 2k8, XP, Linux, FreeBSD, OSX, etc. etc.

Posted 21 May 2014 - 16:52

What about the SG300 line, one step up from those - which has support for multicast TV vlan (MVR)

I just ordered one for the home network, should be here today I am hoping. Will be able to play with its feature set, this feature is one I am looking forward to play with - see if I can get chromecast working across segments with it ;) The limited play time I have tried with IGMP proxy wasn't working, might be that I didn't set it up right, etc.

#3 sc302

sc302

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 25

Posted 21 May 2014 - 17:30

I have the sg300-52MP supporting 18 1080p 3MP IP cameras.  Seems to do the job just fine, no lag perfect picture.  As a matter of fact, the pc hardware couldn't handle the stream so I had to drop the quality down.  Apparently with full resolution I need a i7 with 16GB of memory and a dedicated video card with 1GB of memory at the min to be able to watch all of the cameras, no lag with that beast. 

http://www.luxriot.c...rt/calculators/

#4 OP +ChuckFinley

ChuckFinley

member_id=28229

Posted 21 May 2014 - 18:34

When you say apparently, Is that the actual case? Is that actually what hardware they recommend? I would have thought that it was an IP stream then the Video Card wouldn't matter a great deal (Like that anyway) What Camera's are you using? I have been tasked something which seems particularly interesting to me to get my teeth into but its not something I have done before. 

#5 sc302

sc302

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 25

Posted 21 May 2014 - 18:38

well, the calculator says that I need it, so I did it and got the results I was looking for, which is the apparently part.  I didn't have a ton of memory, cpus, and video cards to play with so I stuck with the manufacturer recommendations based on the calculator..which is why the apparently, perhaps if I had a plethora of hardware at my disposal I could actually play with different configs to see if it would work the same or better with lesser hardware.  I tried with a core 2 when it said I need a i7 and the results were very poor.  Didn't have an i3 or i5 laying around so I went for an i7 in the $800 range.