Man who killed daughter with slap gets 60 days in jail

LOL Thank You - I feel so much better knowing you disapprove of my honesty.

You get the humanitarian award for today.

And you get a very special cookie for assuming I am a humanitarian for calling out your ######.

Not everything requires blood for blood or for someone to die in a cell, clearly the courts found it to be an accident, no motive of intent and chances are the guy is devastated and now has to live with himself the rest of his short remaining years, what good does it really do to have him sit in jail for a Cpl of years when rehabilitation isn't necessary as it was a once off and retribution is served by what he has to live with. 

The Crown was seeking a prison sentence.

Nobody asked for a death sentence, so blood for blood isn't even relevant here.  Accidental death vs. intentional, the end result is the same, period.

If my actions lead to the accidental death of another and could have been prevented, then I would fully expect the courts to punish me.

a 74-year old man has a 13-year old daughter?

They are not only ones... there are more people who are in same boat as them.

I know someone who was born when her parents were close to 60 yrs old.

it wasn't just one slap. it was two and a spank. he had slapped her after she spoke back to him about her missing dirt under a carpet while cleaning their apartment.

"Nout?n? was cleaning the floors in the family?s apartment in Longueuil, south of Montreal, when she was reprimanded by her father for missing dirt under a carpet in the kitchen.

At a February sentencing hearing, Sidim? said that he had returned to the living room when he heard Nout?n? speak back to him. He told the court he struck her on the face twice and once again on her backside. Five minutes later he heard a noise and found his daughter unconscious on the floor."

Most probably.

Sets a rather dangerous precedent.

That's what I was thinking.

Like isn't manslaughter still manslaughter? Even though he didn't mean to kill her, he still intentionally tried to harm her, so shouldn't that carry more weight than say a drunk driver accidentally hitting someone?

If it was just a slap that triggered a subjacent condition, then it's an accident, not a murder. It's not like he beat her to death nor that it was his intention.

You guys say that he got off "easy". Well, of course! Having in your conscience that you were part of a series of events that lead to your daughter's death is surely easy! I bet he was just smiling and jumping out of jail!

Unfortunately, with the average IQ on the internet, I have to use the following: /s 

• Like 2

If it was just a slap that triggered a subjacent condition, then it's an accident, not a murder. It's not like he beat her to death nor that it was his intention.

You guys say that he got off "easy". Well, of course! Having in your conscience that you were part of a series of events that lead to your daughter's death is surely easy! I bet he was just smiling and jumping out of jail!

Unfortunately, with the average IQ on the internet, I have to use the following: /s 

As I pointed our earlier, this man still intentionally set out to perform physical violence on his child and she unfortunately died as a result and it's okay because it was an accident and he feels guilty?

A drunk driver in Australia recently got jailed for 9 years, is that unfair because it was an accident or because he felt guilty? Not to mention he wouldn't have set out to harm someone in the first place.

As I pointed our earlier, this man still intentionally set out to perform physical violence on his child and she unfortunately died as a result and it's okay because it was an accident and he feels guilty?

You're right! Im off to sue my mother, she spanked me as a child! How dare her!

You're right! Im off to sue my mother, she spanked me as a child! How dare her!

"An autopsy later concluded that the force of the blows likely caused her neck to twist in such a way that she ruptured an artery"

Edit: Really sounds exactly like just a normal spanking of a naughty child.

"An autopsy later concluded that the force of the blows likely caused her neck to twist in such a way that she ruptured an artery"

Edit: Really sounds exactly like just a normal spanking of a naughty child.

Still an accident, how hard is that to understand? The law it's clear: to be judged as a murderer intent and immediacy is important.

And that report is still dubious, a ruptured artery does not kill you in five minutes. Within a minute or two the blood flow would've darkened her entire neck and shoulder and she would be dead. Do you have ANY idea of how much blood flow transits trough any of the carotid arteries?

And now that you mention it, I will check if I don't have a ruptured artery in my ass. If I die this night, please, arrest my mother.

People these days... just reacting to the news.

Even if she didn't die, its still abuse to hit someone that hard. Child abuse has harsher punishments than he got.

I also find it odd that he spanked his 13 year old daughter, that sounds a lil old to still be spanking. Made creepier by the fact that he is a really really old father.

Still an accident, how hard is that to understand? The law it's clear: to be judged as a murderer intent and immediacy is important.

And that report is still dubious, a ruptured artery does not kill you in five minutes. Within a minute or two the blood flow would've darkened her entire neck and shoulder and she would be dead. Do you have ANY idea of how much blood flow transits trough any of the carotid arteries?

And now that you mention it, I will check if I don't have a ruptured artery in my ass. If I die this night, please, arrest my mother.

People these days... just reacting to the news.

You really like ignoring my posts don't you?

I'm not saying the man should be trialed as a murderer and I'm not saying that he intended to kill her.I'm saying that he still set out to physically harm his child and she died as a result, while that was not his intention it is still the crime of manslaughter and arguably child abuse.

From what I have seen at the time it happened he hit her twice upside the head. That is not a spanking that is assault. I have seen this kind of sentences happen it the U.S., but in all my years I have never heard of such a lenient sentence in Canada. For those that say he will suffer enough knowing he killed his daughter, how about the drunk drivers that kill someone, they have to live with that for the rest of there lives to, yet many in Canada have been charged with criminal negligence causing death and received life in prison.

You really like ignoring my posts don't you?

I'm not saying the man should be trialed as a murderer and I'm not saying that he intended to kill her.I'm saying that he still set out to physically harm his child and she died as a result, while that was not his intention it is still the crime of manslaughter and arguably child abuse.

Since when disciplining your child is child abuse?  :|

I understand where you are coming from, but I believe there is a distinct difference between spanking the bum of your child compared to slapping them in the head. Obviously force is the big decider though, in this case it seems that it must the slap(s) would have had some force behind them to trigger whatever happened to the girl.

I understand where you are coming from, but I believe there is a distinct difference between spanking the bum of your child compared to slapping them in the head. Obviously force is the big decider though, in this case it seems that it must the slap(s) would have had some force behind them to trigger whatever happened to the girl.

Maybe, but come on, the slap was on the cheek, hardly a strange place to hit for discipline. It could be that her artery was already damaged. Arteries, despite what it seems, are quite strong. A slap that ruptures an artery from nothing would, almost surely, be as strong to also damage the vertebrae.

Even if the slap was strong enough to damage an already fissured artery ?something that would still require quite a punch? can we totally blame him?

I try to empathize with the guy. His life is in shatters.

When you hit them so hard you kill them?

Even if the slap was strong enough to damage an already fissured artery ?something that would still require quite a punch? can we totally blame him?

Umm.... Yes? Who else would we blame, the girl whose poor vacuuming skills prompted her father to strike her?

Umm.... Yes? Who else would we blame

The same person we blame in accidents: nobody.

You are confusing 'blame' with responsibility. Of course the father has to take, somehow, responsibility of being part of the events that occurred, but in no way we can blame him of murder.

Please, explain to me, in legal terms, how this applies as a first degree murder, second degree murder, voluntary manslaughter or involuntary manslaughter. I'll wait.

He plead guilty to manslaughter. Did you even read the article? Him hitting is daughter wasn't an accident, he didn't intend for her to die but he's still responsible for intentionally hitting his daughter which resulted in her death. If you and I got into a brawl, you knocked me down and I cracked my head open, you'd be culpable for throwing the punch but you didn't intend to kill me. At the same time, no one would consider the altercation strictly an accident. Hitting another person always carries the risk of serious injury, especially if it is around the head or neck area.

The body is an odd piece of kit: sometimes it can take a walloping and sometimes even a small blow can be fatal.

Involuntary manslaughter is described as such:

Involuntary manslaughter arises where the accused did not intend to cause death or serious injury, but caused the death of another through recklessness or criminal negligence.

That seems to describes what happened here. I never suggested he was guilty of murder; murder requires malice of forethought. He plead guilty to manslaughter and was convicted of it.

as far as "confusing blame with responsibility":

blame

verb
feel or declare that (someone or something) is responsible for a fault or wrong.

So idk what you're on about regarding that.