SpaceX DragonFly: propulsive landing testbed

Yup, at least that's about the middle of its range. Only fired once, Soyuz T-10-1 on September 26, 1983. The launcher caught fire and the LAS carried the crew to safety. Estimated at 14 to 17 G's.

I'm surprised the crew weren't smooshed...

A guy named Col. John Stapp survived 46.2 G on a rocket sled in 1954, but his vision was damaged. Short duration forces of over 100 G have been survived by race car drivers during crashes.

Col. John Stapp's tests (they have the G number wrong)

• 2 weeks later...

Here we go....

http://www.faa.gov/about/office_org/headquarters_offices/ast/environmental/review/permits/

Final FAA DragonFly Environmental Assessment

August 8, 2014

Link...(PDF)

DEPARTMENT OF TRANSPORTATION

Federal Aviation Administration

Office of Commercial Space Transportation; Finding of No Significant Impact

AGENCY: Federal Aviation Administration (FAA)

ACTION: Finding of No Significant Impact (FONSI)

>

I was like... how the hell did they manage to produce a 109 page document on such a permit :X

Then I saw that ALL correspondance was included in the appendixes... damn :P Funny to see how it takes 4 months just for somebody like the 'State Historic Preservation Officer' to review if any historic sites in the area could be affected... I know a lot of these run in tandem, but it's just mindboggling how you need to clear this crap with like, a bazillion agencies and interested parties to get going :S

Now you know the real reason nothing gets done in this country. Congress is like 1% of the problem, the other 99% being these executive agencies and their tin horn bureaucrats dictators.

Now you know the real reason nothing gets done in this country. Congress is like 1% of the problem, the other 99% being these executive agencies and their tin horn bureaucrats dictators.

And don't forget all the NIMBY's (Not In My Back Yard)...

Normally after an EIS clears there is a 30 day public comment period. After that the applicant can put in the permit application, and that approval takes at least 2 weeks.

Now....this was found to not warrant an EIS, but the paperwork is issued anyhow. They may or may not have to go through the comment period. We don't know yet.