Photo

Just got an email from Cox

• Please log in to reply
58 replies to this topic

#1 Scraggles

Scraggles

RootLeak

Posted 21 May 2014 - 20:28

So, I've never had this happen to me. I just signed up to Cox last month and I have their highest internet possible. 150mbps. Well today I got an email saying that I was 21gb over my 'limit' What. The. ######? Limit? So I looked a little more into it and after reformatting and updating a few games from steam, Downloading Wolfenstein in steam... in the past 2 days I used 200gb.... What is this ######? Apparently cox will terminate my service if I go over again. Well ###### Cox. I have NEVER had a 'limit' on my bandwidth and for the price I'm paying they should be shutting the ###### up. I'm not one of those 10mbps users. I PAY so I can download at top speeds. Has anyone else had this problem and is there a way to resolve it easily? I foresee myself going over my limit every single month. I'm almost constantly streaming to netflix. Playing online games, while broadcasting through twitch. On my old provider(Road Runner) in new york, I averaged 800gb per month.

#2 Brian M.

Brian M.

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 11

Posted 21 May 2014 - 20:32

Does your contract state there's a limit?

#3 OP Scraggles

Scraggles

RootLeak

Posted 21 May 2014 - 20:34

Who knows. They never gave me a copy of it.

#4 daorbed9

daorbed9

Neowinian

Posted 21 May 2014 - 20:35

Good luck with that.  They are known to not give a crap.

#5 Raze

Raze

Mentally Compromised

Posted 21 May 2014 - 20:35

here is some info regarding accounts and limits - http://ww2.cox.com/a...ge.cox#useguide

Contact Cox, I have never had a bad experience with them in nearly 10 years of using their services.

#6 +warwagon

warwagon

Only you can prevent forest fires.

• Tech Issues Solved: 3

Posted 21 May 2014 - 20:37

How much do you pay a month? That really is ######## that the 150mbps service is capped at a fracking low 200 GB's

I'm sad for you :(

I'm pretty lucky I guess I pay $69 per month for a 15mbps service but with no caps. Last month I went over 350 gigs. I can't even fathom caps. That would suck some serious balls.

I agree with you. If you pay for premium service, you should get premium speeds and no ######ing caps! That's ######!

#7 Raze

Raze

Mentally Compromised

Posted 21 May 2014 - 20:43

The upload/download cap is 400 gigabytes/month for the 150Mbps "Ultimate" package.

#8 +techbeck

techbeck

It's not that I am lazy, it's that I just don't care

• Tech Issues Solved: 14

Posted 21 May 2014 - 20:47

ISP caps are going to be a big issue soon.  With more cloud services coming and more and more software being/wanting to be download only.....ISPs are going to hold back progress.

#9 xendrome

xendrome

In God We Trust; All Others We Monitor

• Tech Issues Solved: 14

Posted 21 May 2014 - 20:54

See 12. - http://ww2.cox.com/a...us/policies.cox

Then - http://ww2.cox.com/a...speedsusage.cox

#10 OP Scraggles

Scraggles

RootLeak

Posted 21 May 2014 - 21:02

Yes, the cap is 400GB/month. I used 200GB in the past 2 days. I'm at 421 for the month as of today. So... I'm supposed to not do anything on my internet until the cycle resets??? I've known of caps in other countries, but in the US I haven't ever heard of caps outside of mobile networks. 

Looks like I won't be able to download Watchdogs this month. Preordered for what...? Should have gone to the store to get it. Can't get Wildstar either. The two games will easily push 100gb alone.

#11 Lizardslap

Lizardslap

Neowinian

Posted 21 May 2014 - 21:07

I have cox and have gotten that email before if it wasent the only option in town I would have given them the finger long ago

#12 +LogicalApex

LogicalApex

Software Engineer

• Tech Issues Solved: 8
  • Phone: Nexus 5

Posted 21 May 2014 - 21:13

Ouch. I would swap ISPs. That is a bit crazy...

A 400GB cap on a 150Mbps line is just pathetic. You shouldn't have to worry about how much you exhaust the line you're paying for. They should be forced to suffer the punishment for oversubscribing their lines.

#13 +warwagon

warwagon

Only you can prevent forest fires.

• Tech Issues Solved: 3

Posted 21 May 2014 - 21:16

Yes, the cap is 400GB/month. I used 200GB in the past 2 days. I'm at 421 for the month as of today. So... I'm supposed to not do anything on my internet until the cycle resets??? I've known of caps in other countries, but in the US I haven't ever heard of caps outside of mobile networks. 

Looks like I won't be able to download Watchdogs this month. Preordered for what...? Should have gone to the store to get it. Can't get Wildstar either. The two games will easily push 100gb alone.

Exactly, at that speed you could easily pull down 200GB a day, I can't even imagine that type of speed coming from a 15 meg service. on 150 how many megs down does that translate into? I get about 2 megs per second.

#14 Brian M.

Brian M.

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 11

Posted 21 May 2014 - 21:19

Yeah that's ridiculous. The only people who would pay for a 150mbit line are heavy users.

#15 OP Scraggles

Scraggles

RootLeak

Posted 21 May 2014 - 21:23

Exactly, at that speed you could easily pull down 200GB a day, I can't even imagine that type of speed coming from a 15 meg service. on 150 how many megs down does that translate into? I get about 2 megs per second.

I download at over 20MB/s. Wolfenstein took about 45 minutes and its a 50GB game.