Just got an email from Cox

That's slowly dying off now though, after Virgin's run in with the Advertising Standards Authority over here. It was common practice to advertise broadband as being unlimited, but then have a "fair usage policy". Up until recently, Virgin would drop your speed by up to 60% when you downloaded a set amount (e.g. 5-10GB) during peak hours. They were slapped on the wrist by the ASA and told that they can no longer advertise as unlimited with the fair usage policy, so they removed the policy.

Moreover, the ASA were annoyed by how complicated virgin made the policy. Heck, I have a MSc in a computer science related topic and I struggled to understand the restrictions sometimes - so how are your average joe computer users supposed to keep track of it.

Virgin does still have limits in place, but they will only throttle P2P and Newsgroups now, and its still 4pm - midnight, weekdays, and 11am - 11pm on the weekends, but only seems for uploading, so if I want to stream to Twitch I am boned unless I do it during the day, during the week, and a no go on the weekend  :angry:

From their page

Is traffic management used in relation to heavy users? Yes Under what

circumstances? We manage traffic between the hours of 4pm to 11pm each weekday and 11am to 11pm at weekends. During these times we manage upstream traffic depending on the customer?s usage. This typically impacts less than 3% of users per day, and ensures the vast majority of customers have a great online experience when they want to use the internet the most. Level of speed reduction? The 1 hour reduction on the uploads is 50%

The 2 hour reduction on the uploads is 65% Duration of speed reduction? For a minimum of 1 to 2 hours depending on the customers usage, but this can last until after the end of peak period if the customer is a heavy user at peak times.

Traffic type Blocked Slowed down Prioritised Peer to Peer (P2P)   Yes   Newsgroups   Yes

But yes the old page was a complete ball ache to work out what was being slowed down when, and for how long

I get an overage email from cox every month and after 3 years they have never cut me off. Its more of a courtesy notice.

I totally agree that he should have read the contract, but cmon, please raise your hand if you read the full itunes terms and conditions every time after an update...

Yes the cap is very dumb, should be a lot higher than that considering the speed of internet your paying for. Please update and let us know what they tell you.

south-park-s15e01c07-im-gonna-clickdecli

In an ideal world, it should have been 150Mbps till 400 GB. After that 5 Mbps. It still gets the job done without complaints or unnecessary emails.

In an ideal world, it should have been 150Mbps till 400 GB. After that 5 Mbps. It still gets the job done without complaints or unnecessary emails.

never mind an ideal world; in a non-corrupt world, it should be unmetered.

This is why I've stuck with comcast, there is supposed to be a cap but due to all the stink made about it it has been suspended in my area, I'll be the first one to raise hell if they dare implement it again too

I'm pretty lucky I guess I pay $69 per month for a 15mbps service but with no caps. Last month I went over 350 gigs. I can't even fathom caps. That would suck some serious balls.

I agree with you. If you pay for premium service, you should get premium speeds and no ####ing caps! That's ########!

Damn, you guys have it bad. For comparison, 1000Mbps / 100 Mbps for $120 / month, no caps, here in Sweden.

• 4 months later...

Virgin does still have limits in place, but they will only throttle P2P and Newsgroups now, and its still 4pm - midnight, weekdays, and 11am - 11pm on the weekends, but only seems for uploading, so if I want to stream to Twitch I am boned unless I do it during the day, during the week, and a no go on the weekend  :angry:

From their page

Is traffic management used in relation to heavy users? Yes Under what

circumstances? We manage traffic between the hours of 4pm to 11pm each weekday and 11am to 11pm at weekends. During these times we manage upstream traffic depending on the customer?s usage. This typically impacts less than 3% of users per day, and ensures the vast majority of customers have a great online experience when they want to use the internet the most. Level of speed reduction? The 1 hour reduction on the uploads is 50%

The 2 hour reduction on the uploads is 65% Duration of speed reduction? For a minimum of 1 to 2 hours depending on the customers usage, but this can last until after the end of peak period if the customer is a heavy user at peak times.

Traffic type Blocked Slowed down Prioritised Peer to Peer (P2P)   Yes   Newsgroups   Yes

But yes the old page was a complete ball ache to work out what was being slowed down when, and for how long

My newsgroups have never been throttled.