Surface Mini picture from Surface Pro 3 announcement

Here is something I noticed while whatching Surface Pro 3 presentation:

SurfacePro3announce.jpg

At the very end of it, we see Surface Pro 3 and some other Surface device to the left. I added the picture of Surface 2 for reference and as you can see touch cover is quite different from any other Surface models we know. Layout is more compact and centered leaving no place for trackpad.

But when perspective correction applied, it's also become apparent that device have 3:2 aspect ratio just like Surface Pro 3 and 4 rows of tiles also proves it.

SurfacePro3announce2.jpg

SurfaceMini.jpg

So there you have it. One thing that's cleared up is that it does have a kickstand and I wouldn't be surprised if it's a same hinge as SP3.

I already posted about it in comment here.

• Like 2

It doesn't look too much smaller than the Surface Pro 3. Surely not the Mini?

• Like 2

It doesn't look too much smaller than the Surface Pro 3. Surely not the Mini?

It's not easy to tell because perspective is skewed 2 times, but you can compare the covers and it seems like Surface on the left is something like 8".

It's not easy to tell because perspective is skewed 2 times, but you can compare the covers and it seems like Surface on the left is something like 8".

I hope that it is. I've been looking to replace my original Nexus 7 for a while now and really wanted them to announce the smaller Surface. 

Fingers crossed it's not been killed off as rumoured, if it has I'll wait until I/O and see if anything is announced then.

Strange, why is the windows key position different to the Pro 3?

Maybe it's just unfinished. If you look closely, keyboard layout is kinda skewed and goes slightly diagonally, which implies that it might be edited in PS.

SurfacePro3andMini_covers1.jpg

This is not much accurate perspective correction and shadows make it hard to tell where actual edges are.

But it does seem to be not much smaller like this, so it might be just Surface 3.

EDIT: just calculated by the width with expected aspect ratio and it appears to be about 16% smaller which really makes it 10,1" but 3:2 instead of 16:9. That's indeed not mini.

It looks like a Surface 1/2.  If you look at the Surface 3 you can tell the image is stretched vertically.  The smaller one just looks like a stretched 2.  And if they were going to do a new product, wouldn't they put the Windows button on the right to make all new products the same?

It looks like a Surface 1/2.  If you look at the Surface 3 you can tell the image is stretched vertically.  The smaller one just looks like a stretched 2.  And if they were going to do a new product, wouldn't they put the Windows button on the right to make all new products the same?

That might be the case, I think they stretched the Surface 2 into 3:2 aspect ratio and slapped same screenshot as on SP3. The question is, why would they do that and why did it actually appear in presentation.

Here's your picture with a Surface 3 added to it.  See how the monitor on your original is stretched vertically?

post-2250-0-67364800-1400758704.jpg

That being said, all Surface 1 and 2 pictures that I've seen have the Start screen 3 rows high.  This new picture has a 4 row high Start screen like the new Surface Pro 3.

Here's your picture with a Surface 3 added to it.  See how the monitor on your original is stretched vertically?

attachicon.gifSurfacePro3announce.jpg

That being said, all Surface 1 and 2 pictures that I've seen have the Start screen 3 rows high.  This new picture has a 4 row high Start screen like the new Surface Pro 3.

It's stretched because of perspective. It's originally under angle and then the camera is adding another angle. It's not clear if it's either Surface 3 or Surface mini mockup or what.

But I think Surface mini would also have Windows button at the side and possibly type cover will lose trackpad in favor to folding magnet that stabilizes the cover on device.

Thats because they used the same screen image on both and just dropped it in with PS.

These are mockups created using image editors. Don't put much thought in to them.

For example, for both of the devices, the keyboard is just too small to cover the whole tablet when closed.

its just a mock up but still its a little hint that the device does exist. and also that whomever does their photoshop is not very good at angles.

Doesn't look Mini to me.

Yep, just looks like a skewed Surface Pro 2

That might be the case, I think they stretched the Surface 2 into 3:2 aspect ratio and slapped same screenshot as on SP3. The question is, why would they do that and why did it actually appear in presentation.

I think the presentation guys who put it together wanted it to look uniform so they just took a screenshot of the pro 3 and PS'd into the Pro 2 which they thought was a Surface 2, but by the kickstand being black not the silver Surface 2 color, they probably grabbed the wrong device. Remember, they were SUPPOSED to announce a mini, so there was probably a bunch of last minute PowerPoint changes and PhotoShopping going on.

It is just a photoshopped image and you can also turn on an extra row of tiles in 8.1 even on the Surface (first gen).

• 11 months later...