Domain controller 2003 naar 2008R2

Hi guys,

on my organisation we have two Domain controllers 2003R2.

the idea is to migrate to Windows 2008R2 because we have some servers running on Forest level 2000.

what i need to know is the next :

DC1   Server 2003R2   IP 192.168.2.2

DC2  Server 2003R2    IP 192.168.2.2

New sevrrs 2008R2

DC01  Server 2008R2   IP 192.168.2.3

DC02  Server 2008R2  IP 192.168.2.4

the idea is add DC01 to the domain that DC1 manage, and migrate the FSMO rolles to the DC1.

after i demote the DC1 i want to reuse it IP on the DC01 on the server.

my question is if i reuse it IP, all statice client will remain working ? 

the reason why i need to reuse the IT is because i have about 100 static servers running. and can't change them in one day.

Please advice !

Thank you so much guys,

i just managed to figure out the DC2 server 2003R2   IP 192.168.2.2 is just a replication server.

all the rules are on the DC1 Server 2003R2   IP 192.167.2.3

is my plan still gonna be the same or i need to change something ?

Couple of things,

1 is the DC just a DC?  If it is then there is no reason to go through with giving it the same ip address

2 if the DC is not a DC then you will need to do more than just give it the same ip address as AD works off of DNS.  What do you see breaking if you don't change the IP? 

Most services connect to the server by UNC name or entries in the AD database.  If it is just a DC, once the database knows and understands that the new 2008 server is the new role masters.  It makes no difference what IP it is on or where it is located as long as the servers can communicate to it. 

I have been doing these since 2002, it is pretty easy...it becomes complex when you want to change the actual domain name and retain all of your settings.  It is very simple to add in a new server to take over the roles and it is even easier if the server is just a DC, not a file server, a sql server, a backup server, etc.  Those services can be moved, but 99% of the time everything is handled through unc path not by the ip of the host for many reasons and require a dns pointer or forward to be created to tell the network to look at the new server as the old server...not changing the ip of the new server to match the old server.

Edit: If you are worried about the dns servers in the adapter settings, you can change that pretty easily.  you can run a quick script manually or when you logon to the servers via  a logon script.  or as you said change the ip of the DC around or leave the old server up until you are fully ready to decommission it.

Thank you so much sir for your explination !

on this DC is a Domain controller with DHCP server on it,

is there is a way to migrate the DHCP server to the new domain controller ?

thank you so much sir SC302,

one last questions,

i wanna reuse the IP adres of the first domain controllers,

but i dont wanna demote them first,

i want to turn them off and reuse their IPS on the new DC and see how it works,

is it going to have any impact in the DC ?

should i disable the replication between both the domain controllers before transfering the FSMO ?

You don't have to demote unless you are completely removing them or if you are going to remove them for over 90 days. You can leave them domain controllers, what I would consider doing is giving them a new ip and giving the new ones the ip of the old controllers. This way it will be as smooth as can be. I would also consider doing this after hours for minimum effect to users.

You need to make sure dns is correct before you do the fsmo roles. Dns must be replicating without issue. If dns is working active directory replication should follow suit. Once you have verified both are replicating properly in the event logs you should be able to transfer the fsmo roles without a problem.

You need to make sure dns is correct before you do the fsmo roles. Dns must be replicating without issue. If dns is working active directory replication should follow suit. Once you have verified both are replicating properly in the event logs you should be able to transfer the fsmo roles without a problem.

Do you mean the i need to reuse the IPS before transfering the FSMO ?

You do not need to reuse the IPs to transfer the FSMO roles, but if you were testing the new DC's (which can be done before transfering the FSMO roles) put them in place where you want them to be, ip address wise.  fsmo roles take less than a second to move and have no impact to the end users.  The biggest impact would be changing the IPs around.

Thank you sir,

i know the biggest impact is changing the IPs arround which will take times ( days ).

the idea is i will will reuse the IP of both exisiting DC temp to check if all remain working,

afterware i want to demote the old ones when all is tested and working fine.

what do you think about my plan ?

its not stoping the service, i was wondering during the migration if i can disable the replication between both DC.

but if it gonna have any impact i won't

thank you so much