elections uk europe

• Please log in to reply
52 replies to this topic

#1 Willish

Willish

Neowinian

• 58 posts

Posted 22 May 2014 - 15:40

For those of you in the UK, who are you voting for in the European elections and why?

I still can't make my mind up!

#2 spikey_richie

spikey_richie

XXXIII

• 2,590 posts
  • Phone: Sony Xperia Z1

Posted 22 May 2014 - 15:50

If you can't decide, you can always abstain. There's nothing worse than voting for someone, then resenting it once you've put the ballot paper in.

You also don't state whether you're pro-Eurozone.

#3 +ChuckFinley

ChuckFinley

member_id=28229

• 9,608 posts

Posted 22 May 2014 - 15:57

The weirdest sounding one I can find lol!! 

#4 spikey_richie

spikey_richie

XXXIII

• 2,590 posts

Posted 22 May 2014 - 16:02

As long as it's anyone but We Demand A Referendum Now then we're safe, Nikki Sinclair is nuts! Well, technically she has no nuts as he's a she now, but she's just out to taunt Farage.

#5 Aergan

Aergan

Neowinian Senior

• 2,358 posts
  • OS: Xubuntu 14.04.1 / Server 2012 R2 / Ubuntu Server 14.04.1

Posted 22 May 2014 - 16:11

Went with the Mrs to vote earlier on as I'd taken the day off of work. I think technically my daughter decided for me as I think at the tender age of 6 she's a better decision maker than those listed on the ballot paper.

#6 spikey_richie

spikey_richie

XXXIII

• 2,590 posts

Posted 22 May 2014 - 16:20

Went with the Mrs to vote earlier on as I'd taken the day off of work. I think technically my daughter decided for me as I think at the tender age of 6 she's a better decision maker than those listed on the ballot paper.

My 20 month old would be able to make a more informed decision than me, so +1 with you on that.

#7 MightyJordan

MightyJordan

Don't stop BOlieving!

• 16,200 posts
  • Phone: Google Nexus 5 32GB

Posted 22 May 2014 - 16:24

I voted for the Green Party. Down here in the south-west, you didn't really have much of a choice if you're left-wing. Take a look at the ballot paper I had...

10344022_10152207788777830_303907356_o.jpg

Eight parties to choose from, seven of them right-wing. Most of them are summed up in the Political Compass...

uk2010.php

The two not in that chart are An Independence from Europe and the English Democrats; the former is basically UKIP formed by an MEP who was deselected as a UKIP candidate, and the latter is the political wing of the English Defence League, a group who arguably verges on terrorism.

#8 OP Willish

Willish

Neowinian

• 58 posts

Posted 22 May 2014 - 16:28

To be honest I don't want to leave the EU completely, but I'm not happy with the current state of affairs.

#9 MightyJordan

MightyJordan

Don't stop BOlieving!

• 16,200 posts

Posted 22 May 2014 - 16:32

To be honest I don't want to leave the EU completely, but I'm not happy with the current state of affairs.

I'm the same; that's partially why I voted Green. Obviously I put policies first and I chose based on that.

...well, sort of. On both Vote for Policies and Vote Match (who are both seemingly being hammered with traffic right now), the Lib Dems came out top for me (the Greens were 2nd), but if the past four years have proven anything, it's that they're good at lying and they'll happily betray their voters to get even the tiniest sniff of power.

#10 Sir Topham Hatt

Sir Topham Hatt

A Very Talented Individual

• 6,744 posts

Posted 24 May 2014 - 18:05

I voted UKIP.

I think our country needs something different to the usual Connies and Labourers that do nothing but squabble with each other.

Even if they're only in for one term, it'll show the others that they need to be realistic to what the people are saying, not what their friends in Europe are saying.  The only thing I am put off by is UKIP's automatic no to Europe.  Even though I would vote no, there should still be a referendum.

No to Euro because they make such stupid laws sometimes.

Like driving lights on cars...  I had a hire car once that the driving lights were brighter than the dipped lights.  Plus, in the middle of the day when the sun is shining bright, why do we need lights to see the vehicle?  It dazzles me sometimes, which is surely dangerous?

However, there have been a couple of Euro laws that I have supported, but can't even remember what they are.

And I hope we'll still be able to enter in the Eurovision!

#11 Richard C.

Richard C.

Neowinian Senior

• 3,647 posts
  • Phone: iPhone 5

Posted 25 May 2014 - 12:47

I found it hard to vote in this election, I'm a huge car person as well as technology person so I didn't want to vote green even though a lot of their non-transport policies made sense. 

#12 MightyJordan

MightyJordan

Don't stop BOlieving!

• 16,200 posts

Posted 25 May 2014 - 20:54

I found it hard to vote in this election, I'm a huge car person as well as technology person so I didn't want to vote green even though a lot of their non-transport policies made sense. 

Could you elaborate on the technology part, please? I didn't see anything in the Green Party's policies that made them seem anti-technology. On the car front, yes, they do come off a little anti-car with the reduction of speed limits in their transport policy, but their main focus seems to be on improving public transport to the point where people would choose that over driving themselves. On the flipside though, they'd want to abolish the car/road tax too and instead bring in "a purchase tax on new cars that reflects their emissions", which makes sense in my eyes; it's how road tax currently works, but it'd only affect anyone buying new cars and it'd give an extra incentive to buy electric cars, which are now arguably at the point where they're suitable enough for daily use for most drivers, with the initial cost still being the biggest hurdle.

#13 MightyJordan

MightyJordan

Don't stop BOlieving!

• 16,200 posts

Posted 25 May 2014 - 21:11

The first results are starting to come in now.

#14 MightyJordan

MightyJordan

Don't stop BOlieving!

• 16,200 posts

Posted 25 May 2014 - 21:15

North East England's declared. Three seats, two went to Labour, the other to UKIP; the Conservatives and Lib Dems lost their sole seats there to UKIP and Labour.

#15 MightyJordan

MightyJordan

Don't stop BOlieving!

• 16,200 posts

Posted 25 May 2014 - 21:30

East England's declared. Seven seats, three each to the Tories and UKIP, one to Labour; Lib Dems lost their sole seat to UKIP.