• Please log in to reply
70 replies to this topic

#1 DocM

DocM

Neowinian Senior

• 17,795 posts

Posted 23 May 2014 - 11:48

http://hosted.ap.org...-05-23-04-11-00

NASHVILLE, Tenn. (AP) -- As the rest of the nation debates the feasibility and humanity of lethal injections against a backdrop of scarce drugs and botched executions, Tennessee has come up with an alternative: the electric chair.

Republican Gov. Bill Haslam signed a bill into law Thursday allowing the state to electrocute death row inmates in the event prisons are unable to obtain the drugs, which have become more and more scarce following a European-led boycott of drug sales for executions.

Tennessee lawmakers overwhelmingly passed the electric chair legislation in April, with the Senate voting 23-3 and the House 68-13 in favor of the bill.

Tennessee is the first state to enact a law to reintroduce the electric chair without giving prisoners an option, said Richard Dieter, executive director of the Death Penalty Information Center, a Washington-based nonprofit organization that opposes executions and tracks the issue.
>

article-2263723-16F580B5000005DC-537_306

#2 Nick H.

Nick H.

Neowinian Senior

• 11,572 posts

Posted 23 May 2014 - 11:51

Well that's shocking (yes, that pun might have been slightly intentional.) And the prisoners don't get a choice in the matter? :/

#3 Haggis

Haggis

Neowinian Senior

• 2,532 posts
  • Phone: Samsung Galaxy S3 LTE (i9305)

Posted 23 May 2014 - 11:54

why should they?

#4 Torolol

Torolol

• 2,948 posts

Posted 23 May 2014 - 12:05

is it cost effective?

#5 link6155

link6155

Neowinian

• 863 posts

Posted 23 May 2014 - 12:11

Well that's shocking (yes, that pun might have been slightly intentional.) And the prisoners don't get a choice in the matter? :/

Well their victim(s) didn't get to choose how they died, however some of the method used in capital punishment seems a bit extreme to me.

#6 Nick H.

Nick H.

Neowinian Senior

• 11,572 posts

Posted 23 May 2014 - 12:22

why should they?

Well their victim(s) didn't get to choose how they died, however some of the method used in capital punishment seems a bit extreme to me.

Just because they committed an inhumane act doesn't mean that we should lower ourselves to their level, personally.

#7 FloatingFatMan

FloatingFatMan

Resident Fat Dude

• 15,895 posts

Posted 23 May 2014 - 12:49

Just because they committed an inhumane act doesn't mean that we should lower ourselves to their level, personally.

The very act of execution lowers everyone who supports it to that level already.  Doing it cruelly lowers them further.

#8 jakem1

jakem1

Neowinian Senior

• 6,561 posts

Posted 23 May 2014 - 12:59

With various states having to consider even more barbaric execution methods (gas chambers, the electric chair, firing squads) it won't be long before the only Americans left supporting the death penalty will be the extremists.  At that point it will be easier for governments to start banning this medieval practice and it will mark a great victory for the European Commission.

#9 Fresh

Fresh

It's always best Fresh!

• 9,322 posts

Posted 23 May 2014 - 14:23

I understand what some of you are saying, we are much to sophisticated and proper to support capital punishment....if you do then you are some backward thinking idiot. 

I have seen how murders, rapists, child molesters, and others are treated in our system.  Most are treated better than our homeless....for the most heinous i would support some type of true punishment like hard labor for the rest of their lives.

However i do think of taxpayer dollars as well, taking the emotion out of it, do we pay to house these monsters for the rest of their life? I am torn... 

#10 Draconian Guppy

Draconian Guppy

LippyZillaD Council

• 14,859 posts

Posted 23 May 2014 - 14:24

wasn't this deemed as "inhumane" ?

#11 ShadowMajestic

ShadowMajestic

Neowinian Senior

• 5,840 posts
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 920

Posted 23 May 2014 - 14:33

I understand what some of you are saying, we are much to sophisticated and proper to support capital punishment....if you do then you are some backward thinking idiot. 

I have seen how murders, rapists, child molesters, and others are treated in our system.  Most are treated better than our homeless....for the most heinous i would support some type of true punishment like hard labor for the rest of their lives.

However i do think of taxpayer dollars as well, taking the emotion out of it, do we pay to house these monsters for the rest of their life? I am torn... 

Go fix that instead of trying to kill them. IMO murderers, rapists, child molesters and the don't deserve good treatment, but they don't deserve death either.

Modernized concentration camps perhaps, quite basic food and drinks, a bed and a shared bathroom/shower and work 8-10 hours a day, give us cheap stuff the rest of their worthless lives. Make them useful!

#12 FloatingFatMan

FloatingFatMan

Resident Fat Dude

• 15,895 posts

Posted 23 May 2014 - 14:36

Go fix that instead of trying to kill them. IMO murderers, rapists, child molesters and the don't deserve good treatment, but they don't deserve death either.

Modernized concentration camps perhaps, quite basic food and drinks, a bed and a shared bathroom/shower and work 8-10 hours a day, give us cheap stuff the rest of their worthless lives. Make them useful!

I could go along with something like this, though then you'd get people moping about slavery.

It's not slavery, it's repaying a debt to the society they harmed.

#13 Fresh

Fresh

It's always best Fresh!

• 9,322 posts

Posted 23 May 2014 - 15:13

I could go along with something like this, though then you'd get people moping about slavery.

It's not slavery, it's repaying a debt to the society they harmed.

I am all for it, when do we start :)

#14 OP DocM

DocM

Neowinian Senior

• 17,795 posts

Posted 23 May 2014 - 19:02

With various states having to consider even more barbaric execution methods (gas chambers, the electric chair, firing squads) it won't be long before the only Americans left supporting the death penalty will be the extremists.

>

Recent polls put support for capital punishment at 60% and opposition around 33-35%. It hasn't been out of favor since the mid-1960's, and that was a statistical spike that lasted for a year. It generally fluctuates between 55% and 80%.

#15 Astra.Xtreme

Astra.Xtreme

Electrical Engineer

• 8,170 posts

Posted 23 May 2014 - 21:11

If you run enough electrical current directly through the heart and brain, it will be a quick and painless death.

It's honestly a lot more reliable and predictable than a lethal injection.