Drone Takes Golden Retriever for a Walk

Jeff Myers has created quite a stir with his video showing a dog being walked by a drone.

That's right, a drone.

In the minute-long clip titled "Walking Dogs With Drones" that was posted to Vimeo May 13, the dog - a golden retriever - can be seen being attached to the leash, which is itself attached to the drone.

The dog appears to be unfazed as it walks down the street while being led by the drone, although a few passersby in the neighborhood do curious double-takes. Back inside the home, the dog's position is being tracked on a map on a computer screen.

Chill music plays throughout the clip.

Myers told "Good Morning America" that the drone was just a prototype.

source

post-37120-0-78202500-1400915752.jpg

wow way to be lazy, interesting to see the technology get more mainstream use rather than for death and spying purposes however I can't help but feel if the dog saw something and chased after it a drone wouldn't be able to stop it and if it could stop it what harm would it be doing as the drone unlikely has to touch to restrain the dog without harming it.

Wouldn't be legal with the spring to fall leash laws over here anyway, even outside of the leash season it wouldn't be legal as your supposed to have your dog securely leashed if you don't have full control of it.

If someone uses a drone to walk his dog, clearly this person has not understood what he means to have a pet

Get a robot dog. emoticon-animal-003.gif

Reminds me of the robot from "Batteries Not Included" taking the dog for a walk in Back to the Future II.

Are we forgetting that someone who is ill, temporarily disabled or handicapped may have days where this could be of legitimate benefit?

Except unless America has no laws about how a dog is to be safely restrained, this would be not only ridiculous but illegal.

a drone that could hold even a small dog would need to be a powerful ground based one, and then it's so expensive it makes no sense. besides that most dog won't be comfortable with a drone anyway. 

*aka, how to lose your dog and your drone within minutes.

Wouldn't last long around here. Both would be being sold for crack, after it's first outing.

'Merica

Only you guys could think up a way to make yourselves even more lazy. 

Props for inventiveness thou.

• Like 1

Are we forgetting that someone who is ill, temporarily disabled or handicapped may have days where this could be of legitimate benefit?

I'd have my dog bringing me food & drink from the fridge.

If this is such a case, it is unlikely that one will be able to take care of the household chores such as buying the grocery store, doing the laundry or the cleaning.

There are plenty of human helpers for that. Same for the pets, heck a 5 buck bills to the kid next door is going to do the trick.

If someone uses a drone to walk his dog, clearly this person has not understood what it means to have a pet

While I agree with you, I must say that I believe dogs are more than just pets. They are friends for life!

Epic laziness at its finest. Wow.

• Like 1

While I agree with you, I must say that I believe dogs are more than just pets. They are friends for life!

Pets are family members to me so using a drone instead of spending time with them, that is just completely insane.

• Like 2

Pets are family members to me so using a drone instead of spending time with them, that is just completely insane.

I wasn't disagreeing with you in my previous post.

how did you know? scientific citation needed.

Experience. Dogs don't like stuff that move but don't have body heat like or makes weird sounds.