Blue screen of death joke over for Microsoft?

I was conscripted to the hate 8 club :p

FYI: the Start Screen is just a giant Start menu.

• Like 2

FYI: the Start Screen is just a giant Start menu.

no, lies, misinformation and propaganda, the start screen is a government experiment to control our brainwaves using bold and silly colours on a screen and tiles, I heard it from my cousin's brother's nephew's wife, so it must be true :p

• Like 1

Any idea what causes this?

Could be an OS bug or a driver problem. I can't say whether or not it's widespread, but that's my experience with Windows 8. I never get that problem with Linux. If an X session dies/locks up, I can just restart the display manager's systemd service and get a fresh desktop.

Perhaps we could try and find what causes the error.

I think Windows only provides a crash dump when it detects an unrecoverable state, at least to my knowledge, so it would be pretty hard to track down.

no, lies, misinformation and propaganda, the start screen is a government experiment to control our brainwaves using bold and silly colours on a screen and tiles, I heard it from my cousin's brother's nephew's wife, so it must be true :p

LMAO! Nice one!

If you setup Windows XP or newer up on a brand new system, and let it sit with no device drivers, patched it all the way up. It wouldn't EVER crash, unless it had some type of hardware/power failure.

A computer sitting there doing nothing is quite useless though isn't it? For it to be useful, it has to run programs, and that's when crashes/lockups occur. You could argue that it's not the OS, but in the end, all programs do is call functions (API's) in the OS. So ultimately, the crash always happens in the OS somewhere. Often that's caused by the misuse of API's, for example passing the wrong parameters or invalid memory locations. Still, the OS itself should perform some degree of validation.

I get them in my work computer every day but on my home computer I have only ever had one since I got the new machine. And the new windows 8 blue screen is not helpful at all you have to go into the event viewer to figure out what happened.

Haven't seen one for ages but my system is pretty modern and the drivers for everything apart from my USB chipset are bang up to date

Well yea they still exist -- there isn't an OS out there that won't crash royally if something goes wrong with the hardware, kernel, drivers, etc. GPU drivers for example can still crash, but at least nowadays it won't take the whole OS down with it.. Windows will typically recover, complain about it and move on. *Nix lets you restart the X server (usually, I've had it lock up hard before requiring a hard reset but that's infrequent), etc. Major failures will still throw a blue screen or kernel panic, they still exist... but barring hardware faults or user error it's pretty rare nowadays.

Actually the easiest way is to have an nVidia graphics card in your system...

Oh no he didn't... What you meant to say is "... having the catalyst drivers on your system"

• Like 1