Intercom Phone System To Cellphone

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 +bman

bman

Neowinian Senior

• 4,737 posts

Posted 25 May 2014 - 03:56

I just moved into a new Condo and they have an intercom system for the door.

I asked them about it and sadly, it's not based on a number. So there is no way to give a cell number or similar.

It just requires a phone to be plugged into the landline. I am not sure what that kind of system is called.

So I am wondering if there are any devices, or anything I can do/get to allow it to go to my cellphone?

I really don't want to get a home phone, have one sitting around just for that. I hate having extra crap.

So, anyone know of any solutions? Maybe some kind of box/device that plugs into the phone outlet (like ontop, replaces the default outlet) and sends the signal to my phone? Your may now say, so you want a device plugged into the outlet that isn't a phone? No, my suggestion would basically be hidden, replacing what is there, instead of a phone sitting there. Does that make sense? I don't think there is such a thing, but thought I'd ask.

Any ideas?

#2 +LogicalApex

LogicalApex

Software Engineer

• 6,216 posts
  • Phone: Nexus 5

Posted 25 May 2014 - 04:26

I haven't actually used a system like this as none of my apartments have ever had it. I will guess that it works by placing a phone call to this phone and then you punch in a code? 

If so, I would guess something like this Cisco Gateway would accomplish the task. Allowing you to connect to a SIP gateway and then forward from that gateway onto your cell. A pretty complicated setup if you ask me, but I can't think of an overall simpler one (you can come up with different component mixes, but you still need to grab a simulated PSTN call then forward it onto a PSTN line without phone service in place to leverage)...

It would likely be a lot easier to just tell guests to call you when they arrive? And you can walk down and grab them or just pick up a cheap old school phone for a couple of bucks and let that be that...

#3 OP +bman

bman

Neowinian Senior

• 4,737 posts

Posted 25 May 2014 - 16:50

Wow,

That does seem complicated and not even sure that would work with this system. I don't know the details, all I know it needs a phone plugged in, no phoneline, just a phone for it to work.

Yea, I think I am going to have to just put up with having an extra device sitting around I don't want. It's fine for family and friends to message me when they are here, deliveries and other things are a bit more of a hassle.

#4 +FiB3R

FiB3R

aka DARKFiB3R

• 7,358 posts
  • Phone: Lumia 930

Posted 25 May 2014 - 17:46

Write your phone number on the front door.

#5 Crimson Rain

Crimson Rain

Neowinian

• 1,194 posts
  • Phone: Lumia 1020 Yellow

Posted 25 May 2014 - 17:47

:rofl:

#6 shozilla

shozilla

Neowinian Senior

• 8,366 posts

Posted 25 May 2014 - 17:52

LOL

Anyway, there are systems that allow you to use your app via smartphone which you can be notified by the intercom/doorbell.

#7 OP +bman

bman

Neowinian Senior

• 4,737 posts

Posted 25 May 2014 - 18:08

uh what? Examples?

LOL

Anyway, there are systems that allow you to use your app via smartphone which you can be notified by the intercom/doorbell.

#8 shozilla

shozilla

Neowinian Senior

• 8,366 posts

Posted 25 May 2014 - 18:44

It was mentioned on TV years ago.. but I couldn't remember the name of it.

#9 Hum

Hum

totally wAcKed

• 62,532 posts

Posted 25 May 2014 - 23:51

Get 2 megaphones ...?

#10 Crimson Rain

Crimson Rain

Neowinian

• 1,194 posts
  • Phone: Lumia 1020 Yellow

Posted 26 May 2014 - 04:30

It is possible with SIP phones and PBX so you will get "calls" to Skype...but overly complicated for this task.