Photo

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 +chconline

chconline

I review, not promote.

• 13,154 posts

Posted 25 May 2014 - 23:44

The jist of it is Lenovo sold a laptop at a heavy discount to $279 with a quad core i7, dedicated graphics, and 1TB HDD only to send out generic cancellation emails a day later. The problem is they've done this before in the past, where they made allegedly had "price errors" only to cancel a bunch of orders after. Also, the link still worked for quite a while after they sent out the initial batch of cancellation emails.

Full story continually updated: http://aphnetworks.c...short-editorial

The original thread at RedFlagDeals: http://forums.redfla...-389-a-1484456/

Lenovo's FB page: https://www.facebook...t_id=0&filter=2

Twitter: https://twitter.com/...altime&src=hash

They're going to have a lot of fun facing this PR scenario :laugh:

#2 ViperAFK

ViperAFK

Neowinian Senior

• 10,841 posts

Posted 27 May 2014 - 07:53

Faux outrage from people who were trying to take advantage of something that was clearly a mistake.

#3 spenser.d

spenser.d

Neowinian Senior

• 10,860 posts

Posted 27 May 2014 - 10:30

Faux outrage from people who were trying to take advantage of something that was clearly a mistake.

Agreed.

#4 Brian M.

Brian M.

Neowinian Senior

• 12,653 posts

Posted 27 May 2014 - 10:36

You see this on HotUKDeals all the time.

Company misplaces, company doesn't honour, people quote several laws which are vaguely related to the topic, company issues refunds and doesn't respond, everyone forgets about it in a week.

#5 Denis W.

Denis W.

The True North!

• 16,327 posts
  • Phone: iPhone 4S

Posted 27 May 2014 - 12:20

I've briefly heard about this happening back home. Haven't been keeping up with it fully as I'm currently on vacation abroad.

But from what I gathered, people have this overly entitled attitude that takes advantage of any mistake seconds within someone discovering it. I'm not fully buying the "bait and switch" accusation since this clearly wasn't a deliberate attempt to boost sales - just a typo that everyone makes at some point.

That being said, often in stores if a customer catches an error at the register, they're entitled to the lower price. But not when the difference is off by hundreds of dollars!

Edit: the one legitimate source of rage is if Lenovo promised to refund a customer, and the refund hasn't happened yet. Otherwise, for others who are complaining of not having the price honoured, give it a rest.

#6 Top Qat

Top Qat

Neowinian

• 313 posts
  • Phone: Samsung Galaxy S 3

Posted 27 May 2014 - 12:26

Company misplaces, company doesn't honour, people quote several laws which are vaguely related to the topic, company issues refunds and doesn't respond, everyone forgets about it in a week.

Once the money have been taken, the order is deemed to be lawfully accepted by both parties. They MUST ship the order as specified.

Not sure of the exact wording, just Google Distance Selling Regulations and Contract Law stuff (edit: talking about the UK here).

#7 spikey_richie

spikey_richie

XXXIII

• 2,590 posts
  • Phone: Sony Xperia Z1

Posted 27 May 2014 - 12:29

Once the money have been taken, the order is deemed to be lawfully accepted by both parties. They MUST ship the order as specified.

Not sure of the exact wording, just Google Distance Selling Regulations and Contract Law stuff (edit: talking about the UK here).

The search term "Contract Law stuff" didn't bring much back, do you have any specific links?

#8 Top Qat

Top Qat

Neowinian

• 313 posts
  • Phone: Samsung Galaxy S 3

Posted 27 May 2014 - 15:32

Ok looked into this further. Looks I was a bit wrong.

The contract is complete once payment is taken AND the goods dispatched.

#9 LaP

LaP

Forget about it

• 5,811 posts

Posted 27 May 2014 - 15:44

Let's say i go in a store and since i have the hands full i put an item in my pocket and intend to pay it. Then at the cash register i forget about this item and don't pay it. Going out of the store a security guard arrest me and call the cop. Since it is a mistake will i have to face the consequences of my act or i'll be able to walk free?

That's one of my problems with the na society today. The consumers have no next to no right while the company can do whatever they want.

I'm not saying they should be required to fulfill the orders. But there should be legal consequences for such a mistake like a fine.

We charge kids for throwing food at school but let companies cancel proper orders without any consequence because it is a mistake. There's something wrong imo.

#10 spy beef

spy beef

Neowinian Senior

• 2,044 posts

Posted 27 May 2014 - 16:23

We need to start a worldwide boycott of companies like Lenovo.

They took my money, said they were going to refund on Friday, and I still yet to see money back in my account. They took it so fast, but takes so long to give it back.

#11 Ironman273

Ironman273

Neowinian Fanatic

• 7,970 posts
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 920

Posted 27 May 2014 - 16:29

Let's say i go in a store and since i have the hands full i put an item in my pocket and intend to pay it. Then at the cash register i forget about this item and don't pay it. Going out of the store a security guard arrest me and call the cop. Since it is a mistake will i have to face the consequences of my act or i'll be able to walk free?

That's one of my problems with the na society today. The consumers have no next to no right while the company can do whatever they want.

I'm not saying they should be required to fulfill the orders. But there should be legal consequences for such a mistake like a fine.

We charge kids for throwing food at school but let companies cancel proper orders without any consequence because it is a mistake. There's something wrong imo.

Having worked in a big retail chain for years I can tell you that if that were to happen and you turn around and say it was a mistake you will be allowed to either pay for the item or put it back. I remember one particular case where a guy filled his pocket with PS1 games (this was a while ago :D ) and start walking for the exit. We had him on camera and just had to wait for him to walk out. Once he did we intercepted him. Then we heard from corporate that we should let him pay for it (he didn't have enough money), then they wanted him to pay at our cost (cheaper than what an employee could pay) and finally pay for whatever items he could afford with the money he had. He then was allowed to go on his way.

So, no. People don't get locked away for shoplifting...

#12 Brian M.

Brian M.

Neowinian Senior

• 12,653 posts

Posted 27 May 2014 - 16:32

It's a common misbelief. Contract formation time is down to the actual T&C, there's no legal definition of the point of contract exchange.

If the T&C state that a contract is formed upon taking payment, then in the UK they'd have to legally fulfil them. If it's when shipped, they wouldn't. If they don't state a contract formation time, then it's a grey area - it would be reasonable though in such cases to set the time of formation at the time of payment. We also have the "loss of bargain" law, which makes it harder for companies to get out of it - since if a contract was formed and they back out of it, they're still legally liable for the difference between their price and a competitor's price. As with all consumer law stuff, getting places to accept this can often be fairly tricky though.

Obviously this is UK law, and doesn't apply to Canada though.

#13 spy beef

spy beef

Neowinian Senior

• 2,044 posts

Posted 27 May 2014 - 17:02

Huffington Post Canada: #LenovoGate: Laptop Maker Faces Its Worst-Ever Canadian PR Disaster
http://www.huffingto..._n_5398120.html