Photo

xbox one microsoft avatar support

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 s0nic69

s0nic69

NeoSonic

Posted 26 May 2014 - 21:55

With this being a long weekend, and me having no life, I have been spending a lot of time with my xbox one.

Today i thought i would edit my avatar, so i went on and i did some changes and saved them.

For the first time since i have gotten my xbox one, i realize that the avatars have been pretty much phased out.. I cant see any of my friends avatars and i cant show mine off...

Why can i even edit my avatar on xbox one if i cant use it? The standard images are cool and all, but would be nice to setup some unique dynamic content.

I think i was just kind of disappointed about it, anyone else feel the same way?

Edit:

So of course that right after i type this, i realize i can see avatars under Avatar>Friends. Still, i think it would be nice to see my avatar on the dashboard again, along with my top 3 friends or something...

#2 shozilla

shozilla

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 7

Posted 26 May 2014 - 21:58

avatars on 360 and XB1 are different... 

360 avatars are small and fixed.

XB1 avatars are big and scalable to the screen size.

and make sure you have the privacy settings changed to friends only or public.. so your friends can view your avatar and your profile.

#3 Andrew

Andrew

Guardian

• Tech Issues Solved: 9

Posted 26 May 2014 - 22:04

With this being a long weekend, and me having no life, I have been spending a lot of time with my xbox one.

Today i thought i would edit my avatar, so i went on and i did some changes and saved them.

For the first time since i have gotten my xbox one, i realize that the avatars have been pretty much phased out.. I cant see any of my friends avatars and i cant show mine off...

Why can i even edit my avatar on xbox one if i cant use it? The standard images are cool and all, but would be nice to setup some unique dynamic content.

I think i was just kind of disappointed about it, anyone else feel the same way?

Edit:

So of course that right after i type this, i realize i can see avatars under Avatar>Friends. Still, i think it would be nice to see my avatar on the dashboard again, along with my top 3 friends or something...

Yeah the feature is pretty buried in the menus. They aren't really in use anymore which is a shame, especially when they went to the effort of porting all the marketplace items.

What annoys me more is the advanced editor is gone, so you can't create your own poses/gamerpic. Just a selection of defaults (N)

#4 Aergan

Aergan

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 6
  • OS: Windows 8.1 Pro | Xubuntu | OSX Yosemite| Server 2012 R2 | Ubuntu Server
  • Phone: Sony Xperia Z1

Posted 26 May 2014 - 22:34

So, no more rocking out on Les Paul's?

#5 Andrew

Andrew

Guardian

• Tech Issues Solved: 9

Posted 26 May 2014 - 22:37

So, no more rocking out on Les Paul's?

Nope :( I miss my guitar prop too :laugh:

#6 Crisp

Crisp

To infinity and beyond

• Tech Issues Solved: 2

Posted 26 May 2014 - 22:38

avatars on 360 and XB1 are different... 

360 avatars are small and fixed.

XB1 avatars are big and scalable to the screen size.

and make sure you have the privacy settings changed to friends only or public.. so your friends can view your avatar and your profile.

I think he was refering to the stupid people you can make and waste your money on buying useless stuff for them which the Wii started with.

#7 shozilla

shozilla

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 7

Posted 26 May 2014 - 22:41

I think he was refering to the stupid people you can make and waste your money on buying useless stuff for them which the Wii started with.

I know that but I was letting him know about the avatar sizes on those consoles since he's new to XB1 and the privacy settings for the content/avatars.

#8 Aergan

Aergan

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 6
  • OS: Windows 8.1 Pro | Xubuntu | OSX Yosemite| Server 2012 R2 | Ubuntu Server
  • Phone: Sony Xperia Z1

Posted 26 May 2014 - 23:27

Nope :( I miss my guitar prop too :laugh:

:( Glad I still own two physical copies then, they can't take those from me! :D

#9 neoadorable

neoadorable

Neowinian Senior

Posted 27 May 2014 - 00:43

X1, 360, and Windows Phone avatars are completely separate now, it's a slight mess to be honest. But sonic, as you've discovered they still work on X1, it's just that they are not dynamic anymore and can only be used for your gamerpic, basically. Guess it's part of the more mature image X1 is trying to convey. Or perhaps Rare were wondering why someone would edit their avatar, before realizing it couldnt be used anyway :D

#10 Enron

Enron

Windows for Workgroups

• Tech Issues Solved: 1
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 900

Posted 27 May 2014 - 01:05

X1, 360, and Windows Phone avatars are completely separate now, it's a slight mess to be honest. But sonic, as you've discovered they still work on X1, it's just that they are not dynamic anymore and can only be used for your gamerpic, basically. Guess it's part of the more mature image X1 is trying to convey. Or perhaps Rare were wondering why someone would edit their avatar, before realizing it couldnt be used anyway :D

It's also a big mess when I can't see my XB1 achievements on Windows 8 or phone.

#11 neoadorable

neoadorable

Neowinian Senior

Posted 27 May 2014 - 01:32

It's also a big mess when I can't see my XB1 achievements on Windows 8 or phone.

This was one of the first things that struck me as just ridiculous. However, i then realized this is because X1 has been completely separated from the rest of our MS accounts to enable imports, due to the small number of official launch locations. It's the first MS device where the device locale and account locale can be completely different. It also ushered global XBL Gold accounts, which no one noticed and no one at MS thought was important enough to mention.

The situation is very silly when you can't see activity or achievements on friggin Xbox.com, but at the same time it nonetheless tallies gamerscore earned on X1. But because i understand why they did, it's not so bad...anyway in Sept X1 is going to be available pretty much everywhere so i expect full integration into our MS accounts by then.

#12 Enron

Enron

Windows for Workgroups

• Tech Issues Solved: 1
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 900

Posted 27 May 2014 - 01:43

This was one of the first things that struck me as just ridiculous. However, i then realized this is because X1 has been completely separated from the rest of our MS accounts to enable imports, due to the small number of official launch locations. It's the first MS device where the device locale and account locale can be completely different. It also ushered global XBL Gold accounts, which no one noticed and no one at MS thought was important enough to mention.

The situation is very silly when you can't see activity or achievements on friggin Xbox.com, but at the same time it nonetheless tallies gamerscore earned on X1. But because i understand why they did, it's not so bad...anyway in Sept X1 is going to be available pretty much everywhere so i expect full integration into our MS accounts by then.

Didn't realize that was why it hasn't happened yet. Still quite ridiculous. They really got nothing right with the XB1 launch, but at least now they're fixing it... month by month.

#13 neoadorable

neoadorable

Neowinian Senior

Posted 27 May 2014 - 01:51

Didn't realize that was why it hasn't happened yet. Still quite ridiculous. They really got nothing right with the XB1 launch, but at least now they're fixing it... month by month.

Not integrating their flagship device into our existing accounts seems grossly illogical, and they also did not properly advertise why they were doing things this way, which has caused a lot of confusion and mistrust. But my personal belief is that their hearts are in the right place and i know from many people around the world that this has enabled good X1 sales in locales where it's officially not available yet, which has made many gamers happy.

So i accept the situation. It's not that bad honestly, just download the SmarGlass app (of course NOT the same as the 360 SmartGlass app :laugh: ) and it even tells you how long you've played each game, your latest activities in that game, etc. Pretty cool while we wait for proper integration.

#14 OP s0nic69

s0nic69

NeoSonic

Posted 27 May 2014 - 04:29

lol, i just had not really played with the avatar tile, and i just figured that our avatars were popping up under our profile, but i was wrong.

Its just pretty upsetting because i have some really cool avatar props i have received from buying things and finishing games.  :iiam: 

#15 neoadorable

neoadorable

Neowinian Senior

Posted 27 May 2014 - 05:29

lol, i just had not really played with the avatar tile, and i just figured that our avatars were popping up under our profile, but i was wrong.

Its just pretty upsetting because i have some really cool avatar props i have received from buying things and finishing games.  :iiam: 

Yeah i know, for the time being those remain on your 360/WP/Win 8, X1 is not too fond of those....a new era, time to put away childish things - until an update allows us to pick them up again :pacifier: