Is getting a new GPU worth it?

upgrade gpu graphics card

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 Seizure1990

Seizure1990

Neowinian Senior

Posted 27 May 2014 - 01:35

Hello all. I have been getting lackluster performance in the games I play (Minecraft and WoT mainly, but I occasionally play others). Seems my rig is finally starting to show its age. Both games need to be run at reduced settings to get tolerable performance, and both games still get hiccups and spikes even with said settings.

The reason I want to upgrade my GPU is because its one of the few parts that I will be able to eventually carry over into a newer machine. My specs are as follows:

- Core 2 Duo Wolfdale (No HT) 2.66 GHz

- 4GB DDR2 RAM (Maxed out. Yes, go ahead and laugh)

- Nvidia 8600 GT (Served me well for many years)

My question is, if I get a mid-to-high level graphics card from a not-quite-current generation (or some other good discount deal) will it be worth it, or will the rest of my hardware be bottlenecking me? I'm looking to spend somewhere between $50 and $100 (on the lower end) so it's not like I'm expecting to put a Geforce 880 in there or anything. Just the equivalent to my 8600, when I put together my computer 7 or 8 years ago.

If there is something worth buying, what would it be? I'm partial to Nvidia, but am willing to consider AMD if I get a lot more bang for my buck.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

#2 notuptome2004

notuptome2004

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 1

Posted 27 May 2014 - 01:52

i would just save up build a  new system if you can    cause that system is rather aged  

#3 Mindovermaster

Mindovermaster

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 10
  • Phone: HTC ONE V

Posted 27 May 2014 - 02:01

Have you tried installing Optifine with Minecraft? It's supposed to help with older GPUs.

#4 Cocoliso

Cocoliso

Neowinian

Posted 27 May 2014 - 02:05

What about some of those new nvidia maxwell gpus you could get a geforce 750 for 119+tax+shipping (http://www.newegg.co...7-027-_-Product)

#5 ThaCrip

ThaCrip

Neowinian Senior

Posted 27 May 2014 - 02:05

obviously the Geforce 8600GT is the clear weak link in your system. your CPU is decent enough and your RAM is decent enough especially for not super demanding games.

i would just get a decent video card (nothing super fancy but something decent for a fair price) if i where in your spot as that will boost your gaming performance noticeably (since that's the bottleneck of your setup for sure) as if i where you i would hold off on building a entirely new system as long as you can and that system still has some life left in it with a better GPU.

#6 LaP

LaP

Forget about it

• Tech Issues Solved: 4

Posted 27 May 2014 - 02:18

Well upgrading the gpu will probably work for Minecraft and WoT but nothing more.

We have an old Core 2 Duo machine at work and it is slow even while running Windows and Studio. It is like day and night between this machine and the new Core i5. So if it is slow running windows and studio i don't even imagine how it is for new games.

Personally i would think about saving and build a new system. I would start by building a new base system (mb, cpu, ram, gpu) and keep the case, monitor, mouse, kb, optical drive, hd and speakers (as long as the hd is 7200rpm). I would upgrade those later.

You can build a faily good base system for around 500$. Way better that what he actually has. I think buying a 100$ gpu to add to his system would be close to a waste of 100$.

Well if all he wants is really play only Minecraft and he can't save more than 100$ in the next 6 months or so then i guess he can upgrade the gpu and play Minecraft in all its iOS glory ...

#7 +Martog

Martog

Snow Leopard Extraodinaire

• Tech Issues Solved: 2

Posted 27 May 2014 - 02:18

What about some of those new nvidia maxwell gpus you could get a geforce 750 for 119+tax+shipping (http://www.newegg.co...7-027-_-Product)

I was also thinking the 750 or 750 TI (which is definitely out of budget) but either card is going to be leaps ahead of the 8600GT for sure.

#8 neoadorable

neoadorable

Neowinian Senior

Posted 27 May 2014 - 03:36

i would just save up build a  new system if you can    cause that system is rather aged  

Heh heh loved the use of aged...it's a very respectful word that few people use. Yeah Seizure, your PC is indeed looking to retire, it's time for a new setup. You can have one that will easily handle the games you describe and much more for $1000 including a new 1080 monitor. Deduct the monitor and you'll get nice performance for like $800 out of a new PC.

#9 T3X4S

T3X4S

Neowinian

• Tech Issues Solved: 3

Posted 27 May 2014 - 03:48

All comments are good, but if the cost of $150 is stressful for the OP, then cost of a new system is unrealistic.  I am assuming this is the case, because otherwise - he would just do it...

So, if all you can muster is $100 - then yes - get a new GPU - the idea of waiting and saving is only realistic to people that would be able to afford to save, and spend all at once on something unnecessary...

#10 seta-san

seta-san

Neowinian Senior

Posted 27 May 2014 - 03:58

get the new card. it should help at least a bit. if it doesn't do everything you need it to you can always start saving for a new system and put that shiny new card in it.

#11 farmeunit

farmeunit

The other white meat.

• Tech Issues Solved: 2

Posted 27 May 2014 - 04:52

I'm not sure with NVidia, but I had an old AMD 5400+ and a Radeon 4850 which is equivalent to a 9800GT and when I moved to a 7770, there was almost ZERO gain.  For your games, you'll probably some over your video card, though.

I used that same 7770 for a while in my new Core i5 system and it ran GREAT.  I eneded up getting a 7870 since I got a good deal on one. 

That being said, I would get something that would work well even in a newer system.  A good range to spend is $120-$150.  A 750 would probably fit the bill for you, but I'm lot more familiar with AMD cards.

#12 yowanvista

yowanvista

Neowinian Senior

• Phone: i9001-CM11-KitKat 4.4.4 - Kernel 3.4.102

Posted 27 May 2014 - 05:38

It wouldn't be worth it considering that your processor and DDR2 ram would bottleneck performance. WoT also relies on the processor IPC rather on graphics so you'll need a better processor.

Going down the with the upgrade path would be a waste of money on such a system. You could even throw in a Core 2 Quad and some midrange GPU but that won't really help at all. Just save yourself that trouble and get a modern rig if you're really seeking good performance.

#13 OP Seizure1990

Seizure1990

Neowinian Senior

Posted 27 May 2014 - 08:06

In regards to CPU/RAM bottlenecking, I never see signs of RAM issues... it's always FPS, and the inability to use anything but minimal graphics settings. I can see RAM affecting MC, but not WoT or any of the other games I play. And I'm pretty sure WoT uses the graphics card like any other modern game. Where did you read otherwise?

Anyways:

Yea, I dunno, in case it wasn't clear, the problem is that I'm not in a position to go and spend $500 on a new system right now, which is roughly what I expect to spend when I do. I nearly choked when I read the suggestion that I spend $1000 on my rig... I'm playing WoT and Minecraft, not Battlefield 4. If anyone cares to know, I also play Europa Universalis IV, Dwarf Fortress, and DotA:2. I used to play a bit of Portal (2) and TF2. Basically, I play nothing which requires a lot of graphics horsepower...

Based on the responses I got, I'm guessing that a sub-$100 graphics card would give my system the extra oomph it needs until I can put together a new mobo/CPU/RAM combo.

Does anyone have good suggestions as to what a good card may be? The only suggestion I saw so far was for the GeForce 750, which was a tad out of my range. Is that the lowest I can go while still getting a reasonable deal and significant improvement?

Thanks for all the responses everyone.

#14 Luc2k

Luc2k

Neowinian

Posted 27 May 2014 - 08:43

In regards to CPU/RAM bottlenecking, I never see signs of RAM issues... it's always FPS, and the inability to use anything but minimal graphics settings. I can see RAM affecting MC, but not WoT or any of the other games I play. And I'm pretty sure WoT uses the graphics card like any other modern game. Where did you read otherwise?

Anyways:

Yea, I dunno, in case it wasn't clear, the problem is that I'm not in a position to go and spend $500 on a new system right now, which is roughly what I expect to spend when I do. I nearly choked when I read the suggestion that I spend $1000 on my rig... I'm playing WoT and Minecraft, not Battlefield 4. If anyone cares to know, I also play Europa Universalis IV, Dwarf Fortress, and DotA:2. I used to play a bit of Portal (2) and TF2. Basically, I play nothing which requires a lot of graphics horsepower...

Based on the responses I got, I'm guessing that a sub-$100 graphics card would give my system the extra oomph it needs until I can put together a new mobo/CPU/RAM combo.

Does anyone have good suggestions as to what a good card may be? The only suggestion I saw so far was for the GeForce 750, which was a tad out of my range. Is that the lowest I can go while still getting a reasonable deal and significant improvement?

Thanks for all the responses everyone.

7770 is your best bet then.

As for WoT, he's right, for now anyway since they want to add multicore support now that War Thunder is kicking their ass. In the 2 years I've played it, the game only used one core and an upgrade from 7770 to 7850 didn't make make much difference (there's ~25% performance difference between the cards).

#15 Andre S.

Andre S.

Asik

• Tech Issues Solved: 11

Posted 27 May 2014 - 15:58

I second the HD 7770 recommendation. It's incomparably faster than what you currently have and it can definitely inject a few more years of life into your system. I don't think it'd be worth it to stretch for anything faster; save your money for replacing the rest of the system eventually.

On that note, the GTX 750 is very popular but it's also a bit overpriced for the performance.