Is there an issue with notifications?

I was recently active in this thread: https://www.neowin.net/forum/topic/1214459-report-prince-charles-compared-putin-to-hitler/

However, what I noticed is that, despite being quoted several times in replies, the latest notification that is showing is from May 26th as per screenshot below:

bWptKI2.png

This has prompted me to raise this thread and ask if there are some intermittent issues with notifications not being posted. Thank you in advance.

Check if you are still "following" that topic, even if you aren't following post quotes will show, and only if the whole post is quoted (with header membername and timestamp) no matter if the post quote content is altered.

You may also need to check your notification settings in My Settings too, to be sure.

If I remember correctly, notifications now merge one on top of the other? That's why the notification there has a (2) next to it. Although I agree that it can be frustrating if multiple people have quoted you.

If I remember correctly, notifications now merge one on top of the other? That's why the notification there has a (2) next to it. Although I agree that it can be frustrating if multiple people have quoted you.

In that case, wouldn't the bug then be the date? I'm the one quoting Vanx if that's the thread I am thinking about and I quoted him today, not two days ago.

I don't have it set to auto-follow topics I reply to and I do have it checked to be notified when someone quotes me (and I am not already following). What do various options under "Notification frequency" drop-down mean?

I've noticed that personal Settings somehow change themselves.

Every once in while I need to go in and put those back to the way I had them.

I've noticed that personal Settings somehow change themselves.

Every once in while I need to go in and put those back to the way I had them.

This happened once through a server glitch, everyone was also unsubscribed from topics but generally Settings do not reset themselves. I've only had to update them once after the server hiccup around a month or so ago. But in saying that maybe some are stored in cookies, which will reset if you clear cookies.

This happened once through a server glitch, everyone was also unsubscribed from topics but generally Settings do not reset themselves. I've only had to update them once after the server hiccup around a month or so ago. But in saying that maybe some are stored in cookies, which will reset if you clear cookies.

May I ask why they would be held in cookies as opposed to being a persistent part of one's profile? Considering the site's behaviour should be consistent, putting that faith into cookies puzzles me a bit. I use CCleaner to intelligently scan which cookies to delete and which ones to keep, because not all of them need to be there. I have just added "neowin.net" to that cookie "whitelist", so let's see what transpires.

Check if you are still "following" that topic, even if you aren't following post quotes will show, and only if the whole post is quoted (with header membername and timestamp) no matter if the post quote content is altered.

You may also need to check your notification settings in My Settings too, to be sure.

I've noticed that I haven't been notified about new posts in topics I created. I presume this is because I didn't check the 'follow topic' box. I think this should be ticked by default - I don't see why one wouldn't want to be notified of any updates in a topic they've started.

I am noticing that if i am in the forums they are loading properly for me however, if i am on the news page then there isnt a number but when i click on it, i see unacknowledged notifications.

Still riding the notification wave, there seems to be no option to be notified if an answer one has provided has been marked as "best answer" by OP of a thread one contributed to. I think this would a good notification to have.

I've noticed that I haven't been notified about new posts in topics I created. I presume this is because I didn't check the 'follow topic' box. I think this should be ticked by default - I don't see why one wouldn't want to be notified of any updates in a topic they've started.

Still riding the notification wave, there seems to be no option to be notified if an answer one has provided has been marked as "best answer" by OP of a thread one contributed to. I think this would a good notification to have.

i agree with both of these

actually i was gonna mention that second idea awhile ago but i kept forgetting lol

^ always Follow topics is optional, as already pointed out. If we set everyone to default "ticked" then our servers would be working overtime keeping it all up to date.

Notify on marked solved is an IPB default, one we've tweaked a lot ourselves, it isn't included with IPB.

https://www.neowin.net/forum/user/289790-vanx/?tab=answered

post-2-0-65445300-1401793041.png

(added by us) also here https://www.neowin.net/forum/user/289790-vanx/

^ always Follow topics is optional, as already pointed out. If we set everyone to default "ticked" then our servers would be working overtime keeping it all up to date.

Notify on marked solved is an IPB default, one we've tweaked a lot ourselves, it isn't included with IPB.

https://www.neowin.net/forum/user/289790-vanx/?tab=answered

attachicon.gifSNAG-0004.png

(added by us) also here https://www.neowin.net/forum/user/289790-vanx/

1. I am still not clear on how notifications work if one does not auto-follow threads. Sometimes you are notified and sometimes you are not. This is why I created the thread.

2. In terms of displaying notification of my answer being marked as solved, I meant through the same "Notifications" expandable drop-down on the home page rather than anywhere else.

3. There is still a bug thereby mouse-over over the "Notifications" icon shows "Notifications X" where X is the number of new notifications. This happens on mouse-over even if the badge count has been cleared.