Android for elderly user

My father is VERY unwell.  He has had a number of strokes, he jitters a bit, he is on dialysis and so on.  He is in the hospital long-term.

Off the back of this, for some reason he wants a mobile phone.  He dropped his old Nokia 6310 last week (really).  He struggles with menu's and buttons and it was infuriating him anyway.

I propose to get an older, low-spec android device.  In a tough case ;)

Disable text messaging, disable things like app updates and notifications.  It is to be used JUST as a phone for incoming and outgoing calls.

Lock down the homescreen with 4 large icons of direct-dial faces.

Literally, just a phone for these 4 people, nothing more.  He literally speaks to just these 4 people (unless in a social environment).

What's the lowest spec I could go here?

Thank you

What about a phone designed to be simple for the older generation? such as the Doro Liberto 810 or the OwnFone?

I believe my Grandma who is 91 has something like that, she can use it well enough to call my Mum and a few other people.

]SK[: Thanks but those are WAYYY too fiddly for him.

InsaneNutter: Yes, I looked at those.  The OwnFone is purely contract based, and he doesn't need/want that.  I like the Liberto, but it's more than I want to spend.  As it's a low-spec phone with a custom UI, I could achieve similar with a ?50 Galaxy Ace :)

WP7, 8, 8.1 is a very easy OS to use.  My mum is useless at tech and I gave her an old WP7 Lumia which she has managed to get on with.

http://www.carphonewarehouse.com/phone/nokia/nokia-lumia-520/ppay?colourCode=BLUE&gift=undefined&giftType=undefined

I also advised someone at work who's father is also useless and she said he now has his face burried in his phone all the time and really enjoys his smartphone.

Yeah, can we please stick to the request at hand - low spec Android.  I've gone over the options, and Windows Phone was a potential, but I have ruled it out for a number of reasons.  Thanks.

Really, for Android, I would go with the Moto E.  Probably the best/cheapest lower spec Android you can get now.  And the Moto E is faster against the S5 in several areas and all the reviews on it were pretty good.

Yeah, can we please stick to the request at hand - low spec Android.  I've gone over the options, and Windows Phone was a potential, but I have ruled it out for a number of reasons.  Thanks.

What about something like a refurb Galaxy S2? You can them for under $50 on ebay.

Annoying thing is the slide-to-pick-up. I've noticed many older people can't figure that out.

Have you considered something like this? They're a bit more expensive because of the design but they're super-simple (like a regular phone really), have super-long battery life, ...

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B004D3OFQK/

I bought an android phone to give to an older relative but am currently regretting that decision as my current implementation has turned out rather sub-optimal. Words like Lumia 520 and cheap candy-bar Nokia have been floating around my head each time I get another tech support mayday request. 

Also you say this:

My father is VERY unwell.  He has had a number of strokes, he jitters a bit, he is on dialysis and so on.  He is in the hospital long-term.

Are you sure that a touchscreen phone is the best way to go, considering that the swipe movements to unlock/lock phone and answer/end calls are hard for older people to do generally (or at least from what I've observed)?

However if you are going this route, based upon my experiences, I suggest a big screen and wireless charging (those micro-USB cables are a pain): potentially a refurbished/second-hand S4 with a wireless cover attachment? It's not the cheapest solution though, and I'm not too sure how it would survive falls or function whilst in a case.

What about something like a refurb Galaxy S2? You can them for under $50 on ebay.

Spot on!

Annoying thing is the slide-to-pick-up. I've noticed many older people can't figure that out.

See, the way his hands work, that is actually better for him

What with/how do you propose locking down the phone?

You can disable data.  You can disable SMS.  Swap out for an alternative launcher that allows locking.

Hi Nik,

First of all I'm sorry to hear about your father's condition. 

Regarding the phone: you can go as low spec as you want to. If all you want it to do is make and receive calls, then really anything works. You need to be more specific with your request, in that

1. Are you looking for phone suggestions, or just interested in how low-spec you can go?
  2. What is your budget?
  3. Are you able to modify the UI yourself, or looking for a phone with a pre-modified UI?
  4. Are you looking for a phone of any specific size? (ie how is your father's vision, does he prefer smaller phones or larger phones?)

Regards,

duoi

• Like 1

Thank you :)

1. Are you looking for phone suggestions, or just interested in how low-spec you can go?
    Phone suggestions.  I am thinking perhaps a Galaxy Ace?

2. What is your budget?
    This is really a test of theory, so I would only really drop about ?60 at this point.

3. Are you able to modify the UI yourself, or looking for a phone with a pre-modified UI?
    I would prefer to modify it myself, via launchers and so on.

4. Are you looking for a phone of any specific size? (ie how is your father's vision, does he prefer smaller phones or larger phones?)
    His vision is ok, so any size will do, as most UI's allow font scaling now.

Cheers