Nielsen: The Average Household Spends Six Hours a Week Gaming

Time spent playing video games is on the rise, especially the devotion to games on tablets and smartphones, according to new research from Nielsen. Homes with players ages 13+ spend more than six hours a week playing games on all game platforms. That's an increase of around 12 percent from the 5.6 hours a week in 2012. The data comes from the firm's annual Nielsen 360 Gaming Report.

Gaming on mobile and tablet devices accounted for around 19 percent of time spent gaming, up from 9 percent in 2011. Gaming on tablets rose to 9 percent of all weekly game time, up from four percent in 2012. Time gaming on smartphones was at around 10 percent, up by one percent from 2012. "Hard core" players also said that they are playing games on mobile devices. Amongst that demographic, 50 percent of them say they play a mobile device. That's up from 46 percent in 2012 and 35 percent in 2011.

Video games on last-generation consoles such as the PlayStation 3, Xbox 360 and Wii accounted for the most weekly gaming time at 34 percent, a slight dip from 37 percent in 2012. Current generation systems such as the PS4, Xbox One and Wii U made up 4 percent of game time. PC gaming time dropped to 33 percent, down from 39 percent in 2012. Games on dedicated handheld stayed the same at around 6 percent. Finally, nearly two-thirds of the population, or 64 percent, play video games on some device.

The Nielsen 360 Gaming Report is based on a survey of more than 2,000 US consumers that took place between late 2013 and early 2014.

Source: USA Today

http://gamepolitics.com/2014/05/27/nielsen-average-household-spends-six-hours-week-gaming#.U4W_jPmSyS0

I fluctuate from week to week. Sometimes I get really engrossed in a title, other times I don't touch games at all. I also used to spend 90% of my time in MP whereas now it's all SP / indie.

Mobile gaming has never appealed to me but I do enjoy 3DS/Vita stints when I'm not in the mood for consoles.