Can you buy a prepaid credit card, online, with a credit card?

You know those prepaid VISA/MC things that are great for letting kids buy games on Steam and Google Play, and things on Amazon, because it gives them a credit card # without actually having to sign up for a credit card?  I've only ever seen them for sale in a store, off the rack.

Is there any way to buy one online, and gift it to someone else online?  Basically I have a nephew who earned some Google Youtube Adsense money, but they could only pay him thru a bank account EFT, which he didn't have, so I let him use my bank account, and Google dumped the $100 in my bank account.  Problem is, he lives really far away, so its kinda hard for me to actually get the money to him.  We're both in the same country (Canada), so currency exchange isn't an issue.  But all he really wants is one of those prepaid credit cards anyway, is there any way I can just buy him one remotely?

I've researched the matter as well, Visa, mastercard and AMEX have prepaid options, however none I found would let me pay with credit card :/ only moneypak (which you have to buy at a store)

http://usa.visa.com/personal/personal-cards/gift-cards/index.jsp

https://www.giftcardmall.com/pc-607-159-visa-gift-card.aspx < this one has a send as a gift option and I went all the way to the end and it has an option to pay with a credit card.

I've researched the matter as well, Visa, mastercard and AMEX have prepaid options, however none I found would let me pay with credit card :/ only moneypak (which you have to buy at a store)

Well what about if he already owns an old prepaid card, but it is empty.  Can I reload his empty card remotely with my credit card?  Or are they all non-reloadable?

Thanks, that was exactly what I was asking for, but it appears to be USA only.  :( oh well.

Well what about if he already owns an old prepaid card, but it is empty.  Can I reload his empty card remotely with my credit card?  Or are they all non-reloadable?

Thanks, that was exactly what I was asking for, but it appears to be USA only.   :( oh well.

Aww man, sorry I didn't even check that...  :|

Thanks, that was exactly what I was asking for, but it appears to be USA only.   :( oh well.

It really depends on the bank issuer if they allow credit card reload or not. AMEX website states that they will do it, but it will be withdrawn as a cash advance and not normal credit transaction.

Mainly due to it needing to be treated as a cash advance and not a regular transaction. Buying them in store will be treated like a regular purchase though. Mainly due to the inability of mist point of sale systems to differentiate.

It really depends on the bank issuer if they allow credit card reload or not. AMEX website states that they will do it, but it will be withdrawn as a cash advance and not normal credit transaction.

Well I just checked, and his VISA prepaid gift card does not allow reloading :(  poo.  Alternatives?  He mostly just wants to be able to buy steam games, buy the occasional gadget off amazon, and buy some of those free-to-play games' credits.  Any other way of doing this?  Bitcoin?  :laugh: Having every individual transaction go through me?  I really don't want to opt for Western Union or any of that crap, I'm not spending $20 to send $200.

Mainly due to it needing to be treated as a cash advance and not a regular transaction. Buying them in store will be treated like a regular purchase though. Mainly due to the inability of mist point of sale systems to differentiate.

What if....  He goes to a store, grabs a prepaid credit card off the shelf, hands it to the cashier, and when she asks for payment, he phones me up and I give her my credit card number, exp date and CCV number over the phone.  Is that doable?

What if....  He goes to a store, grabs a prepaid credit card off the shelf, hands it to the cashier, and when she asks for payment, he phones me up and I give her my credit card number, exp date and CCV number over the phone.  Is that doable?

Very few stores will allow this, if any. Primarily due to the risk they assume when doing a "card not present" transaction.

Buying credit with credit? Creditception...

Jokes aside, fairly sure you can't do this in most places. Even in-store can be a bit sketchy sometimes.

Why would any company let you pay for debt with debt...

Buying credit with credit? Creditception...

Jokes aside, fairly sure you can't do this in most places. Even in-store can be a bit sketchy sometimes.

Why would any company let you pay for debt with debt...

You can, at least in Canada. I have bought prepaid credit cards with Loblaws grocery store gift cards.

Well I just checked, and his VISA prepaid gift card does not allow reloading :(  poo.  Alternatives?  He mostly just wants to be able to buy steam games, buy the occasional gadget off amazon, and buy some of those free-to-play games' credits.  Any other way of doing this?  Bitcoin?  :laugh: Having every individual transaction go through me?  I really don't want to opt for Western Union or any of that crap, I'm not spending $20 to send $200.

As opposed to a giftcard, standard prepaid debit and credit cards (such as GreenDot, WiredPlastic, etc.) allow inbound transfers from wire-transfer services (not alone Western Union) or even regular banks.

AccountNow (my own prepaid VISA debit card) allows transfers via GreenDot prepaid MoneyPaks (which you can buy at most retailers that sell prepaid game-time cards, such as 7-Eleven and CVS, for example) in addition to inbound wire transfers via Western Union, American Express, and "standard" financial institutions (such as banks and credit unions).  You can (theoretically) open an account in the name of someone ELSE, have the card sent to them, and handle the filling up yourself.  As long as there is enough money in the account, I can use it anywhere (and in any way) a VISA card can be used - in fact, I use mine specifically for online transactions (such as what you mentioned) - I do NOT use it for retail purchases, though I could if I preloaded it ahead of time.