Wii U outsells PS4 in Infamous' first week in Japan
by Alex Calvin
Wednesday, May 28th 2014 at 1:11PM BST
Nintendo’s Wii U has outsold the PlayStation 4 this week in Japan according to sales data provided by Famitsu.
The Wii U has been close behind Sony’s consoles for the last few weeks and this week overtook the PS4 by 1,471 units.
The bigger surprise was that the change comes as Infamous: Second Son finally arrived in Japan. The superhero game was partially behind a sales of boost of 500 units week-on-week and helped the PlayStation 4 outsell the PlayStation 3 – though just four units seperated the two consoles.
The latter was helped by the release of the new Japanese Pro Evolution Soccer title World Soccer Winning Eleven 2014: Aoki Samurai no Chosen this week, which went straight to the top of the software Top Ten.
The 3DS maintains its position at the top of the hardware charts, helped by the likes of the World Soccer, Yokai Watch and Mario Golf in the software rankings.
Here are the hardware numbers
1. Nintendo 3DS LL – 20,304
2. PS Vita –13,334
3. Wii U – 8,858
4. PS4 – 7,387
5. PS3 – 7,383
6. Nintendo 3DS – 4,711
7. PSP – 1,201
8. PS Vita TV – 762
9. Xbox 360 – 104
And the Top Ten games:
1. World Soccer Winning Eleven 2014: Aoki Samurai no Chousen (Konami) PS3 – 47,726 (New)
2. Infamous Second Son (Sony) PS4 – 39,757 (New)
3. Yokai Watch (Level5) 3DS – 26,026
4. To Love -Ru: Darkness Battle Ecstasy (Furyu) Vita – 22,959 (New)
5. World Soccer Winning Eleven 2014: Aoki Samurai no Chousen (Konami) 3DS – 19,434 (New)
6. Amnesia World (Idea Factory) Vita – 13,701 (New)
7. Idol Master: One for All (Bandai Namco) PS3 – 10,224
8. Genkai Tokki Moero Chronicle (Compile Heart) Vita – 7,213
9. World Soccer Winning Eleven 2014: Aoki Samurai no Chousen (Konami) PSP – 7,170 (New)
10. New Super Mario Bros. U (Nintendo) Wii U – 6,410
The times, they are a-changing indeed