Roland Emmerich to Direct "Stargate" Reboot

a4l5T.jpg

On the heels of yesterday?s update on the status of director Roland Emmerich?s much-anticipated Independence Day sequel comes some exciting news about another one of Emmerich?s 1990s sci-fi hits. Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer Pictures and Warner Bros. Pictures, together with Emmerich and Dean Devlin, are partnering to launch a new feature film trilogy that reimagines 1994?s Stargate. The announcement was made today by Gary Barber, MGM?s Chairman and CEO. Emmerich, who directed and co-wrote the original film with Devlin, is confirmed to direct and Devlin will produce.

Word of a reboot of the 1994 film first broke last year when Emmerich said that he and creative partner Dean Devlin approached MGM about building a reboot trilogy. Emmerich co-wrote and directed the original 1994 film, which starred Kurt Russel, James Spader, Jaye Davidson, and Alexis Cruz.

At the time of its release, Stargate grossed nearly $200 million at the global box office. The franchise has since spawned three live-action television spin-offs, one animated series and two direct-to-DVD feature films.

Barber said, ?We couldn?t be more excited to once again partner with Roland and Dean, the world-class creators of the original ?Stargate,? to bring their reinvigorated vision of this wildly popular property to audiences of multiple generations.? He added, ??Stargate? is one of the biggest titles in MGM?s vast library, and we look forward to adding this great franchise to our slate.?

?The ?Stargate? universe is one that we missed terribly, and we cannot wait to get going on imagining new adventures and situations for the trilogy. This story is very close to our hearts, and getting the chance to revisit this world is in many ways like a long lost child that has found its way back home,? said Emmerich and Devlin.

MGM will be running production on Stargate, with Jonathan Glickman, President, Motion Picture Group overseeing the project on behalf of MGM and Greg Silverman, President, Creative Development and Worldwide Production, overseeing for Warner Bros. Pictures. Worldwide distribution will be handled by Warner Bros. Pictures, with select international territories to be handled by MGM.

Glickman said, ?For us at MGM, there was no version of us further developing the ?Stargate? franchise without Roland and Dean at the creative helm. This is their baby, and we cannot wait to bring their reenergized universe to the legions of fans around the world.?

Silverman said, ??Stargate? created an expansive cinematic universe that has engaged fans for two decades.? He added, ?Under the guidance of Roland and Dean, these new films will build upon the creativity and popularity of the first film, while delivering an original film-going experience for fans and those new to the franchise.?

Emmerich is currently shooting Stonewall, a drama about a young man?s political awakening amid the 1969 Stonewall Riots in New York, which sparked a fight for equality and paved the way for the modern gay rights movement. He is also in pre-production on ID Forever, Parts I & II, back-to-back sequels to his hit film, Independence Day.

Source

Even though nothing could possibly top the awesome interaction between Richard Dean Anderson (Jack O'Neill) and Michael Shanks (Daniel Jackson), I'm still super excited for this :D

Glickman said, ?For us at MGM, there was no version of us further developing the ?Stargate? franchise without Roland and Dean at the creative helm. This is their baby, and we cannot wait to bring their reenergized universe to the legions of fans around the world.?

Anyone expecting another SG-1 or Atlantis style should be ready for disappointment.

I'm really not happy about this. His recent films have been utterly terrible and his contempt for what has been done with the TV series is worrying. This sounds like a trainwreck waiting to happen.

• Like 4

I guess we can expect a lot of pyramids collapsing on a hapless and fleeing populous. I'm sure there will be a massive tsunami-esque flood to go along with that as well.

Anybody else wanna post more Emmerich-isms?

Well that's disappointing. Most of what Emmerich has directed has been crap, just like the original Stargate movie. The series really took a piece of crap and turned it into something quite impressive, and now that's all gonna be thrown out.

For us at MGM, there was no version of us further developing the ?Stargate? franchise without Roland and Dean

How about the folks that managed to take the poorly executed concept, dance around its shortcomings rather well, and then turn it into a whole universe that spanned 17 seasons?

• Like 1

I really enjoyed the original and wished they had followed up with a sequel, not sure why they feel the need to reboot this one unless they plan on doing sequels that are just as exciting.

If only .. if only both of them (RE and DD) decided to make a Stargate movie when RDA, AT and MS (from SG-1) at their prime, that would be awesome!

Rebooting a franchise seems risky at times, most of that popular ones that I know of will flop so bad.

eurgh this is going to fail so bad, while i liked the original film, SG1, SGA and SGU are what made the franchise...... i can see it now....channing tatum or dwayne johnson cast as Jack O'Neil.....little piece of me dies inside just thinking about that haha....but i guess it truly puts the SG tv series to bed now, no chance of it being continued/tied up, deep down i always had a small bit of hope they would produce the final 1 or 2 tv films to bring it all together and conclude it

Saying all that i probably will still watch it, i just hope it doesnt tarnish the name too much!

While I absolutely love everything about SG (except the crappy SGU), I have mixed feelings about this. This franchise does not need a reboot, it needs a continuation, at least from the SGA perspective, they ended that way too early and for what? SGU? Come on...

Anyway, I enjoyed the original SG movie, but, like someone else said, nothing can beat the chemistry that RDA and MS (and the rest of the team, to be fair) had. So...good luck to the writers, but I'm getting ready for a disappointment. 

Everyone in this thread has already expressed my feelings about this reboot. It will definitely not live up to the greatness that is SG1 and SGA. It will most likely be horrible due to Emmerich and his agenda. And Stargate truly needs a continuation not a reboot. I'm not happy or looking forward to this at all.

this was announced back before christmas and very exciting. I wonder who they will get to play Jackson :D

Whaaaaaat?  I loved it ;)

Well, it HAD potential, but they handled the "transition" poorly, that's why people didn't like it as much as SG1 or SGA. To be more specific, look at the way the "introduced" SGA to us. They eased us in, lots of familiar faces between the new ones, a few common episodes, characters going from SG1 to SGA, etc. This made people embrace SGA and not look at it as SG1's bastard sibling. SGU was like a hammer in the head. Bam, 20 new faces, no interaction with the other spin-offs (except for those rare appearances by RDA or AT)...this is a lot for a die-hard SG fan to take. Also, there was much anger because SGA was canceled, and for good reason IMO, they could have made another 5 seasons of SGA instead of a failed SGU attempt... 

SGU was awful, at least the first season. They had a really cool concept but spent 80% of the time farting about on Earth watching characters have affairs in other people's bodies (What?) and spent an entire episode on how all of chloe's friends back on earth hated her. SERIOUSLY WHAT?

Oh and making the Lucian alliance an all powerful force when they were practically a joke in SG1 was just stupid. I could never take them seriously.

As for this reboot, it will be terrible. The original film was pretty terrible & I honestly don't see how they can pan the sequels out any differently than the shows...

Glickman said, ?For us at MGM, there was no version of us further developing the ?Stargate? franchise without Roland and Dean at the creative helm. This is their baby, and we cannot wait to bring their reenergized universe to the legions of fans around the world.?

Anyone expecting another SG-1 or Atlantis style should be ready for disappointment.

I dont give a rats ass about those two. Bring back SG:U damn it :(

I'm not happy about this at all.  I watched SG1/SGA/SGU religiously for 14 years and loved it.  I suspect this new "trilogy" will throw out the whole SG storyline and continue with some alternate universe crap that won't live up to what RDA, AT, and MS were able to pull off with the series.  And let's not forget about Dave Hewlett and Joe Flanigan on SGA.

SGU had a rough start but it was just starting to get good when they cancelled it.

No, it was just starting to get less bad. It was a long LONG way from good.