Roland Emmerich to Direct "Stargate" Reboot

I hope this movie fails massively and MGM realise what tripe it is and then restart the TV series, I know it's never going to happen, but I think forgetting everything that has happened and "rebooting" stargate is just WRONG.

I will still watch this film, but I will definitely not be going to cinemas to watch it (if it gets a cinema release).

I honestly thought the original movie was good, but the TV show made it 10 times better and that cannot just be forgotten.

Glickman said, ?For us at MGM, there was no version of us further developing the ?Stargate? franchise without Roland and Dean at the creative helm.....?

EURGH!

I think you've misunderstood.  It's natural for the TV show to expand beyond the story elements in the movie and develop its own.  The point is that they are unique to the TV show and can be ignored in the reboot.  A lot of the choice made in the TV show seem to naturally flow from the movie (such as the discovery of more addresses on Abydos) but they weren't in the movie and can be ignored in the reboot if necessary. 

As far as the form and back story of the Goa'uld is concerned, I thought the movie was pretty clear and even shows an image of the alien.  Also, his Egyptian mask comes out of his head rather than out of his armour.

I just re-watched the movie last night.  Daniel Jackson said "He was looking for a human body to inhabit, like a parasite looking for a host".  So he was a parasite.  I highly doubt they wanted to give us the impression that the alien's body remained intact, but the human was just a  "meat suit".  They told us he went INTO the human body.  the visual was just what movies do.  Shows us the the alien was dying.

A reboot is pointless.  We have had 17 seasons of story lines.  That is just insane to throw that out there.  This is different than having three movies then reboot.  17 years of stories.

I just re-watched the movie last night.  Daniel Jackson said "He was looking for a human body to inhabit, like a parasite looking for a host".  So he was a parasite.  I highly doubt they wanted to give us the impression that the alien's body remained intact, but the human was just a  "meat suit".  They told us he went INTO the human body.  the visual was just what movies do.  Shows us the the alien was dying.

It's difficult to say what they really thought because the movie didn't go into any more detail and we've subsequently accepted the TV retcon.  When I first saw the movie (before the TV show started) I thought Ra's consciousness took the human over based on the overlay special effect.  The mask coming out of the head almost makes it seem as if he just used the appearance of humans although that contradicts the explanation about finding a stronger body. 

One thing's for sure though.  The movie didn't mention snakes and a reboot could choose to avoid that depiction of the Goa'uld.

I personally think SG1, etc. should be canon at this point because they managed to build up such a convincing universe.  I find it strange that MGM would want to depart from that after all these years.  However, I'm also interested to see what the reboot comes up with.  It could be as brilliant as the BSG reboot (ignoring the final episode) which took a classic TV show and made significant changes for the better. 

That's why I asked: what was the movie's idea? Everything seems the same in SG-1 - SGC, Abidos, Daniel Jackson, O'Neill (2 L's this time), Ra as the original bad Goa-uld...so what's different??

Ra was another form of alien in the movie. It seemed he wasn't the Goa'uld as we saw in the series.

I don't see a problem with them ignoring the TV show (even though it's one of my favourite TV shows).  These will follow on, or be connected to, the first movie.  Pure and simple.  I will give them a chance.