High school bans backpacks, seals up lockers

A New York high school is the latest in the nation to ban backpacks following several bomb threats, and has even taken extra steps, including sealing up students' lockers.

For the last two weeks of the school year, students at Wantagh High School -- located about 34 miles east of New York City -- are being forced to carry their books and belongings in plastic bags, sign in and out to use the bathroom  :huh:  and submit to searches when entering the building. But the sealing up of lockers took school security to a new level.

School officials took the extreme measures after finding multiple threatening messages located around the campus, one of which prompted an emergency evacuation. The final straw came one week ago, when a message was found scrawled in black marker on the wall of the men?s restroom saying, ?Blowing The Skool [sic] up today no joke I?ve had it.?

?The increased measures, including bag checks and interior camera installation, were executed smoothly with the help of additional security personnel,? Maureen Goldberg, superintendent of the Wantagh School District, said in a statement. ?Students were extremely cooperative throughout the process and attendance at the high school remains at a normal level.?

more

?Students were extremely cooperative throughout the process and attendance at the high school remains at a normal level.?

This quote really bothers me. I hope the submission in the student-school relationship does not carry into a future citizen-government relationship.

Have they never had kids in that school before? We used to do this almost daily back in the days, and nobody gave a ###### because they knew we were joking.

the highschool I went to, always had bomb threats,drug locker searches done by dogs, and also lockdowns if someone escaped from the prison on the other side of the woods next to the school. 

there was also a certain alarm for each thing. bomb alarm, tornado alarm etc. and for lockdowns they would issue a code blue or something over the PA system

the school also had the same rule at the end of the year about backpacks and such. and lockers had to be empty weeks before school ended.

No need for backpacks anymore. They were used for carrying books, graphing calculator, pencil and paper. Now you can carry all that in a Surface Pro 3.

This quote really bothers me. I hope the submission in the student-school relationship does not carry into a future citizen-government relationship.

That's the real thing, molding the perfect sheep of the future to vote Democrat 

Sad things have come to this but what else are they supposed to do?  Any other solutions?  Things are beyond out of control with all the problems in schools these days.

If the instruments to carry work to and from school are banned, then homework should be cancelled.

This will create jobs Nik. Now they will have to hire an army of teachers assistants to carry the implements of school.  :shifty:

• Like 1