17 posts in this topic

Posted

As Google bowed to a European court ruling to consider users' claims to remove embarrassing search results, the company took the first step toward preventing any more such punishing decisions

Posted

Meh.  Google have been running a massive campaign against the right to be forgotten over the last few days and are only doing as little as possible to comply with the court's ruling.  Instead of support for privacy we get a propaganda campaign.

In the meantime, I see they were quick to pull videos by Elliot Roger from Youtube and will happily pull content if there's even a whiff of a copyright infringement that could get them in trouble. 

They deserve the bad reputation they have IMO.

2 people like this

Posted

Welcome to a few days ago and Google has already provided a service to comply with the EU.

Posted

Welcome to a few days ago and Google has already provided a service to comply with the EU.

As I said, they've produced a very basic "service" and spent the last few days complaining long and hard about even that.  They're hypocrites who pretend to be doing good whilst undermining our rights and avoiding paying their taxes.

Posted

As I said, they've produced a very basic "service" and spent the last few days complaining long and hard about even that. They're hypocrites who pretend to be doing good whilst undermining our rights and avoiding paying their taxes.

Of course they are going to complain. Big shocker. But they are still complying. Sure MS complained about the whole browser thing as well. MS avoided paying taxes by taking advantage of loopholes. Every company are hypocrites.

Posted

Hmm, since this is only currently aimed at Google, I wonder if the EU will force other search engines to do the same because if not, then this whole thing seems pretty pointless.

Posted

Hmm, since this is only currently aimed at Google, I wonder if the EU will force other search engines to do the same because if not, then this whole thing seems pretty pointless.

I think Microsoft already does this. (more like pretty sure, but I haven't tested to see if it works)

Posted

Of course they are going to complain. Big shocker. But they are still complying. Sure MS complained about the whole browser thing as well. MS avoided paying taxes by taking advantage of loopholes. Every company are hypocrites.

How does MS using loopholes to avoid some taxes make them hypocrites....

Posted

How does MS using loopholes to avoid some taxes make them hypocrites....

Didn't mean it like that. Pointing out MS doesn't pay taxes and after that was a generalization that all companies are hypocrites. Should have been a separate paragraph but I'm on my phone

Posted

I think Microsoft already does this. (more like pretty sure, but I haven't tested to see if it works)

That's good. However, I doubt the lesser known search engines do this already.

Posted

Didn't mean it like that. Pointing out MS doesn't pay taxes and after that was a generalization that all companies are hypocrites. Should have been a separate paragraph but I'm on my phone

So you think two wrongs make a right.  Gotcha.  Anyway this is about Google, not Microsoft or anyone else you might want to shift attention to. 

In addition to the above Google have been caught abusing their search monopoly, wardriving, systematically failing to comply with privacy legislation across the EU.  The list goes on and on.  They're a scourge that needs to be reigned in.

And if they want to improve their image in Europe and elsewhere they need to do more than begrudgingly knock out some half-arsed form that cost them less than they spent bitching and moaning about it.  They need to clearly demonstrate that they understand that an individual's privacy is more important than their profits.

Posted

Google already had the system in place anyway, they use it regularly to get rid of stuff they don't want or of themselves, and we've already seen it used in USA from the woman who sued them for caching wrong info about her.

Their arguments against this has been all BS anyway.

Posted

So you think two wrongs make a right. Gotcha. Anyway this is about Google, not Microsoft or anyone else you might want to shift attention to.

My point is all companies are guilty of something at one point and time and need to be put in check. You seem to think that Google is the only one to do something shady. Is called big business....get over it.

Their arguments against this has been all BS anyway.

Of course... But they will still complain about it but in the end, they still have to comply of they want to operate in the Eu.

Posted

My point is all companies are guilty of something at one point and time and need to be put in check. You seem to think that Google is the only one to do something shady. Is called big business....get over it.

Always the Google fanboy.  You don't really have a point other than to defend a company that uses you as a product.

Posted

Always the Google fanboy. You don't really have a point other than to defend a company that uses you as a product.

Well damn. I should get rid of all my windows system, Xbox 360,Xbox one, surface pro, surface pro two..... Do I need to go on? I use what I find useful regardless who makes it.

Keep calling me a fan boy. I find it hilarious. Especially since I use more non Google products that I do Google products.

Posted

Well damn. I should get rid of all my windows system, Xbox 360,Xbox one, surface pro, surface pro two..... Do I need to go on? I use what I find useful regardless who makes it.

Keep calling me a fan boy. I find it hilarious. Especially since I use more non Google products that I do Google products.

I know you use non-Google products but you're always the first to rush to blindly defend them and try to shift focus away from them.  I hate calling people fanboys and rarely do but in your case it's fitting.  You have no argument other than "they're alright because everyone else is doing the same thing".  Two wrongs make a right if it gets Google off the hook. 

Posted

I know you use non-Google products but you're always the first to rush to blindly defend them and try to shift focus away from them.

I actually pretty much said a few days ago that sucks for Google but they have to comply with European law. how was that defending the.m. I also said that I hate Google docs and don't find a use for chromebooks. Many things I don't like about Google but I find it funny people are quick to harp on them and forget, or choose to ignore, the company they like has been guilty of their own things.

Big business will always act the way they do so vote with your wallet. Being angry or upset at a company isn't worth it. Google was much better years ago but they cannot continue to be without paying the big business game. Sucks but again, vote with your wallet.
1 person likes this