texas president contender 2016 conference

• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#1 Hum

Hum

totally wAcKed

• 63,252 posts

Posted 01 June 2014 - 11:15

(CNN) – Ted Cruz, R-Texas, has won another straw poll, boosting his national profile and elevating his name among potential 2016 presidential contenders.

The firebrand freshman senator and tea party favorite was among a handful of 2016 hopefuls speaking at the Republican Leadership Conference in New Orleans this week.

Cruz finished in first place in the annual conference's presidential straw poll at 30.33%. Dr. Ben Carson, a Fox News commentator and conservative activist, finished in second with 29.38% while Sen. Rand Paul, R-Kentucky, was third with 10.43%.

Fox News host and former Arkansas Gov. Mike Huckabee and Texas Governor Rick Perry rounded out the top five, at 5.06% and 4.90%, respectively.

more

#2 +macoman

macoman

Neowinian

• 953 posts

Posted 01 June 2014 - 11:22

Cruz is definitely the worst candidate in the GOP. A more moderate and strong one is Chris Christie.

#3 OP Hum

Hum

totally wAcKed

• 63,252 posts

Posted 01 June 2014 - 11:29

^ Christie's reputation is ruined.  Not going to happen.

#4 AR556

AR556

Neowinian Senior

• 5,704 posts

Posted 01 June 2014 - 11:33

If Cruz winds up being the GOP candidate, we're going to lose. Rand Paul would be the much better choice. Never heard him say anything that doesn't make sense. Very level headed individual and one of the few that isn't corrupt (IMO).

The most likely and winnable scenario for the GOP is a Jeb Bush/Rand Paul as VP ticket.

#5 TPreston

TPreston

Neowinian Senior

• 2,669 posts
  • OS: Windows 8.1 Enterprise & Server 2012R2/08R2 Datacenter
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 1520

Posted 01 June 2014 - 11:36

Its time to dump the christian extremists gop they are a tiny minority of America. But hey if you want to try to win without 55% of Americans (8 in 10 young Americans) it will be as big a failure operation american spring http://www.rightwing...nder-10-million

#6 AR556

AR556

Neowinian Senior

• 5,704 posts

Posted 01 June 2014 - 12:17

I agree that the GOP needs young voters. They need to get back to the core principles of conservatism.Its a myth that Republican = religion. The media branded the GOP with that.

#7 spenser.d

spenser.d

Neowinian Senior

• 11,082 posts

Posted 01 June 2014 - 12:33

I agree that the GOP needs young voters. They need to get back to the core principles of conservatism.Its a myth that Republican = religion. The media branded the GOP with that.

No they didn't. Half of the high ranking GOP and their pundits continually blab on about Christian values. The media doesn't have to do any work there.

I would enjoy watching Cruz run and get destroyed. Would be a lot of free entertainment.

#8 +macoman

macoman

Neowinian

• 953 posts

Posted 01 June 2014 - 15:00

No they didn't. Half of the high ranking GOP and their pundits continually blab on about Christian values. The media doesn't have to do any work there.

I would enjoy watching Cruz run and get destroyed. Would be a lot of free entertainment.

Agreed, I have not see another Ronald Reagan in the current GOP. Look at the chamber, they are a legion of the tea party and has been a failure in passing legislation that benefit the country. Obamacare has been proved to be a failure and they want to destroy it, instead of fixing it.

#9 BlueScreenOfDeath

BlueScreenOfDeath

Neowinian Senior

• 2,585 posts
  • Phone: Samsung Galaxy SIII

Posted 02 June 2014 - 16:31

Agreed, I have not see another Ronald Reagan in the current GOP. Look at the chamber, they are a legion of the tea party and has been a failure in passing legislation that benefit the country. Obamacare has been proved to be a failure and they want to destroy it, instead of fixing it.

Because they see it as "Well if we fix it..that means we sort of support it.." It's better for them to simply say we're going to get rid of it and replace it with nothing. 

This is what the party i use to support has become..they aren't republicans anymore..they've been infected with the Tea Party and do nothing republican lawmakers hell bent on making sure they make it impossible to pass laws by Democrats..regardless of how helpful it is to the American People. -

and this

#10 -Razorfold

-Razorfold

Neowinian Senior

• 9,847 posts
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 900 / Oneplus One

Posted 02 June 2014 - 16:36

Because they see it as "Well if we fix it..that means we sort of support it.." It's better for them to simply say we're going to get rid of it and replace it with nothing.

This is what the party i use to support has become..they aren't republicans anymore..they've been infected with the Tea Party and do nothing republican lawmakers hell bent on making sure they make it impossible to pass laws by Democrats..regardless of how helpful it is to the American People. -

That's the sad thing about American politics now. Nobody wants to work together, they just seem to want to alienate themselves from the other party. It's childish and petty and it's not benefiting us at all.

#11 TechJunkie81

TechJunkie81

Neowinian

• 412 posts

Posted 02 June 2014 - 16:40

Cruz is definitely the worst candidate in the GOP. A more moderate and strong one is Chris Christie.

Christie better lose some weight.  The job of being POTUS is very stressful.  You think Christie's body can handle that stress ?

#12 BlueScreenOfDeath

BlueScreenOfDeath

Neowinian Senior

• 2,585 posts
  • Phone: Samsung Galaxy SIII

Posted 02 June 2014 - 16:40

That's the sad thing about American politics now. Nobody wants to work together, they just seem to want to alienate themselves from the other party. It's childish and petty and it's not benefiting us at all.

You're right and it's going to continue to be that way until we get 1 person to go against that, 1 person to gain the support of the masses and say stop this petty ###### and let's get things done. Think how much could have gotten done if Republicans had been more inclined to work with Democrats and the president... MAYBE he would have conceded on a few things they wanted, but instead they have said no..and done nothing since being elected in 2010...what a waste.

Christie better lose some weight.  The job of being POTUS is very stressful.  You think Christie's body can handle that stress ?

He won't get the nod, he's more moderate than Cruz.. If he does i have no doubt he'll take up smoking or something and the stress alone will make him lose a lot of weight.

#13 wv@gt

wv@gt

Neowinian Senior

• 4,247 posts

Posted 02 June 2014 - 16:44

Cruz is too much of an extremist. The GOP needs to win over the middle and even young voters, not going to happen with Cruz. 

Also on the religion topic, always find it funny when a politician like Cruz or even Santorum for the matter claims to be a constitutionalist, but preaches on about bringing Christian values into government. Did they forget about separation of church and state? 

#14 +Chris123NT

Chris123NT

Win8 Master

• 2,858 posts

Posted 02 June 2014 - 16:58

Christie won't get the GOP nod, he's a closet Democrat who supports things that the GOP are regularly against.

I would want to see a guy like Rand Paul get the nod.

#15 Stokkolm

Stokkolm

Neowinian Senior

• 3,079 posts
  • Phone: Lumia 1520

Posted 02 June 2014 - 17:03

My choice is definitely Rand Paul, there is nobody else out there who has the potential to attract everyday conservative voters as well as libertarians and independents. He also won the CPAC straw poll.

Christie can go jump off a bridge. In most states he wouldn't even be classified as a Republican.