Photo

• Please log in to reply
51 replies to this topic

#1 +warwagon

warwagon

Only you can prevent forest fires.

• Tech Issues Solved: 2

Posted 02 June 2014 - 14:22

A little word of warning when cleaning up peoples computers who have been subject to poo packs (Which is pretty much Everyone) .. as of recent I think uninstaller of optimizer pro or other optimizer software are destroying the programs and feature list

You'll notice this happening because as soon as you uninstall one of the optimizers and proceed to the next piece of crap (or any app in the list), it will say "This program has already been uninstalled". If you close and open program and features you'll notice the list is now empty or close to empty.

Only way to correct this is to do a system restore.

So my recommendation would be to uninstall all pieces of poo accept the optimizers. Let programs like Adwcleaner, malwarebytes or junk file remover take care of those.

#2 _dandy_

_dandy_

Neowinian Senior

Posted 02 June 2014 - 14:37

The real solution is to never install those so-called "cleaners" / "optimizers" in the first place...they either do nothing at all, or do more harm than good.

#3 OP +warwagon

warwagon

Posted 02 June 2014 - 14:53

The real solution is to never install those so-called "cleaners" / "optimizers" in the first place...they either do nothing at all, or do more harm than good.

Hence the term "poo packs" customers install. They get this software by clicking on the VERY first search results in Google searches. Which are a bundled poo pack included in the software they are looking for.

#4 _dandy_

_dandy_

Neowinian Senior

Posted 02 June 2014 - 19:58

Hence the term "###### packs" customers install. They get this software by clicking on the VERY first search results in google searches. Which are a bundled ###### pack included in the software they are looking for.

Pardon me for not knowing what "######" stands for.

Codec packs?  :-)

#5 OP +warwagon

warwagon

Posted 02 June 2014 - 22:01

Pardon me for not knowing what "######" stands for.

Codec packs?  :-)

Poo packs.

Attached Images

• Capture.JPG

#6 Top Qat

Top Qat

Neowinian

• Tech Issues Solved: 6
  • Phone: Samsung Galaxy S 3

Posted 02 June 2014 - 22:11

Always download software from the original developer's web site. Ignore the ads returned at the top of the Google results.

#7 OP +warwagon

warwagon

Posted 02 June 2014 - 22:12

Always download software from the original developer's web site. Ignore the ads returned at the top of the Google results.

which 99% of all average users never do.

Just today I cleaned up 3 computers today and 2 on saturday that had installed poo packs.

#8 Gotenks98

Gotenks98

Neowinian

Posted 02 June 2014 - 22:14

which 99% of all average users never do.

Just today I cleaned up 3 computers today and 2 on saturday that had installed poo packs.

I agree here. I spend at least a good 3rd of my time in cleaning systems removing all this junk. I just wish there was a way to make crap like this against the law so people cant download it.

#9 +jamesyfx

jamesyfx

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 1
  • Phone: Nexus 5

Posted 02 June 2014 - 22:15

I just wish what I can general users actually examined what dialog boxes say when they appear instead of clicking Yes to get rid of it. If they just did that... their lives would be a whole lot easier.

I don't do it as often as I used to, but I ran Malwarebytes on one of my friends' mothers laptop, all she does is use ebay and play a few games. 900+ malware detections. -_- And this is a fairly new laptop, came pre installed with Windows 8.

#10 Andre S.

Andre S.

Asik

• Tech Issues Solved: 10

Posted 02 June 2014 - 22:19

Poop packs.

Those fake search results are a crime against humanity.

#11 Aergan

Aergan

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 6
  • OS: Xubuntu 14.04.1 / Server 2012 R2 / Ubuntu Server 14.04.1
  • Phone: Sony Xperia Z1

Posted 02 June 2014 - 22:36

I found the path of behavioural conditioning works well: You break it, I format it. Don't like it? Don't break it. No OS restore DVD / partition / system image? Enjoy FOSS.

Less people come to me with home computer type problems these days.

#12 Sikh

Sikh

Neowin Addict!

• Phone: Nexus 5 PA 4.4.2 / iPhone 5

Posted 02 June 2014 - 22:46

I found the path of behavioural conditioning works well: You break it, I format it. Don't like it? Don't break it. No OS restore DVD / partition / system image? Enjoy FOSS.

Less people come to me with home computer type problems these days.

This is what I did to all my customers. Only 5% listened. The others bitched and moaned. They decided to get a external hard drive as backup and keep everything on it which in return meant its always plugegd in. I would explain this defeats the purpose but nope. So they break I reformat it breaks instantly I laugh and reformat. Some decided that I was stupid and went to best buy. After shelling out 2-300 they called me in saying sorry. I would go over see all the best buy junk and sticker and would leave. Not worth my time. Especially after all the crap they say to you when they think your jerking them.

#13 OP +warwagon

warwagon

Posted 02 June 2014 - 22:56

This is what I did to all my customers. Only 5% listened. The others bitched and moaned. They decided to get a external hard drive as backup and keep everything on it which in return meant its always plugegd in. I would explain this defeats the purpose but nope. So they break I reformat it breaks instantly I laugh and reformat. Some decided that I was stupid and went to best buy. After shelling out 2-300 they called me in saying sorry. I would go over see all the best buy junk and sticker and would leave. Not worth my time. Especially after all the crap they say to you when they think your jerking them.

If a customer gets a crap pack i'm not going to waste my time and reinstall windows each time they do it. I had one customer download a crap pack 2 days after I just cleaned. He told me he realized what he did to. He clicked on one of the ads.

For the last 3 years. Every time I reinstall windows for a customer I image their hard drive onto a 1 TB drive well Now I have 4 drives

Customer Drive Images 1-1 / 1-2

Customer Drive Images 2-1  2-2

that holds customer drive images. This way if I reformat, install a new hard drive and the drive dies in a week I don't have to reinstall all over again.

or if something happens in a few months or a years time. These images don't hold any customer data just the reinstall itself. I also name them by computer model number. So if I ever come across a desktop that I have in my data base i'll just use that image.

#14 +Obi-Wan Kenobi

Obi-Wan Kenobi

"You were the chosen one!"

Posted 02 June 2014 - 22:58

Lol...poo packs XD

#15 OP +warwagon

warwagon

Posted 02 June 2014 - 22:59

Lol...poo packs XD

You like that do ya? :D