Photo

• Please log in to reply
51 replies to this topic

#46 OP +warwagon

warwagon

Only you can prevent forest fires.

• Tech Issues Solved: 2

Posted 04 June 2014 - 20:54

I read the first page and here by put a motion forward that we widely adopt the use of the word "Poo Pack" here on Neowin.

All in favor say I. 

i

#47 adam.mt

adam.mt

Neowinian

• Tech Issues Solved: 1

Posted 04 June 2014 - 21:37

After letting them do that once or twice, you'd think whoever's doing the cleanup would end up just removing admin rights.

If they insist on having those rights, and they manage to re-infect themselves, that's where you start charging a premium.

Definitely the way to go. I find if you configure two accounts (one standard account for general use, the other admin account for installs) then it dramatically cuts down on the likelihood of reinfection - by putting an extra step in the way, the user is far more likely to think about what they are doing rather than blindly clicking yes on every pop-up. And yes you give them the admin password, it's too much hassle to withhold it. This is exactly the reason why Microsoft introduced UAC in Windows Vista.

Stuff like this is one primary reason why I got my mom a Surface a while back - since it's an ARM processor, and you can't install desktop apps, it's immune to malware/toolbars/optimizers/etc.  All she does is edit Word docs, do some simple Excel spreadsheets, email, and browse the web.  She loves the thing and rarely uses her older desktop PC any more, and my life has improved dramatically by not needing to constantly be removing all that stuff every time I stop by. 

Or alternatively they can use their existing PC, just remove the admin rights and don't give them the password  :laugh:

#48 astropheed

astropheed

astropheed

Posted 04 June 2014 - 22:05

I just yell and scream at the people who have copious amounts of crap on their machines. Afterwards, I pick up their laptop (it's always a laptop) and throw it at the wall proclaiming, "you brought this on yourselves!". At this point I say, "the machine is fixed and it'll no longer cause you any problems". I don't have customers anymore so I can only assume my unorthodox methods are working.

#49 Shiranui

Shiranui

Iconoclast

• Tech Issues Solved: 3

Posted 05 June 2014 - 00:56

Defragging is pointless with today's technology. 

Unless you have an SSD, which should be mandatory now, defragging is not pointless.

#50 shozilla

shozilla

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 8

Posted 05 June 2014 - 01:03

Grab a sledgehammer and smash those PCs 

:shifty:

#51 Gotenks98

Gotenks98

Neowinian

• Tech Issues Solved: 1

Posted 05 June 2014 - 01:23

Yeah, nowadays you gotta spent at least 10 minutes looking for the REAL download button :angry: ,

cause the others are to get YOU!  :shiftyninja:

Yeah its getting real retarded with the way the sites are now. Daemon Tools is one that has all these fake links in it as well as poop packs if you don't watch the selections. So glad I moved to Windows 8 and don't need this software anymore.

I.

I

Unless you have an SSD, which should be mandatory now, defragging is not pointless.

It is pointless for 2 reasons, Windows Vista thru 8.1 windows auto defrags when your not using it. And even with spinning HDDs the access times are fast enough to compensate for fragmentation. Like I said before its pointless to try to optimize defragging

#52 OP +warwagon

warwagon

Only you can prevent forest fires.

Posted 05 June 2014 - 19:06

Maybe you worded that wrong. The way you have it worded now sounds like "The only thing you have to defrag is SSD's not hard drives"  Let me help reword it

You never want to defrag an SSD, it's bad for them. If you have a HDD you can defrag them, but windows Vista / 7 / 8.1 does it for you so there is really no need.