Crytek's Homefront 2 announced

by Ben Parfitt

Monday, June 2nd 2014 at 2:00PM BST

2db785d79f68024c5110bb549d7362eb.jpg

Crytek and Deep Silver have announced they are to share publishing duties on new shooter Homefront: The Revolution.

The open-world sequel to 2011 shooter Homefront is due for release on PS4, Xbox One and PC in 2015.

It?s set in Philadelphia which has become a police state and ?a near future dystopia where catastrophic events have brought the USA to its knees and enabled North Korean forces to impose a brutal military occupation?. The game promises ?a living, breathing, open world responds to your actions?.

The kick is that the enemy enjoy superior tech and firepower, meaning players will have to rely on guerrilla warfare, ambush, infiltration and deception. Single player and co-op modes will feature.

It?s being developed at Crytek?s Nottingham studio ? formerly known as Timesplitters, Second Sight and Haze creators Free Radical.

"Homefront: The Revolution stands out from the crowd by immersing players in a world where they'll feel emotionally compelled to fight for their freedom,? Crytek?s game director Hasit Zala said.

?We're very excited to work with Deep Silver and deliver an experience that underlines Crytek's commitment to quality whilst tapping into the huge potential we saw when we first acquired the Homefront IP."

Koch media CEO Klemens Kundratitz added: "Crytek has an outstanding track record of creating AAA action games. Homefront is a fascinating IP with huge global potential. With Crytek`s technical pedigree and Deep Silver?s publishing expertise we will take the IP to new heights."

UPDATE: And here's the first trailer:

http://www.mcvuk.com/news/read/crytek-s-homefront-2-announced/0133279

• Like 2

The first Homefront was a pretty good game. The multiplayer was a little arcadey, but still deep enough to differentiate itself from CoD. It kept me entertained for quite a while. 

Nice, I see it apparently is only for "next gen" consoles. Would be great if that is the case.

Looks like... err, Crysis 2, actually. With all the vaseline they could find to cover the road surface, too. I'll give it a chance for now, but only in hopes it will yet manage to distance itself from being another Modern Ghost Advanced Recon Warfare.

I don't even remember what in particular I didn't like about the first Homefront.

• Like 1

Looks like... err, Crysis 2, actually. With all the vaseline they could find to cover the road surface, too. I'll give it a chance for now, but only in hopes it will yet manage to distance itself from being another Modern Ghost Advanced Recon Warfare.

I don't even remember what in particular I didn't like about the first Homefront.

The first one was OK, definitely enjoyable and worthy of a sequel. Too bad THQ are not around to do it, but Deep Silver are crazy enough to support a more liberal and possibly more creative project. And yeah get used to it, the DX11/DX12 current-gen era will forever be remembered as the KY Shine Age.

EDIT: and this is definitely more Call of Battle Warfare, i don't think it has any allusions of being anything else, so fair enough

You mean a more communist project. Glory to the Great Leader!

Would not put it passed Deep Silver to send journalists a huge bust of Our Great Leader. Good morning America! Crop yields are up 50% and tractor production has never been higher!

• 2 weeks later...

Better yet, this game is coming to Linux! [link]

It should support AMD's Mantle API too.

Most importantly, it's the first ever Crytek game with no obviously odd spelling in the title!

But yeah, support for Linux is great, and i fully expect the PC to take the lead on this one. The more the merrier.

• 2 weeks later...

Is this another generic FPS?

It's not going to set new standards i would guess, but you never know. We all thought Wolfenstein New Order was going to suck, but it turned out great. Be more positive!