WWDC 2014 Keynote discussion.

The biggest thing for me was continuity, thats huge from a productivity standpoint. I still think its interesting how they merged almost every thought Microsoft had with the Longhorn sidebar into the notification center. Dashboard even though people still used it, hasn't really had any attention in while. 

iCloud drive is lacking the most fundamental feature...

Why, when you purchase an iOS device, at great expense, be it 8g or 128gigs do you only get 5gb iCloud? Surely you should get the capacity of your device as a minimum.

"Back up all you photos, documents etc to iCloud"

"I have 43gigs of photos!"

"Ah, you're stuffed - pay us another ?70/year for that"

"I just spent ?600 on this iPad"

"Did you notice it has an Apple on it?"

"Oh"

I am on OS X 10.10 now, don't really like it, too much transparency finding it hard to read stuff and the font is too small in some places. Also every app is kind of broken now and needs to update to fit in with the new theme and somehow I see that could take years with some devs lol

If anyone has a open spot on their dev account for another iOS device I would love to give iOS 8 a try on my iPhone or iPad. 

Microsoft should update the desktop UI and iciuns to compete with apple.

Longhorn's sidebar didn't fail, Microsoft killed it before it came to market because it was too ambitious.

That's a great thing, Apple update the folders/icons almost every release, even if its a small tweak. We're still on a mix of Vista/7 icons and it annoys me. 

OS X has a new boot animation, sort of!

Progress bar and everything.

Weird, my bootup is black with a white logo.

He's busy making millions by creating amazing engines/frameworks.

Grow up.

Congratulations, I wasn't talking about what he makes, I was just saying it looked to me he lacked confidence in himself.

He reminds me of one of the characters on Silicon Valley, ha.

• Like 1

He reminds me of one of the characters on Silicon Valley, ha.

Now I can agree with you.

He's definitely channelling his innner Richard Hendricks. The entire "metal" presentation and overview reminded me of last night's episode.

I am on OS X 10.10 now, don't really like it, too much transparency finding it hard to read stuff and the font is too small in some places. Also every app is kind of broken now and needs to update to fit in with the new theme and somehow I see that could take years with some devs lol

It's an early beta and if Apple listen these niggles will be ironed out, and i've always been surprised at how quick devs release updates for apps on OSX so i don't think we'll be waiting around long.. unless your using old software that isn't receiving updates anyway.

I've got people on my Twitter, not devs but paying the $99 year for access to a developer account so they can download a beta, installing it is as their main OS, then talking about it on Twitter like some sort of Apple technical wizard spokesperson and then complaining about how broken it is and not working with apps /facepalm 

Apple must be getting annoyed at how easy it is to make games that work on Android and iOS for them to make a new proprietary rendering API. Problem of course is that these days it doesn't make sense to write your own engine when you have Unreal and CryEngine for basically nothing, and they'd just support both APIs so it won't actually stop cross platform games.

It's an early beta and if Apple listen these niggles will be ironed out, and i've always been surprised at how quick devs release updates for apps on OSX so i don't think we'll be waiting around long.. unless your using old software that isn't receiving updates anyway.

I've got people on my Twitter, not devs but paying the $99 year for access to a developer account so they can download a beta, installing it is as their main OS, then talking about it on Twitter like some sort of Apple technical wizard spokesperson and then complaining about how broken it is and not working with apps /facepalm 

Except I pay developer because I actually am a developer, that is my job, creating apps. I understand its a beta but this is generally what it is going to look like on release.

Except I pay developer because I actually am a developer, that is my job, creating apps. I understand its a beta but this is generally what it is going to look like on release.

Sorry i wasn't suggested you were 'one of those guys' .. that was a completely separate statement.

Yes it will generally look like that, but thats not to say they wont make subtle changes based on feedback? not saying they will or wont, but if 90% of the devs are filing reports saying they can't read text or whatever surely they'll do something about it? Kinda like they did with iOS 7.1 which had improvements to text etc..

Just got a chance to finally download, install and play with Yosemite.

Liking it quite a bit. I didn't necessarily feel that Mavs looked bad (it didn't), but I do appreciate that Apple is unifying OS X to look a bit more like iOS now. I like the Helvetica typefaces compared to Lucida Grande, although Apple does go back and forth on transparency, don't they? The earliest OS X releases had transparency, it was toned down in later releases and now it's back. Granted, I feel this is by far the best usage of transparency yet.

Overall, my first impression is quite good and even DP1 is really quite solid for me. Should be a great release when it's ready.

Yay. Flat icons. Prepare for ugly mix of old and new dock icons in the screenshot threads.

Ooh, dark mode. This could be cool.

Depends on how quickly third-party app developers update their icons. I feel that historically, it hasn't taken that long. Apple already has most of its icons updated (which is something I really wish Microsoft would do for the Win8 UI), although I really don't care for the new System Preferences icon. I feel going for a circular icon would be better.

Looks a hell of a lot better than Windows 8 :laugh: Windows 8 took away transparency OX is adding it more.

Disagree. Win8 looks very nice, IMO, as I've always preferred flat, square windows to gradient-heavy, rounded ones. Microsoft has its own issues with updating their icons and making their UI look consistent, but, still, it's also up to third-party program developers to update their software and make it as integrated as possible with Win8.

iCloud drive needed to happen a long time ago :/

Private mode for "banking" uh? :D

I fully agree on iCloud Drive. I'm very glad now that I can organize my iCloud documents the way I want. I really didn't care for the "one giant folder" approach, and it was one of the reasons I didn't keep a lot of things in iCloud.

lol @ Dre

Summer beta and free again like 10.9 :woot:

I would expect all future OS X releases to be free at this point. OS X started at $129 per release, then dropped to $29 per release, and then became free after Mavs, right? Would be strange for them to start charging money for it again. It also reinforces that Apple still very much makes it money from hardware, not software.

Also, I'm still confused a bit on Swift. Is it completely replacing Objective-C, or is it some kind of supplement to it?

Disagree. Win8 looks very nice, IMO, as I've always preferred flat, square windows to gradient-heavy, rounded ones. Microsoft has its own issues with updating their icons and making their UI look consistent, but, still, it's also up to third-party program developers to update their software and make it as integrated as possible with Win8.

I disagree, I think Windows 7 looked much nicer. Mostly because of the Aero transparency.

• Like 1

One big annoyance is "Zoom" is now "Fullscreen". You have to hold down option to use the Zoom feature.

Doesn't bother me too much since the zoom function didn't seem to work very well, anyway. Although I do wonder if Apple might add an option to change the default behavior.

DP1 has been really good so far. Most of the bugs I've found thus far have been related to fullscreen Finder and transparency.

Also, I'm still confused a bit on Swift. Is it completely replacing Objective-C, or is it some kind of supplement to it?

It's a replacement for Objective-C. However, Objective-C and Swift code can co-exist together in the same project. Swift looks awesome. I haven't done much iOS development in the past several months, but now I can't wait to get back into it.

This makes me wish that I could use something more modern than Java 6/7 on Android.