• Best iOS EVER
    • One of the better releases
    • OK, it didn't have everything, but it's still pretty good
    • Missing features, lackluster
    • Hate it! (But I will still get it)
    • Not ever upgrading!
    • Give me back iOS 7!

From the iOS 8 Continuity page: http://www.apple.com/ios/ios8/continuity/

Is Apple bringing back full screen caller pictures to the iPhone after dropping them in 7.1?

I hope so, but the first beta doesn't have it. 

Anyone have any idea how long these betas last? Is it the 2-4 weeks?

I too am a iPhone 4 user, but I've been waiting to upgrade for ages. I opted against the iPhone 5 and 5S/C. Glad I did hold out because I would love a 5.5" iPhone 6. My wife is even more desperate for the new iPhone as she's still using a 3GS, but I suspect she'll go for the 4.7" (both sizes based on rumours of course! I'm just hoping the rumours of the 5.5" being delayed are not true!)

I'm thinking about installing the beta as my device is on "the list"... might wait for beta 2 though.  

Seems like most of the features I'm interested in are not going to really surface until release as I'm more interested in what 3rd party apps are going to be doing with iOS 8.

So long as the features make it in and they are not half-baked it will be awesome I'm sure.  There definitely was getting to be a laundry list of features from Android and WP that just hadn't made it into iOS yet.

I'm not sure I fully understand what the app extensions will mean...

Does this mean that, like for instance, I can have FileBrowser for iPad connected to a Windows Server SMB file share and actually have that app serve a powerpoint file to Microsoft PowerPoint for iPad without having to copy the file into iPad PowerPoint space?  And then when PowerPoint saves the file, it can serve it back to FileBrowser to store over the original file?

Or am I being too hopeful on that?

I'll be honest, right now at my job I think we will have Windows tablets soon.  Not because the software is better, but because of the file access and the requirement for good file access.  I've been using my iPad a lot as a "companion" but little things like having to use OneDrive for MS Office for iPad is annoying.

I hope so, but the first beta doesn't have it. 

Anyone have any idea how long these betas last? Is it the 2-4 weeks?

iOS 7 betas were generally updated every two weeks. iOS 8 will probably follow the same schedule, so possible a release next week?

Beta 2 was released last night, find the Release Notes here

Biggest changes that I saw -

• Location being always on has been fixed
  • Clicking on the thumbnail after taking a picture loads the correct picture
  • Podcasts is now pre-installed
  • Safari now blocks ads from automatically redirecting to the App Store without user interaction.

Bad news for Whatsapp users, that's still broken.

The one thing I am very disappointed they STILL have not included in iOS8 is support for multiple users for the iPad.

I get that they won't support it for iPhone because that doesn't make sense, everyone has their own phone. But a tablet is more of a coffee table device within the home.  Our iPad is shared between the wife and kids and it is annoying that we can't personalise apps/mail/etc for multiple users and just have to have a default account on there.

It is for this reason I am seriously considering a Surface for our next tablet purchase.

I'm wondering whether they might introduce that alongside the TouchID in the new iPad Air. Maybe I'm just dreaming...

Beta 2 was released last night, find the Release Notes here

Biggest changes that I saw -

• Location being always on has been fixed
  • Clicking on the thumbnail after taking a picture loads the correct picture
  • Podcasts is now pre-installed
  • Safari now blocks ads from automatically redirecting to the App Store without user interaction.

Bad news for Whatsapp users, that's still broken.

Is Skype 5.0 still bugged where you can't send any messages?

I reverted to 7.1.1 because of this issue, would like to know if its fixed.

Any improvements in battery life? Specially with old devices like iPhone 4s and 5.

Is Skype 5.0 still bugged where you can't send any messages?

I reverted to 7.1.1 because of this issue, would like to know if its fixed.

I never had any issues with Skype :s

Any improvements in battery life? Specially with old devices like iPhone 4s and 5.

Yep, there were a few bugs that caused this (location services being the biggest culprit) so it's getting better, I'll have a better idea once I've completed a full charge and used it properly. Will report back. Using a 5 btw

For me, with the new version of Skype, I could never send a message with iOS8 beta 1. It would allow me to type the message, but the send button/icon wouldnt work. 
If you have the new version of Skype and beta 2, would you mind trying to send a message to a contact and let me know if that send button/icon now works? Much appreciated. :)

For me, with the new version of Skype, I could never send a message with iOS8 beta 1. It would allow me to type the message, but the send button/icon wouldnt work. 

If you have the new version of Skype and beta 2, would you mind trying to send a message to a contact and let me know if that send button/icon now works? Much appreciated. :)

Okay so I think I see what you mean. Using ver. 5.0.0.3554 of Skype. This is what I did

1. Type a message
  2. Hit send, nothing happens
  3. Hit the back button
  4. Select conversation/contact again
  5. Message appears (not sent) in the dialogue bit
  6. Hit send again
  7. Send successfully.

So looks to be an issue still, but there's a work around.

Battery life with light usage, a few emails/text/calls, browsing the interwebs etc. Wifi has been on constantly and screen brightness set to automatic.  

Standby 24 hours so far with 30% battery left. 

To me seems to be about the same, reading on other forums there are still small bugs that are causing higher than normal battery usage so it could improved as the we get more betas delivered.

Okay so I think I see what you mean. Using ver. 5.0.0.3554 of Skype. This is what I did

1. Type a message
  2. Hit send, nothing happens
  3. Hit the back button
  4. Select conversation/contact again
  5. Message appears (not sent) in the dialogue bit
  6. Hit send again
  7. Send successfully.

So looks to be an issue still, but there's a work around.

Thank you that's what I wanted to know :) 

Beta 2 really drained battery life for me on iPhone 5.

Also it took ages to restore from settings etc from iCloud.

One noticeable bug I found was when restoring from iCloud the recent calls that were made previous showed as unknown if there were in my contacts. All other numbers that were not in my contacts showed correctly.

I had to restore back to 7.1.1 as the battery drain was far to quick.

Beta 2 really drained battery life for me on iPhone 5.

Also it took ages to restore from settings etc from iCloud.

One noticeable bug I found was when restoring from iCloud the recent calls that were made previous showed as unknown if there were in my contacts. All other numbers that were not in my contacts showed correctly.

I had to restore back to 7.1.1 as the battery drain was far to quick.

Care to elaborate on the battery drain? What did you get with Beta 2 and what do you normally get? 

Did you report the bug? It's what these betas are for :P

There are still issues, people found that resetting all settings seemed to solve that issue with battery drain and stopped a few apps crashing. 

Battery drain was at least 50% more compared to iOS 7.1.1. I was in a rush to restore back to think about resetting all settings. I needed the phone to last the whole day without charge as I needed it. So I had to quickly restore back.

I may try beat 2 again and try the reset

Battery drain was at least 50% more compared to iOS 7.1.1. I was in a rush to restore back to think about resetting all settings. I needed the phone to last the whole day without charge as I needed it. So I had to quickly restore back.

I may try beat 2 again and try the reset

That's fair enough, it's been decent for me. Give it another go when you have more time to play around with it. It's been a huge improvement over Beta 1 for me. :)

Well I tried again with Beta 2 and battery life was still really bad. So I went to reset all settings and it rebooted and got stuck on the progress bar that comes up. Hard reset again and the progress bar came up again but got a bit further but froze again. Had to revert back to 7.1.1

Well I tried again with Beta 2 and battery life was still really bad. So I went to reset all settings and it rebooted and got stuck on the progress bar that comes up. Hard reset again and the progress bar came up again but got a bit further but froze again. Had to revert back to 7.1.1

Over the weekend, my phone started to have some issues, with random freezes and not being able to text people. I tried to do a reset all settings this morning and not it's seems to be stuck for me too. Will have to restore my phone after work tonight.