1. 1. What do you think of iOS 8?

• Best iOS EVER
    • One of the better releases
    • OK, it didn't have everything, but it's still pretty good
    • Missing features, lackluster
    • Hate it! (But I will still get it)
    • Not ever upgrading!
    • Give me back iOS 7!

is the swype style keyboard not available for the 4s. That is my test phone and i cannot seam to get it to work.

I would also find it useful if my Windows phone calls poped up on my Surface along with a message threads from the messaging app. Apple here has thought about integration, which benefits the user. Problem is, no one uses a mac...

I would also find it useful if my Windows phone calls poped up on my Surface along with a message threads from the messaging app. Apple here has thought about integration, which benefits the user. Problem is, no one uses a mac...

Very true, but it'll probably be a bigger deal with people with an iPhone and iPad.

The same can be said about the surface nobody really uses a surface.

oh crap!! So my phone just crashed and now it says activation error because I am not a registered device..  

Anyone have a spot available on their dev account they could add my phone please? 

It has to be said, prior to Continuity and all this cool integration we learned about yesterday, there was no real advantage in pairing up a Mac with an iPhone and/or an iPad. You could do just fine with a Windows PC. The only advantages of keeping an iPad and iPhone paired together is to take advantage of Bluetooth tethering and sharing the app ecosystem. Messages on iPad were limited to iMessages only so the use there was severely limited given the amount of Android-using friends I have.

Now with Continuity, there is a compelling reason to tie in the entire ecosystem of devices together.

• Like 3

It has to be said, prior to Continuity and all this cool integration we learned about yesterday, there was no real advantage in pairing up a Mac with an iPhone and/or an iPad. You could do just fine with a Windows PC. The only advantages of keeping an iPad and iPhone paired together is to take advantage of Bluetooth tethering and sharing the app ecosystem. Messages on iPad were limited to iMessages only so the use there was severely limited given the amount of Android-using friends I have.

Now with Continuity, there is a compelling reason to tie in the entire ecosystem of devices together.

While I get that integration is good, the walled garden inhibits (for a lack of a better word) the users who don't have a mac.

While I get that integration is good, the walled garden inhibits (for a lack of a better word) the users who don't have a mac.

Likely, this integration will drive more users toward Macs. With people unhappy with Windows 8 adding to the shift as well...

I'm sure this is why Apple seized this chance. They can finally give on the fence users a slightly more direct nudge over to their side.

After the keynote I was thinking "god damn I kind of want an iPhone again". The problem is I also want a Macbook Air (when it gets a retina display). I love my Android phone but only really because it is bigger than the iPhone 5s. Hopefully the iPhone 6 will be a nice 5" phone with a decent battery. I much prefer iOS over Android and with all of these integration bits coming it is looking like a really nice setup. Steve Jobs would be very happy to see all of the integration finally happening so cleanly and transparently. They did a great job if it really does works as in the demo.

I really wish Windows Phone worked with Windows so well. Microsoft keeps going on about how great the integration is but it just isn't and it needs a lot of work which I don't think Microsoft will have ready any time soon.

I'm considering a 5S because I have a Exchange Plan w Best Buy. Is the battery life bad on the 5S. I currently use GSNote III but feel like something new. My battery lasts almost two days no charge, how about the 5S am I going back to daily charges?

I'm considering a 5S because I have a Exchange Plan w Best Buy. Is the battery life bad on the 5S. I currently use GSNote III but feel like something new. My battery lasts almost two days no charge, how about the 5S am I going back to daily charges?

I can easily go a weekend of casual usage without having to charge mine.  I'm sure the Note gets better battery life since it has a gigantic battery, but the 5S is very respectable.

• Like 1

My wife gets a full day out of hers with heavy email and gaming (she works for Sega so is often testing new games). At the weekends it can go from charging overnight Friday to Sunday night without going below 10% which is pretty average for smartphones IMHO. I have a Moto G and get 4 days on general use, 2 to 3 days on heavy use :)

• Like 1

I want to upgrade my iPhone 4s right now, so bad.  Not sure if I can make it 'till "the fall".  

What are the chances that Apple will simply release the 5s guts with a larger screen as the iPhone6? 

is the swype style keyboard not available for the 4s. That is my test phone and i cannot seam to get it to work.

This is something id love to see too

My wife gets a full day out of hers with heavy email and gaming (she works for Sega so is often testing new games). At the weekends it can go from charging overnight Friday to Sunday night without going below 10% which is pretty average for smartphones IMHO. I have a Moto G and get 4 days on general use, 2 to 3 days on heavy use :)

Okay sweet! Can't wait! Would get iPhone 6 but my PEP ends!!

iOS 7 -> iOS 8 doesn't feel as big a leap as Mavs -> Yosemite, but it's nice nonetheless. I feel it could have passed for a 7.2 release, frankly.

The "Hey, Siri" thing is pretty cool. I'm also glad that I can get Swype on my iPhone; probably my most missed thing from Android. 

The coolest thing though is how my iPad and iPhone will now integrate with my MacBook. So very cool. I'm really looking forward to that. 

Wasn't this feature added already?

Well, come to think about it I use Chrome so I always picked up where I left off on another device.

iOS 7 -> iOS 8 doesn't feel as big a leap as Mavs -> Yosemite, but it's nice nonetheless. I feel it could have passed for a 7.2 release, frankly.

Well the number of API changes is really what is causing the major number bump. From a developer perspective it is a huge change and this warrents a major version bump. HealthKit, HomeKit, Continuity, etc. all pretty massive things.

Wasn't this feature added already?

Well, come to think about it I use Chrome so I always picked up where I left off on another device.

The tabs on other devices is already there, Safari has it too. I was referring to the call answering, document sharing between the devices (getting to start a document on my iPad and getting to hand it off to Mac (or vice versa) instantly to finish it is so cool) and being able to enable my wifi hotspot from my MacBook. 

Does anyone know if, in iOS 8, it is finally possible to add a song one happens to be listening to at the moment to a pre-existing playlist using the action menu or something similar without leaving the "Now Playing" screen? The fact that Apple have not released this yet is puzzling/infuriating (delete as appropriate) to me.

Who has a mac? Does Continuity work well? 

Who has a mac? Does Continuity work well? 

My flat mate does and has been playing around with it for a few days. It does work and is pretty nifty. He was browsing something on his phone and then switched over to his iPad. Think it's still a little buggy, doesn't always work first and he had difficulty with his MacBook, it wouldn't recognise his phone. 

Between his iPad and iPhone, it worked and worked well (for a beta)

The one thing I am very disappointed they STILL have not included in iOS8 is support for multiple users for the iPad.

I get that they won't support it for iPhone because that doesn't make sense, everyone has their own phone. But a tablet is more of a coffee table device within the home.  Our iPad is shared between the wife and kids and it is annoying that we can't personalise apps/mail/etc for multiple users and just have to have a default account on there.

It is for this reason I am seriously considering a Surface for our next tablet purchase.

• Like 2

The one thing I am very disappointed they STILL have not included in iOS8 is support for multiple users for the iPad.

I get that they won't support it for iPhone because that doesn't make sense, everyone has their own phone. But a tablet is more of a coffee table device within the home.  Our iPad is shared between the wife and kids and it is annoying that we can't personalise apps/mail/etc for multiple users and just have to have a default account on there.

It is for this reason I am seriously considering a Surface for our next tablet purchase.

heck, even android tablets support multiple users now (has since 4.1 i think)

Yes, you should consider Surface. My family has BOTH iPad 2 and Surface RT (1st Gen), and my wife who actually likes Apple iPad uses Surface more because it supports multiple users. Also when writes email or does her work, she uses Surface because of preloaded MS Office. I also tried iPad and Surface, but Surface after updated to 8.1, is more useful for me as well. Our kids use iPad as a toy for playing games and Instagram stuff.