Graphics card upgrade time, need advice

nvidia amd geforce better framerates

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1 vetLOC

LOC

I finally changed this.

Posted 03 June 2014 - 08:17

So I decided to ask my friend to lend me some money so I can get a new GPU. My current card is an nvidia Geforce 560 Ti and while it's served it's purpose quite nicely for a couple years - some games are starting to really slow it down, and just feel sluggish in general.

So, as there are a billion video card options and a billion places to get one from - which card would be a good purchase specifically as an upgrade for the 560Ti, and is around $150? I'm going to try to order from Amazon (got a trial going of Prime) or Newegg, but I'd be open to another online retailer if they are you know, legit and not some mom and pop webstore.

I'd like to get a GT750 Superclock from Evga, Amazon has one for $139 last I checked.

#2 Aheer.R.S.

Aheer.R.S.

I cannot Teach Him, the Boy has no Patience!

• Tech Issues Solved: 9

Posted 03 June 2014 - 08:22

Dunno, but I'll happily take the 560 off of your hands

#3 OP vetLOC

LOC

I finally changed this.

Posted 03 June 2014 - 08:23

I'd love to, but I'm going to put it into my older PC I don't use anymore, so my niece here can have her own computer. Sorry sir :(

#4 Aheer.R.S.

Aheer.R.S.

I cannot Teach Him, the Boy has no Patience!

• Tech Issues Solved: 9

Posted 03 June 2014 - 08:27

That's ok, but I would suggest paging phouchg or boo berry (off the top of my head) that can steer you in the right direction for a new graphics card

I am intrigued though.. a 560ti sluggish? I'm running a gt430 and although it wouldn't handle doom at full graphics, it runs quite happily at higher than mid settings on starcraft.... What game's pushing it to the max??

#5 spikey_richie

spikey_richie

XXXIII

• Tech Issues Solved: 5
  • Phone: Sony Xperia Z1

Posted 03 June 2014 - 08:28

I just got a GTX 750 Ti FTW ACX which is a tidy card, and is in budget.

#6 OP vetLOC

LOC

I finally changed this.

Posted 03 June 2014 - 08:36

That's ok, but I would suggest paging phouchg or boo berry (off the top of my head) that can steer you in the right direction for a new graphics card

I am intrigued though.. a 560ti sluggish? I'm running a gt430 and although it wouldn't handle doom at full graphics, it runs quite happily at higher than mid settings on starcraft.... What game's pushing it to the max??

Well, I'm also on a fairly old CPU (AMD Phenom X3 @2.4 Ghz (I think)). Watch Dogs, even Wolfenstein (in open areas with lots of dudes on screen at once), BF4 doesn't run that great either.

I just got a GTX 750 Ti FTW ACX which is a tidy card, and is in budget.

Yeah I was looking at that one, there's a superclocked one I can get from Amazon for $139. But I'm not sure how much of an upgrade it'd  be over my 560Ti. 

#7 spikey_richie

spikey_richie

XXXIII

• Tech Issues Solved: 5
  • Phone: Sony Xperia Z1

Posted 03 June 2014 - 08:41

http://gpuboss.com/compare-gpus

http://www.hwcompare.com/

The GTX 750 Ti will use a lot less power than your 560 Ti, but aside from that it would appear your card is as good as if not better than the GTX 750 Ti. So with that, Aheer and I will gladly share your $150 donation :D

#8 OP vetLOC

LOC

I finally changed this.

Posted 03 June 2014 - 08:49

I'm looking at the Radeon R9 270X right now. Looks like a nice upgrade from the 560Ti actually, and my friend will let me spend the extra money on it since I'm paying her back monthly anyways.

#9 Lamp Post

Lamp Post

Neowinian

Posted 03 June 2014 - 08:58

I'm looking at the Radeon R9 270X right now. Looks like a nice upgrade from the 560Ti actually, and my friend will let me spend the extra money on it since I'm paying her back monthly anyways.

I just bought one of those myself, the Sapphire R9 270X 4GB OC. Been pretty happy with it so far, but haven't got around to test Watch Dogs with it yet. Which 270X in particular is it you're looking at?

#10 OP vetLOC

LOC

I finally changed this.

Posted 03 June 2014 - 09:01

I just bought one of those myself, the Sapphire R9 270X 4GB OC. Been pretty happy with it so far, but haven't got around to test Watch Dogs with it yet. Which 270X in particular is it you're looking at?

http://www.amazon.co...=A2L77EE7U53NWQ

:|

#11 Luc2k

Luc2k

Neowinian

• Tech Issues Solved: 3

Posted 03 June 2014 - 09:27

What an odd price. It normally sells for 200$ without any discounts. I guess they included the price of the free games and then discounted them for "teh savings". Anyway, the MSI has the best cooling overall, so it's a good choice.

#12 Lamp Post

Lamp Post

Neowinian

Posted 03 June 2014 - 11:09

What an odd price. It normally sells for 200$ without any discounts. I guess they included the price of the free games and then discounted them for "teh savings". Anyway, the MSI has the best cooling overall, so it's a good choice.

I think it's recommended to have 3GB+ of VRAM for Watch Dogs. Just a thing to keep in mind if you plan to play that game.

#13 OP vetLOC

LOC

I finally changed this.

Posted 03 June 2014 - 11:53

Ok, I decided to go with this guy: http://www.amazon.co...01795465&sr=1-2

Good, bad, a step up from my 560 Ti though yes?

#14 Lamp Post

Lamp Post

Neowinian

Posted 03 June 2014 - 13:23

Ok, I decided to go with this guy: http://www.amazon.co...01795465&sr=1-2

Good, bad, a step up from my 560 Ti though yes?

A good step up from a 560 Ti, I'd say.

#15 Astra.Xtreme

Astra.Xtreme

Electrical Engineer

• Tech Issues Solved: 4

Posted 03 June 2014 - 14:03

Technically you won't need a lot of vRAM for any game as long as you aren't running at a resolution over 1080p with AA cranked.

2GB would be perfectly fine especially since you'll be limited by your CPU anyway.

For picking a graphics card, I typically go by this chart and compare performance to your price range:

http://www.videocard...h_end_gpus.html

Personally, I would spend the little extra and get the GTX 760 since it's a bit faster, but I'm also not a fan of AMD cards.