Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Question

Posted

First of all, I want everyone to know that I'm no MS/Apple/Google fan, so I'll never be biased in any way in my opinions. I love to try and test things, from OS'es to smartphones  and tablets and so on...even cars :)

Anyway, up until 2 days ago, I had experienced everything in terms of OS (Windows - every damn version up to 8.1, OSX - Hackintosh, Linux - many distros, finally settled on eOS) and almost everything from the smartphone world. That is, Android and Windows Phone. Never had an Apple product, never thought I would. But I decided to get one, just to be at peace that I tried everything and I can get an honest opinion after.

So I got a 4S for a good deal, with iOS 7.0.6 on it, neverlocked, black, 16GB, etc. The first thing that I wanted to do was to jailbreak it, since I'm addicted to tweaking, rooting, flashing, etc. Like I said in another thread here, it didn't work, because the OS was updated OTA and evasion's tool doesn't work with this. So I've given up and upgraded to 7.1.1, since (hopefully) a jailbreak for this is around the corner.

I'll get right to the pros and cons with iOS and the iPhone, in my opinion:

Pros:

- even at his age, the 4S works beautiful, even with iOS 7 on it. No lag, no delay, nothing.

- the screen

- maybe some would consider it a disadvantage, but for me it's a +: its weight. It feels very solid in my hand, and I prefer that to a plastic phone anyday

- battery - I worked the damn thing for a day and a half, with wi-fi and 3G and some games, calls, sms, etc., and the battery was still at around 13% when I plugged in the charger

- Safari - I can't believe how fast this browser loads pages. Compared to Chrome and other browsers on Android, it's freakin' amazing

Cons:

- HUGE icons for this screen size. I've read that when you jailbreak the iphone, you can resize the damn icons, but why on earth didn't Apple give us the choice by default?!

- ugly address book. Compared to Android, it's like Notepad vs. Word. It's just a list of names. That's it. I know it's all eye-candy, but I would've loved to have it like on Android, with big photos and stuff. I got an app from AppStore, Contacts+, that looks just like I want, but it should've been on default...

- no custom ringtones - this is obvious, and I did managed to get some ringtones on it using iTools, but come on...why restrict this????

- can't change the default web browser - at least I don't know how

- UGLY sms app - again, a list with names. And again, I'm comparing with Android.

- no shortcuts for direct dial/direct sms - I know there's a way, a complicated one, to add contact shortcuts to home screen, but I'll never bother

And that's about it, at least for now. But let me add something: I've noticed this since I've bought my Windows Phone, and the iPhone confirms it - it's a HUGE difference when you build a OS for a handful of hardware configurations as opposed to an open-source OS like Android, with its fragmentation. This device is quite slow by today's standards, yet it performs amazingly with iOS 7 on it. I can't say the same about, for example, Samsung i9000 (Galaxy S), one of my former smartphones with a similar hardware configuration. There's a huge difference.

Also, the apps are different too. I used Top Eleven, for example, a soccer mananger game, on Android, and I installed it on this iPhone too, since it's multiplatform. Big difference! Not the UI, that's almost the same on both platforms, but the performance on iOS is a LOT better than on Android on a similar hardware config.

In the end, like I said, I'm waiting for that jailbreak, so if any of you get some news about it before I do, please post it here. :)

52 answers to this question

Posted

This WORKS. My device is now jailbroken and I've installed some Cydia stuff on it. However, can you guys recommend some tweaks for me, please?

First thing I did was to install a tweak for the icon size. Bigify. It works, but some preview would have been nice. The icons are smaller, but I have a problem: the dock area is now a grey opaque rectangle, bigger than the icons on it. Is there any way to fix that?!

Posted

Well here I am, after a few more months of use, ready to share some more feedback. So:

1. I've noticed something about the cellular signal. In my apartment, the fucking carrier that I'm subscribed to has little to no signal, God knows why. My wife has a Galaxy S and her phone always has more signal than I do on my iPhone. I mean, when I really can't talk to people, because I get disconnected & shit, she can. So I guess the 4s, on the signal part, is poor.

2. I never, NEVER, had any error, random reboot, or whatever, even with this jailbreak thing and will all the shit that I installed on it so far.

3. I am absolutely blown away, seriously, about how this thing works with games. I have graphic intensive games, like Modern Combat 5, that don't lag on this phone at all. It's incredible. One of my friends has Sky Force on his android phone (better specs than my iphone), and it lags when there are many things on the screen. I have the same game and it's butter smooth. So one more + for the iphone.

That's about it, so far. I'm waiting for iOS 8 and we'll see how it behaves then. :)