My 1st experience with an iPhone

• Please log in to reply
51 replies to this topic

#46 Open Minded

Open Minded

Balance

• Tech Issues Solved: 1

Posted 17 June 2014 - 19:07

You rename the .m4a file extension to .m4r and the iPhone will use it as a ringtone :rolleyes:

Question: Will it restore the ringtones you set for your contacts?  About the only backup solution that comes close to iOS through iTunes or iCloud is to use TitaniumBackup and the only way to get that functioning properly (last I used it) is to root your phone.  Changing icons and the names of icons is purely cosmetic... getting hacky with that compared to backing up your device..just not even in the same league to draw a comparison.

iTunes stores backups locally.....

Edit: Oh wait, Nandroid is the "image" backup, right?  Do you have that setup to run everyday or do you have to actively make a backup?  Does it require root access to do any meaningful backup task? My backup happens every night over wifi when i plug my phone into my charger.

I don't have to change any extension to make a sound file play.  That might just be a Samsung thing though as I haven't used other Androids nearly as much as my Captivate or my GS 4.

Yes, Nandroid is an image.  I can install other ROMs and swap between them without the use of a computer.  I backup the image to my computer just in case. 

I have an older version of TWRP (custom recovery, kind of like a BIOS) so I have to backup manually.  I'm not sure if the newer versions do this. 

Sometimes you need root to do this but that depends on the phone.  Normally on phones with an unlocked bootloader you load the recovery before root.  At least that's been my experience.

#47 Shadrack

Shadrack

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 3

Posted 17 June 2014 - 23:18

I don't have to change any extension to make a sound file play.  That might just be a Samsung thing though as I haven't used other Androids nearly as much as my Captivate or my GS 4.

Ok.  You win.  Its easier on Android to use any song file as a ring tone because you don't have to change the file extension so that the phone (and in the case of an iPhone, iTunes) uniquely identifies the file as a ringtone.  But having to change the file extension (which, come on...its pretty dang trivial task) is a far cry from your initial reaction to the subject:

All that for ONE ringtone?  That's a lot of time if you're doing multiple files.

Yes, Nandroid is an image.  I can install other ROMs and swap between them without the use of a computer.  I backup the image to my computer just in case. 

So when you upgrade to a new phone, you just fire up Nandroid and all your settings, apps, files (etc.) are restored from your previous phone, right ?

#48 Open Minded

Open Minded

Balance

• Tech Issues Solved: 1

Posted 17 June 2014 - 23:44

So when you upgrade to a new phone, you just fire up Nandroid and all your settings, apps, files (etc.) are restored from your previous phone, right ?

No. A Nandroid image is just like taking a image of your hard drive in your computer.  It will only work with a device of the exact same specs so pretty much the same phone in this case.  When you do restore from that image, everything is exactly the same as it was.  Everything. 

As far as buying a new phone, some prefer to transfer their contacts/phone data to Google and have them place the contacts in the list when you first sign in to the Play Store.  I do not.  I backup my contacts to my SIM card and also to the contact backup (can't remember the file extension off-hand) then copy that file to my computer in case I lost my phone.  How you go about backups with Android really depends on what phone you have and what you prefer, as I can do a Samsung backup/restore as well.  Do you want to go the cloud route or do everything locally?  I choose local.  Keep in mind that's just the way I like to do things and I do see the ease in Apple's approach no doubt.

Edit:  There's also apps that backup your text message history as well.  I choose not to use that.  Again, personal preference.

#49 ndoggfromhell

ndoggfromhell

Master of the 6th Speed

Posted 18 June 2014 - 03:25

All that for ONE ringtone?  That's a lot of time if you're doing multiple files.

I just plug the phone into my computer via USB and copy/paste the file I want to use into the ringtones folder.  Same for notifications.  Takes about 5 seconds a song at most.

Well the time consuming part is actually clipping the part of the song I want as a ringtone... a step you seem to be skipping.  The rest is maybe 10 whole seconds... which isn't painful.  during my painful days of using android I would use an app called "ring droid" that did decent making ringtone/notifcations/alarms. 

#50 OP TDT

TDT

Firestarter

• Tech Issues Solved: 2

Posted 20 June 2014 - 00:05

So IT IS possible. Looks like a 7.1.1 jailbreak would not be the only option.

#51 OP TDT

TDT

Firestarter

Posted 23 June 2014 - 20:55

Here we go! :D http://lifehacker.co...ased-1594866825

#52 OP TDT

TDT

Firestarter

Posted 23 June 2014 - 23:04

This WORKS. My device is now jailbroken and I've installed some Cydia stuff on it. However, can you guys recommend some tweaks for me, please?

First thing I did was to install a tweak for the icon size. Bigify. It works, but some preview would have been nice. The icons are smaller, but I have a problem: the dock area is now a grey opaque rectangle, bigger than the icons on it. Is there any way to fix that?!