• Tech Issues Solved: 64

Posted 04 June 2014 - 10:53

yay for inaccurate click baity titles /s

#17 Clirion

Clirion

Neowinian

• Tech Issues Solved: 1

Posted 04 June 2014 - 11:01

I knew there was going to be a thread I could say this in.

"Apple Start your Photocopiers!"

For those that may not know what it is in reference to:

140530_redmond_photocopiers.jpg

#18 Axel

Axel

--[Est. 1986]--

Posted 04 June 2014 - 14:33

That's not an excuse. Killing a baby wouldn't suddenly be acceptable if the law against it was abolished. What Apple is doing is wrong, regardless of whether the system accommodates it. The reason the system is such a mess is because of companies like Apple abusing it.

For a start, that analogy is literally terrible.

Secondly.  If the system allows other companies to go after the likes of Apple or Samsung, then they're not just going to sit back and let it happen.  They're going to take the same approach towards other companies, that other companies can towards them.  It's do or die.

Assuming they took the moral high ground as you suggest, they allow themselves to get walked over.  Shareholders aint gonna be happy.

#19 theyarecomingforyou

theyarecomingforyou

Tiger Trainer

• Phone: Galaxy Note 3 with Galaxy Gear

Posted 04 June 2014 - 14:55

Secondly.  If the system allows other companies to go after the likes of Apple or Samsung, then they're not just going to sit back and let it happen.  They're going to take the same approach towards other companies, that other companies can towards them.  It's do or die.

Assuming they took the moral high ground as you suggest, they allow themselves to get walked over.  Shareholders aint gonna be happy.

That mentality is exactly why modern society is in such a terrible state. If it will make money then companies will do it, however unsavoury. We've seen drug companies going abroad and running ridiculous experiment on poor communities to avoid regulations; we've seen companies pollute the environment because the regulatory fines are cheaper than disposing of hazardous substances safely; we've seen companies manufacturing food products with pink slime simply because it's cheaper than proper meat; we've seen agrotech companies sue small farmers out of existence when their GMOs contaminate neighbouring fields.

The reason the patent system is such a mess is because of companies like Apple. They sue anyone they can and set ridiculous precedents, which then emboldens them to go further. I couldn't care less whether shareholders are happy - businesses should be expected to behave ethically. Apple has fallen short of that mark.

#20 Bertch

Bertch

Neowinian

Posted 04 June 2014 - 15:06

yay for inaccurate click baity titles /s

Yea, I thought those were only for the front page :p

I kid, I love Neowin! :hug:

#21 Draconian Guppy

Draconian Guppy

LippyZillaD Council

• Tech Issues Solved: 2

Posted 04 June 2014 - 15:10

Oh, look, another article that cannot grasp the fact that there are not out-of-thin-air advancements in technological industry but instead we have procedural implementations, some dating back to mechanical and analogical principles made in the 19th century.

Everyone "steals", ergo no one "steals".

Signed: An Android user.

Agreed,

Everything has existed before and after so many things, I could say Google (Android) copied keyboard layout from Nokias symbian phones or even older.

It's a vicious circle and people have to let go of it: "Y copies X"  "X copies Y"  " Z copies Y" "W copies Z"  and so on and so forth.

#22 shozilla

shozilla

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 6

Posted 04 June 2014 - 15:22

As I said before: No one is original these days.

You can see similar things around you...  For example, houses, cars, tools, etc.

To me: Not making sense because no one is complaining about similar houses, similar cars, etc

only complaining about the phones/tablets..

You can NOT do something about it...  That's the way they do their product as the way they want.

People choose a product based on the features available to them and how the product look such as look and feel.  Size, materials, glass type, etc.

People who complain about the phones/tablets are weirdos.

Don't forget there are many types/size of people on the earth...  that whether they like the product or not..     For example, tall person won't fit in small car... saying "it's too small for me"  that's the reason company B makes big car or truck for tall people. Then company A follow company B for bigger sizes in order to keep the customers.

#23 Draconian Guppy

Draconian Guppy

LippyZillaD Council

• Tech Issues Solved: 2

Posted 04 June 2014 - 15:24

As I said before: No one is original these days.

You can see similar things around you...  For example, houses, cars, tools, etc.

To me: Not making sense because no one is complaining about similar houses, similar cars, etc

only complaining about the phones/tablets..

You can NOT do something about it...  That's the way they do their product as the way they want.

People choose a product based on the features available to them and how the product look such as look and feel.  Size, materials, glass type, etc.

People who complain about the phones/tablets are weirdos.

Don't forget there are many types/size of people on the earth...  that whether they like the product or not..     For example, tall person won't fit in small car... saying "it's too small for me"  that's the reason company B makes big car or truck for tall people. Then company A follow company B for bigger sizes in order to keep the customers.

Very well put! I think the main reason people complain a lot of technology is the accesability of it.

#24 Bonfire

Bonfire

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 1
  • Phone: Rotary Dial

Posted 04 June 2014 - 15:35

Someone is really grasping at straws here. Those screenshot comparisons looked nothing alike.

#25 Michael Scrip

Michael Scrip

Neowinian

Posted 04 June 2014 - 15:40

The issue isn't that Apple is lifting ideas from Android, it's that Apple sues companies at the drop of the hat for violating its absurdly generic patents and tries to block competitor's products from sale. It's completely hypocritical and anti-competitive.

Yes... but Apple HAS those patents.  Every time Apple takes someone to court... they bring those documents.  

Anybody can patent anything.  But like someone said earlier... it's whoever gets to the patent office first.  Yeah it sucks... but that's how the rules are today.

Maybe someone else could have patented "rubberbanding" or any of the other things that seem obvious... but they didn't.

#26 styxrtp

styxrtp

Neowinian

• Phone: iPhone 5S w/iOS 7.1.1

Posted 04 June 2014 - 15:49

The funny thing is that Windows Mobile had predictive text way before Android did -- T9 anyone?

And allowing 3rd party keyboards has also been something that WinMo has allowed before Android.  It just depended on the manufacturer of the phone.  So can we just stop with the who copied who here?

The only thing that I'm seeing that under new management, Tim Cook (and company) are finally opening up the potential of iOS that was locked up under Jobs.

#27 Axel

Axel

--[Est. 1986]--

Posted 04 June 2014 - 17:05

That mentality is exactly why modern society is in such a terrible state. If it will make money then companies will do it, however unsavoury. We've seen drug companies going abroad and running ridiculous experiment on poor communities to avoid regulations; we've seen companies pollute the environment because the regulatory fines are cheaper than disposing of hazardous substances safely; we've seen companies manufacturing food products with pink slime simply because it's cheaper than proper meat; we've seen agrotech companies sue small farmers out of existence when their GMOs contaminate neighbouring fields.

The reason the patent system is such a mess is because of companies like Apple. They sue anyone they can and set ridiculous precedents, which then emboldens them to go further. I couldn't care less whether shareholders are happy - businesses should be expected to behave ethically. Apple has fallen short of that mark.

Not to take sides, but they all do it, not just Apple.  The Apple vs Samsung saga just brought them both to the forefront of the media.  Think about whats going on behind closed doors and what been going on years that we don't know about.

Ultimately, you're measuring others by your own personal standards, rather than viewing companies as cold hard money making machines that they are.  They NEED to be regulated more tightly or they're going to do what they can get away with.  If other companies can take pot shots, then they can too.

I completely agree with what you're saying and in a perfect world it would be great.  It's unfortunately not a perfect world and if the likes of Apple decide to behave like honourable beings, they're effectively dropping their shields and saying "shoot me".  What the industry needs is specific regulations to protect them all from each other.