replace a T440p with?

If you had a T440p with the specs in my sig, which laptop would you go for considering something thinner and lighter? Not necessarliy a lenovo, open to other (reliable) options.

surface pro 3

lenovo x1 carbon

acer s7

You are looking at 1500+ for an i7 in a ultrabook or tablet which will be lighter and thinner.  If you want an i5 you can get one in that price range.

surface pro 3

lenovo x1 carbon

acer s7

You are looking at 1500+ for an i7 in a ultrabook or tablet which will be lighter and thinner.  If you want an i5 you can get one in that price range.

an i5 with 8gb (perhaps expandable) ram would be ideal.

It won't be the thinnest or lightest available but this is worth taking a look at, and it is a bit bigger than you want.  All I can see in your size is 1200 plus with 8gb of ram. 

http://www.amazon.com/Lenovo-IdeaPad-15-6-Inch-Touchscreen-59391566/dp/B00F0RC6C8/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1402017022&sr=8-1&keywords=ideapad+flex14

Don't even consider anything from Lenovo that's not a Thinkpad. The quality is ######, and even the Thinkpads aren't that great these days.

I have one to configure switches with. I would rather have a x1 but it is fine. A bit bulky and not as sleek or as small as my x1 or my s7, but not bad. Good for a 1200 or less budget.

You are not going to much performance improvement over your current spec so why replace it? For a thinner/smaller laptop? The Dell XPS 13 and 15 are pretty nice ultrabooks. Decent build quality, solid keyboard, decent (for Windows anyway) trackpad, nice screen, decent battery life.

Don't even consider anything from Lenovo that's not a Thinkpad. The quality is ######, and even the Thinkpads aren't that great these days.

IMO,

I will NEVER consider anything from Lenovo again! Just don't think they run as good as they should even with good specs!

I have a Toshiba laptop with a lousy single core 1.6ghz processor and 2GB memory that blows away this Thinkpad I'm on now with a dual core 2ghz processor and 4GB memory. Not even a comparison. My 2 HP laptops with almost similar specs as the Lenovo, is no comparison either.

I'll take just about any other laptop over a Lenovo any day of the week, especially if I had to pay for them. I didn't have to pay a thing for any of the 4 laptops I have, except to upgrade memory.

I realize I'm talking an older Lenovo than what OP has, but my opinion of Lenovo is still the same.

Ahh, guess you're really thinking about it now?

I'm still loving my Thinkpad T440s so i'd suggest that as an option. Pretty sweet and "fast" for my usage so i'd so go with that based on what you mentioned before.

The next option for me would be HP EliteBooks  or ProBooks or maybe an Asus device.

I'm still loving my Thinkpad T440s so i'd suggest that as an option. Pretty sweet and "fast" for my usage so i'd so go with that based on what you mentioned before.

The next option for me would be HP EliteBooks  or ProBooks or maybe an Asus device.

I can potentially trade it with a carbon x1. What do you guys think?

Why are you looking to upgrade?

If it is simply for lighter and thinner, well then it would be a good reason.

I don't know the specs of the x1 you maybe trading for so I don't know if it would be faster or better.

Why are you looking to upgrade?

If it is simply for lighter and thinner, well then it would be a good reason.

I don't know the specs of the x1 you maybe trading for so I don't know if it would be faster or better.

I'm not that really impressed with the specs, specially the screen.

Processor Intel Core i5-3427U Processor (3M Cache, up to 2.80 GHz)

Operating System Windows 7 Professional (64 bit)

Operating System Language Windows 7 Professional 64 - English

Display Type 14.0" Premium HD+ (1600x900) LED Backlit Display, 720p HD Camera, No WWAN

System Graphics Intel? HD Graphics 4000

Base Intel HD Graphics 4000

Total Memory 8 GB PC3-10600 DDR3L SDRAM 1333MHz SODIMM Memory (1 DIMM)

Keyboard Keyboard (Backlit) US English

Pointing Device TrackPoint with Fingerprint Reader and Clickpad - Type US

Camera 720p HD Camera

Hard Drive 128GB Solid State Drive, SATA3

Integrated Battery Battery

Hmmm. seems you have had bad experiences with it. In my case is the contrary. I have a Y510p from 8 months ago, and I have found that the build quality is pretty high (except for the crappy trackpad). It's comfortable, very sturdy, and I found it to be a bargain. 

BTW, if you're planning to ditch the T440, go for ASUS. They're right now, one of the best PC manufacturers that can offer you quality + price altogether. 

Oh that's the older carbon which isn't too bad either. I was thinking the screen would be a step down since you have FHD now instead of HD+.

The issue with the older carbons are nice little mobile book but not perfect. The newer ones are better (except the keyboard (:x) ) I think a Core I5 Ivy Bridge should be enough for what you are doing and you can always bump that SSD up to higher.

Since you mentioned (in PM) that you don't need dedicated graphics or quad-core then I see no major benefit in having the P version if you want something lighter. That X1 might be just fine too. Can you use it for a bit to get a feel of performance?

Any business class machine will do just fine. I used the HP ProBooks recently and they're nice, and I really like Dell's business lines.

Hmmm. seems you have had bad experiences with it. In my case is the contrary. I have a Y510p from 8 months ago, and I have found that the build quality is pretty high (except for the crappy trackpad). It's comfortable, very sturdy, and I found it to be a bargain. 

BTW, if you're planning to ditch the T440, go for ASUS. They're right now, one of the best PC manufacturers that can offer you quality + price altogether. 

No bad experience, just know the history of Lenovo and how they evolved, and it doesn't give me any confidence.

Another point re. the new vs. old carbons. The old carbons have a really crappy TN screen whereas the new ones you can get FHD and higher IPS screens.

Another point re. the new vs. old carbons. The old carbons have a really crappy TN screen whereas the new ones you can get FHD and higher IPS screens.

Ah, thanks for pointing this out. After experiencing an FHD going lower might be hard (slightly). I'm currently using my T420 and it's fine, but not as crisp as I'd like. :p

I started using OSX on vm and it's quite nice to play around with, not sure if it should be main stream.

@trek: recommend a macbook? :p