OS X 10.10 Yosemite Findings - Tips

not sure if i will update my hackintoshes to 10.10 anytime soon... seems very very very "childish"for me just as ios8, just my opinion anyway.. OSX always had a professional look for me but not anymore.. and wtf is this dock background, cmon! maybe the dark mode will save us all

Sounds like a lot of the complaints about ModernUI or iOS 7 - aesthetics, not function.  (While more true of iOS 7's complaints as opposed to ModernUI's complaints - that IS one common thread across the two OSes' complaint files.)

However, Yosemite DP1 has replaced Mavericks in the third spot in the rotation - flatness and all.

And, so far, everything works as it should.

I didn't change any hardware despite the software change - and everything still works as well as it did in Mavericks - if not better.

Remember - at the end of the day, what matters is that the OS do what you need it to.

I think the last time I complained about transparency in the operating system was the very first releases of Mac OS X. From Cheetah through Jaguar, I felt it was very overdone, very flashy and brought nothing to the table. But in Yosemite, the transparency is done far better. It's much more toned down than it was in the past, and it follows the same "ordering" principles as in iOS 7, where it's used to illustrate that your content is directly below. It's gimmicky and unnecessary, but I don't find it overly distracting like I did in the earliest OS X releases.

So, how stable is it?

Seems very stable to me. The only real issue I've had is Mail crashes on me quite often. Other than that, I don't think anything else has had an issue. *Yet.*

So, how stable is it?

Something I'm running is causing me to get thrown out to the login screen a lot, I've had a couple of kernel panics from general use (seems to be most often be related to the nVidia driver), and it kernel panics every time I unplug my Xbox 360 controller. I get occasional graphics corruption when using screen zoom and had to disable the graphics switching because the (for lack of a better term) frame rate of everything (including the mouse movements) dropped to unusable levels when using the screen zoom (which is a problem as I can't use the computer without it) when it was using the Intel graphics.

Software wise, Chrome is totally broken, Xcode (v5) crashes whenever I use certain Interface Builder tools, Airmail constantly uses high CPU (to the point that the computer gets really hot) and I've seen a hand full of other programs where some controls don't position themselves quite right.

So, how stable is it?

I did an upgrade and heaps of extensions were not responding and CPU was maxing, so I'd recommend a clean install if you're going to test.

Something I'm running is causing me to get thrown out to the login screen a lot, I've had a couple of kernel panics from general use (seems to be most often be related to the nVidia driver), and it kernel panics every time I unplug my Xbox 360 controller. I get occasional graphics corruption when using screen zoom and had to disable the graphics switching because the (for lack of a better term) frame rate of everything (including the mouse movements) dropped to unusable levels when using the screen zoom (which is a problem as I can't use the computer without it) when it was using the Intel graphics.

Software wise, Chrome is totally broken, Xcode (v5) crashes whenever I use certain Interface Builder tools, Airmail constantly uses high CPU (to the point that the computer gets really hot) and I've seen a hand full of other programs where some controls don't position themselves quite right.

Some software that is based on Webkit (the OS X Origin client) does NOT like what Apple has done with Webkit - not only did the Origin client bork-up, it borked Safari as well.  (Oddly enough, Office:mac works just fine.)  However, so far, that is the ONLY breakage I have to report.

The issues you are having with Chrome (which, if I'm not mistaken, is ALSO WebKit based) are likely traceable to the same cause.  Surprisingly, Safari's improvements may well have me keeping it as default - with Mavericks and earlier, my OS X default was Firefox.  The WebKit issues remind me rather disturbingly of issues with previous versions of Internet Explorer based application containers whenever IE was changed massively - going all the way back to "Nashville" or even IE 4's alphas and betas.  (Assumption remains the mother of all muckups.)

I did an upgrade and heaps of extensions were not responding and CPU was maxing, so I'd recommend a clean install if you're going to test.

I NEVER (as in ever) upgrade an existing OS or distribution with a beta or alpha bare-metal, or at all unless such a setup is specifically requested to be tested (and even then, I prefer using a virtual machine for such testing).  That's not unique to OS X; that applies to any OS or distribution (of Linux or BSD) - yes; that includes Windows.

Can't say I've had any problems with Safari. Chrome has never used the OSX WebKit framework, and as of Chrome v28 it uses it's own engine (Blink, itself forked from WebKit).

I NEVER (as in ever) upgrade an existing OS or distribution with a beta or alpha bare-metal, or at all unless such a setup is specifically requested to be tested (and even then, I prefer using a virtual machine for such testing).  That's not unique to OS X; that applies to any OS or distribution (of Linux or BSD) - yes; that includes Windows.

Cool story... While we're telling stories, I've ALWAYS upgraded and never clean installed from ages and ages ago, I have only had 1 issue and it's that wireless shows ! even when connected without issues.... Which I don't have a problem with....

Cool story... While we're telling stories, I've ALWAYS upgraded and never clean installed from ages and ages ago, I have only had 1 issue and it's that wireless shows ! even when connected without issues.... Which I don't have a problem with....

Same here with upgrading OS X its a breeze. OS X upgrades actually do an amazing job and clean up really really well.

IMO about the dock on Yosemite they should of kept the dock as it was on Mavericks and just introduce flat icons, would of looked fine :/

• Like 1

Same here with upgrading OS X its a breeze. OS X upgrades actually do an amazing job and clean up really really well.

IMO about the dock on Yosemite they should of kept the dock as it was on Mavericks and just introduce flat icons, would of looked fine :/

I took a look at Dock.app and noticed it uses many PNG files. If I replaced those with the ones from Mavs, would it bring back the Mavs-style Dock?

I took a look at Dock.app and noticed it uses many PNG files. If I replaced those with the ones from Mavs, would it bring back the Mavs-style Dock?

No idea, if that's how it works then I don't see why not, but you may have an issue replacing Dock.app itself might need to do a few sudo commands.