Thank you so much....LOL...

Chrome is giving me a hard time right now with the embed

#4 George P

George P

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 1
  • Phone: HTC Windows Phone 8X

Posted 04 June 2014 - 16:40

I posted about this in the June update thread.  Interesting news all around.

#5 OP Showan

Showan

Neowinian Senior

• Phone: Lumia 521

Posted 04 June 2014 - 16:42

I posted about this in the June update thread.  Interesting news all around.

I really hope that Kinect doesn't take a performance hit.  Yes I'm the only person on Earth who enjoys their Kinect.

#6 George P

George P

Neowinian Senior

Posted 04 June 2014 - 16:47

I really hope that Kinect doesn't take a performance hit.  Yes I'm the only person on Earth who enjoys their Kinect.

I don't think it will, I expect there's still enough left to run the voice controls, which don't take up as much as the camera tracking does I'm sure.  So that rumored 10% reserved figure could have been cut down to 5% or as low as 2% just for voice and a little video.  We don't know how they did it, it could also be that they just updated the SDK to the point that it takes better advantage of the 32MB ESRAM that developers have had to manually manage for now?   Either way it should be interesting to see how this works out going forward.

#7 OP Showan

Showan

Neowinian Senior

• Phone: Lumia 521

Posted 04 June 2014 - 16:56

I don't think it will, I expect there's still enough left to run the voice controls, which don't take up as much as the camera tracking does I'm sure.  So that rumored 10% reserved figure could have been cut down to 5% or as low as 2% just for voice and a little video.  We don't know how they did it, it could also be that they just updated the SDK to the point that it takes better advantage of the 32MB ESRAM that developers have had to manually manage for now?   Either way it should be interesting to see how this works out going forward.

That makes sense.  

#8 Alladaskill17

Alladaskill17

Neowinian Senior

Posted 04 June 2014 - 18:17

Woohoo!!

#9 Audioboxer

Audioboxer

Hermit Arcana

Posted 04 June 2014 - 20:02

Hopefully be the end of 792p, 900p minimum now?

#10 Andrew G.

Andrew G.

Once More 'Round the Sun

• Tech Issues Solved: 9

Posted 04 June 2014 - 21:39

Let's hope it makes an impact. Would be nice if current releases got an update to make use of it too :yes: This along with the net patch for BF4 might actually convince me to pick it back up. We shall see...

#11 Andrew G.

Andrew G.

Once More 'Round the Sun

• Tech Issues Solved: 9

Posted 05 June 2014 - 14:22

Sounds like MS had to choose between Kinect and 10% resources rather kinect / sales

By Jeffrey Matulef Published Wednesday, 4 June 2014

UPDATE 10.25pm: Microsoft has confirmed that this boost in performance is in fact due to Kinect being stripped from the package. When asked if the two were related, a Microsoft spokesperson sent Eurogamer the following response:

"Yes, the additional resources allow access to up to 10 per cent additional GPU performance. We're committed to giving developers new tools and flexibility to make their Xbox One games even better by giving them the option to use the GPU reserve in whatever way is best for them and their games."

And will this mean more games will hit the 1080p 60fps benchmark that's all the rage these days, I asked?

"Xbox One games look beautiful and have rich gameplay and platform features. How developers choose to access the extra GPU performance for their games will be up to them. We have started working with a number of developers on how they can best take advantage of these changes. We will have more to share in the future."

Microsoft also offered the following statement on the dev kit update in general:

“Just as we're committed to making ongoing system updates for our fans to enjoy new features of Xbox One, we're also committed to giving developers new tools and flexibility to make their Xbox One games even better. In June we're releasing a new SDK making it possible for developers to access additional GPU resources previously reserved for Kinect and system functions. The team is continually calibrating the system to determine how we can give developers more capabilities. With this SDK, we will include new options for how developers can use the system reserve as well as more flexibility in our natural user interface reserve (voice and gesture). We'll continue to work closely with developers to help them bring great games to Xbox One.”

ORIGINAL STORY 9.21pm: Xbox One dev kits are receiving an increase in GPU bandwidth this month, announced head of Xbox Phil Spencer today on Twitter.

"June #XboxOne software dev kit gives devs access to more GPU bandwidth. More performance, new tools and flexibility to make games better," the Microsoft exec wrote.

Could this new potential have anything to do with the console no longer being tethered to Kinect all the time? Also, will it mean more games will hit the 1080p 60fps benchmark that's all the rage these days? We've asked Microsoft to clarify what sorts of performance boosts we can expect from this and will update as we find out more.

http://www.eurogamer...e-gpu-bandwidth

Think that puts into perspective how important "resolutiongate" is to them.

#12 spenser.d

spenser.d

Neowinian Senior

Posted 05 June 2014 - 14:52

Sounds like MS had to choose between Kinect and 10% resources rather kinect / sales

Obviously it was going to be important - numbers make easy cannon fodder, even they don't actually make much of a difference.

As long as I can still say "Xbox Watch TV" after I'm done gaming and it works I'm okay with this (or "Xbox Unsnap" when I accidentally hit LT in a TItanfall lobby...) :p

#13 dipsylalapo

dipsylalapo

Neowinian

• Phone: iPhone 5

Posted 05 June 2014 - 14:56

As long as I can still say "Xbox Watch TV" after I'm done gaming and it works I'm okay with this (or "Xbox Unsnap" when I accidentally hit LT in a TItanfall lobby...) :p

Ha, glad I'm not the only one that does that ;)

#14 vcfan

vcfan

POP POP RET

• Tech Issues Solved: 3

Posted 05 June 2014 - 15:03

actually, it sounds to me like its something they said they were going to do back in october of last year

"The current reservation provides strong isolation between the title and the system and simplifies game development - strong isolation means that the system workloads, which are variable, won't perturb the performance of the game rendering. In the future, we plan to open up more options to developers to access this GPU reservation time while maintaining full system functionality."

http://www.eurogamer...-one-developers

#15 George P

George P

Neowinian Senior

Posted 05 June 2014 - 16:46

They did say they were going to open it up more, this isn't unexpected, the only thing here is how and how much.  There's no way they completely got rid of any type of reserve just because a user might not have the Kinect at all, that would break things, and the reserve IMO, isn't just for Kinect, it's for smooth app switching and snapping of apps and so on.

I think the SDK update is a combination of a reduction in reserve, improved drivers, and optimized tools to better take advantage of the hardware to begin with.    If people think unplugging your Kinect will now somehow give you a automatic performance boost in games then I think they're wrong.