• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 +InsaneNutter

InsaneNutter

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 4
  • Phone: OnePlus One

Posted 04 June 2014 - 22:01

When i got my Xbox One i was impressed with the download speeds on the launch weekend, i managed to download all 30gb+ of Forza 5 in less than an hour, great! especially considering i thought the servers would be getting hammered that weekend.

However since then i have noticed download speeds have got gradually worse as the months have progressed, this has become more of a problem with games having mandatory 2-7gb+ patches. The other day it took me a good 2 hours to download a mandatory 2gb update...

Tonight my console has been downloading a game, the average speed has been around 8mbps... that's been generous to Xbox Live as i'm taking that average from the total of all internet traffic going through my router:

122z43r.jpg

I'm pretty confident its not my internet connection at fault here, given i can pretty much max the connection out on speedtest.net, downloading from Steam or from downloading backups from my webserver:

2en7qkx.jpg

I'm wondering if its just me, or are downloads from Xbox Live generally slow for everyone?

I always found downloads on the Xbox 360 to be quite slow too, however as your average game patch would almost fit on a floppy disk and were not the size of a dual layer DVD (Wolfenstein, cough) it was never really much of an issue most of the time.

#2 Andrew

Andrew

Once More 'Round the Sun

• Tech Issues Solved: 9

Posted 04 June 2014 - 22:05

I've noticed the speed drop too, specifically downloading the preview updates. Was much faster at the start of the year, so maybe it's just the increase of activity caused by recent buyers.

Hopefully they're aware and working on it before the next huge influx in Q3/4.

#3 neoadorable

neoadorable

Neowinian Senior

Posted 05 June 2014 - 02:05

It's not you Insane, if other applications are fine, then it's most likely XBL/MS. It comes and goes, sometimes downloads are crazy fast, sometimes slow...freebie Max which is like 3GB downloaded in under ten minutes, but Nutsjitsu took 30 minutes if i remember correctly, and that's just 300MB. And Dead Rising 3 was an overnighter, probably took 3-4 hours, i don't know cause didn't stick around to wait.

So it really fluctuates, not your connection or even console, for sure.

#4 DoDonpachi

DoDonpachi

Neowinian

Posted 05 June 2014 - 06:37

I have no idea what speed my downloads actually go at, all i know is anything involving Xbox Live is slow! Call of Duty Ghosts took all day and half the night to download, then a random 2gb patch released later for it took a good two hours of my evening to download too. This is on a 60mbps connection

I've noticed uploading to OneDrive from the GameDVR is very slow too, for me the speed on screen averages about 2mbps, yet i know full well i have a 15mbps upload and can easily max that out uploading just about anywhere else.

Same with copying the clip out of my OneDrive to edit, download speeds are 1-2mbps, really do wish I could just access the console in network places and copy clips off it!

#5 neoadorable

neoadorable

Neowinian Senior

Posted 06 June 2014 - 02:17

I have no idea what speed my downloads actually go at, all i know is anything involving Xbox Live is slow! Call of Duty Ghosts took all day and half the night to download, then a random 2gb patch released later for it took a good two hours of my evening to download too. This is on a 60mbps connection

I've noticed uploading to OneDrive from the GameDVR is very slow too, for me the speed on screen averages about 2mbps, yet i know full well i have a 15mbps upload and can easily max that out uploading just about anywhere else.

Same with copying the clip out of my OneDrive to edit, download speeds are 1-2mbps, really do wish I could just access the console in network places and copy clips off it!

This is wireless I assume? Most likely times XBL was congested, unless you're always getting these speeds. No way your 60Mbps connection will get 2Mbps on an Xbox, should be at least 25Mbps via Wi-Fi. It says you have open NAT, right?

#6 The_Decryptor

The_Decryptor

STEAL THE DECLARATION OF INDEPENDENCE

• Tech Issues Solved: 5

Posted 06 June 2014 - 02:37

What DNS server are you using? XBL uses geolocation to select a CDN so if the DNS server is in the wrong location you'll get put onto the wrong CDN.

#7 winrez

winrez

Chronic Master Debater

• Tech Issues Solved: 1
  • OS: Windows 7 Enterprise 64-Bit, Windows 8 64-Bit, Windows RT 8.1 (Surface)
  • Phone: Samsung Focus WP7.8/ Nokia Lumina 520

Posted 06 June 2014 - 03:05

it could be due to ISP's starting to throttle Microsoft's XBOX servers as well.

#8 GotBored

GotBored

Brain Trust

• Tech Issues Solved: 3
  • Phone: iPhone 5

Posted 06 June 2014 - 12:36

it could be due to ISP's starting to throttle Microsoft's XBOX servers as well.

Why would they do that?

#9 trooper11

trooper11

Neowinian Senior

Posted 06 June 2014 - 13:55

I haven't noticed slower speeds, but then again, my speeds are not as fast as most of you guys posting here. I know when I upload a game clip it maxes out my upload speed.

#10 dipsylalapo

dipsylalapo

Neowinian

• Phone: iPhone 5

Posted 06 June 2014 - 13:59

I had issues downloading the June update a few days ago. The first gigabyte or so looked like it was maxing out my connection but then when it had around 400mb left it dropped significantly and was downloading around a megabyte ever 30/40 secs. Haven't downloaded anything since so not sure if it was a one off.

#11 Andrew

Andrew

Once More 'Round the Sun

Posted 07 June 2014 - 00:55

These speeds really are a joke. Updating to June's dashboard and it's only half way in 20mins. For whatever reason it nose dived and got stuck in the mid-50% area.

All for 200 MB+ :no:

Edit:

It took 10% almost 15 minutes to progress, and the next 10% mere seconds. Sort it out MS

#12 neoadorable

neoadorable

Neowinian Senior

Posted 07 June 2014 - 06:56

These are all due to server-side issues, nothing on your consoles or ISP side. MS Azure is overloaded, this has to be the explanation. ITunes downloads a 6GB movie in 20-30 minutes and averages 30Mbps for me on Wi-Fi, XBL varies much more based on file type. I think they are still quite prone to congestion/load, though speeds overall are vastly improved over what we got with 360. Generally stuff downloads quickly, and the standby mode is very effective.

These speeds really are a joke. Updating to June's dashboard and it's only half way in 20mins. For whatever reason it nose dived and got stuck in the mid-50% area.

All for 200 MB+ :no:

Edit:

It took 10% almost 15 minutes to progress, and the next 10% mere seconds. Sort it out MS

Next time just put her in standby and go do something else, or let it get done overnight. Don't stress over it by sitting there watching the progress bar.

#13 articuno1au

articuno1au

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 2

Posted 07 June 2014 - 07:06

I second the DNS question.

I'm fully saturating my 120mbps line whenever I download anything from the live service.

Sounds like there is something specific to your region/area/ISP.

#14 Andrew

Andrew

Once More 'Round the Sun

Posted 07 June 2014 - 10:51

These are all due to server-side issues, nothing on your consoles or ISP side. MS Azure is overloaded, this has to be the explanation. ITunes downloads a 6GB movie in 20-30 minutes and averages 30Mbps for me on Wi-Fi, XBL varies much more based on file type. I think they are still quite prone to congestion/load, though speeds overall are vastly improved over what we got with 360. Generally stuff downloads quickly, and the standby mode is very effective.

Next time just put her in standby and go do something else, or let it get done overnight. Don't stress over it by sitting there watching the progress bar.

I don't use standby mode (nor want to).

I second the DNS question.

I'm fully saturating my 120mbps line whenever I download anything from the live service.

Sounds like there is something specific to your region/area/ISP.

Not in my case.

After I updated my X1 I updated my Wii U and PS4 without issue.

#15 trooper11

trooper11

Neowinian Senior

Posted 07 June 2014 - 15:24

The June update went through very quickly for me, so at least so far I have not be hit by the slow bug.

Either its a region specific issue, or the Azure servers are heavily loaded and the load balancing system is causing some regions/users to experience slow downs.

Someone needs to do an extended study of this. I would hazard a guess that if you repeated say the June update at a later time, it would go much quicker for those having issues now.