I don't use standby mode (nor want to).

May I ask why? The power consumption?

#17 articuno1au

articuno1au

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 2

Posted 08 June 2014 - 07:52

Not in my case.

After I updated my X1 I updated my Wii U and PS4 without issue.

As someone else posted earlier, the Xbox Live services servers use Geo-location to decide where to get your data from. This obviously has no effect on Nintendo and PlayStation servers and thus could explain the issue you are facing.

I'm not saying that this is definitely the issue you are facing, merely that you should look into it..

Set your Xbox's DNS settings to 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 and run a test. This will likely put your accessed servers further away from you, but will definitely run them across a different route.

#18 Vandalsquad

Vandalsquad

Neowinian

Posted 08 June 2014 - 08:58

Why would they do that?

The same reason they throttle netflix in the states. They have the legal ability to be able to now..

No slow downs in Australia on my box.

#19 OP +InsaneNutter

InsaneNutter

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 3
  • Phone: OnePlus One

Posted 08 June 2014 - 09:03

May I ask why? The power consumption?

I personally only use my Xbox One on weekends, it's very rare I get chance to play on it during the week so i disabled the always on features. I think sitting there drawing over 15w of energy doing absolutely nothing most of the time is a bit extreme. Although you are right in saying this wouldn't even be an issue if i did use it. Getting a bit off topic, however you might find this an interesting read, it certainly surprised me: 40 percent of PS4, Wii U, Xbox One power usage comes in standby mode.

As someone else posted earlier, the Xbox Live services servers use Geo-location to decide where to get your data from. This obviously has no effect on Nintendo and PlayStation servers and thus could explain the issue you are facing.

I'm not saying that this is definitely the issue you are facing, merely that you should look into it..

Set your Xbox's DNS settings to 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 and run a test. This will likely put your accessed servers further away from you, but will definitely run them across a different route.

Google's DNS servers are set-up up on my router so the Xbox One will be using them, i might try manually setting my ISP's DNS servers on the console to see if it makes any difference. Do we actually know for use its based on the DNS servers location? i would have thought the users public IP would have been more accurate as it could usually track the person down to the town / city they live in.

These speeds really are a joke. Updating to June's dashboard and it's only half way in 20mins. For whatever reason it nose dived and got stuck in the mid-50% area.

All for 200 MB+ :no:

Out of curiosity as your in the UK who is your ISP? I'm with Virgin Media.

#20 The_Decryptor

The_Decryptor

STEAL THE DECLARATION OF INDEPENDENCE

• Tech Issues Solved: 4

Posted 08 June 2014 - 10:54

Google's DNS servers are set-up up on my router so the Xbox One will be using them, i might try manually setting my ISP's DNS servers on the console to see if it makes any difference. Do we actually know for use its based on the DNS servers location? i would have thought the users public IP would have been more accurate as it could usually track the person down to the town / city they live in.

DNS based geolocation is more efficient, instead of contacting a single server and it bouncing you off, your local DNS server sends you to the local CDN, meaning you never have to contact a server you don't download from.

And yeah, using US DNS servers from the UK is going to break stuff like that, I had the same issues when using Google DNS (Although I had to since my ISP at the time simply didn't have a working DNS server) Running your own resolver is also an option (In that case it will use your IP address for geolocation).

#21 neoadorable

neoadorable

Neowinian Senior

Posted 09 June 2014 - 01:40

I personally only use my Xbox One on weekends, it's very rare I get chance to play on it during the week so i disabled the always on features. I think sitting there drawing over 15w of energy doing absolutely nothing most of the time is a bit extreme. Although you are right in saying this wouldn't even be an issue if i did use it. Getting a bit off topic, however you might find this an interesting read, it certainly surprised me: 40 percent of PS4, Wii U, Xbox One power usage comes in standby mode.

This makes sense, if you only turn it on a couple times a week. The power consumption is actually not a surprise to me, it's been well documented. Definitely something to consider, though i'm not sure it reflects in my power bills, which seem to fluctuate on their own and haven't changed much since last fall.