Camera Recommendation

Looking for a camera that takes good/decent pics as well as a decent optical zoom.  Nothing top of the line and I will not be taking professional pics.  However, I do want to get close to subjects without having to get to close.  For example, we have some nice look animals/birds around where I live and I cannot get up close to take pics without scaring them away.

Recommendations?

Thanks!

budget?

600-700 at the most.  Maybe a little more.  Have not decided and really depends on what is out there.   If I have to go more expensive to get what I want, so be it.  So mainly just looking for recommendations on multiple price levels.

Is 3x optical zoom going to be enough for me to get close to subjects like wild animals without scaring them?  We have bald eagles around where I work and would be nice to zoom in while they are flying or perched on a tree.  Being able to get up close to subjects from a distance is my main need for the camera.  Higher end digital cameras are not my forte.

3x, 5x and 10x are marketing gimmicks, it's about mm length.

300mm would be getting there, but you would have to invest in the long run in tele converters such as:

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=55-200+teleconverters&rh=i%3Aaps%2Ck%3A55-200+teleconverters

that gives you 2x = 600mm

That is the cheap way of doing so and there are some trade offs, but long lens are quite expensive in dSlrs

• Like 2

You might be able to get D5000 which is good for you ....  which is what I have.

Look for entry level cameras on Nikon website or Amazon....  that suits you for now..  Higher end cameras (Such as D4) can come later when you are ready or have enough cash to spend on.

i personally prefer compacts, and i like this one a lot: Panasonic Lumix LF1

pretty decent quality in comparison to other compacts and it is still pocketable.

If you want more zoom than the LF1 (above) has to offer, then the Lumix TZ60 is a viable alternative.

...even better, the compact that my friends use:

Sony Cyber-shot RX100 II

its not cheap, but its worth it.

3x, 5x and 10x are marketing gimmicks, it's about mm length.

300mm would be getting there, but you would have to invest in the long run in tele converters such as:

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=55-200+teleconverters&rh=i%3Aaps%2Ck%3A55-200+teleconverters

that gives you 2x = 600mm

That is the cheap way of doing so and there are some trade offs, but long lens are quite expensive in dSlrs

so, what is the max distance I can be away from the subject with a 300mm lens?

i personally prefer compacts, and i like this one a lot: Panasonic Lumix LF1

pretty decent quality in comparison to other compacts and it is still pocketable.

If you want more zoom than the LF1 (above) has to offer, then the Lumix TZ60 is a viable alternative.

even better compact that my friends use:

Sony Cyber-shot RX100 II

Thanks, I will look in to those as well.

so, what is the max distance I can be away from the subject with a 300mm lens?

Depends on how close you want...  for example, an eye of the animal... you can zoom in, if not, you can move up slowly close to the animal for up close photo of eye..  and based on the lens length.

Depends on how close you want...  for example, an eye of the animal... you can zoom in, if not, you can move up slowly close to the animal for up close photo of eye..  and based on the lens length.

Well, if I am say...roughly 50ft away or so (maybe a little more), I would like to get a good close up of an animal.  Not necessarily the eye, but a full body/facial shot would be nice.

Well, if I am say...roughly 50ft - 100ft away or so, I would like to get a good close up of an animal.  Not necessarily the eye, but a full body/facial shot would be nice.

Then you shouldn't have any problems as Guppy suggested about teleconverter.  which gives you more closer than the standard lens.

Then you shouldn't have any problems as Guppy suggested about teleconverter.  which gives you more closer than the standard lens.

So the 300mm lens may not do what I need and I will have to get the teleconverter?  The nikon d3200 comes with a 300mm lens so just makings sure what to get if I go that route.

So the 300mm lens may not do what I need and I will have to get the teleconverter?  The nikon d3200 comes with a 300mm lens so just makings sure what to get if I go that route.

Do you live near a brick and mortar store?

Teleconverter is NOT a must, it's just a cheap way to get more range.

Honestly I would go with a non-popular choice, the Fuji e1

Right now Fuji and Sony have the best sensors in the market. Add to that that Fuji's bodies are built like thanks ?pure metal body? and endures everything. Sony's bodies are dust and water proof. Image quality rivals high end and more expensive models from other leading vendors.

My entire body of work have been shoot with either a Fuji x100 or a x100s and the prints they produce have been worthy of museums, without the price tag of a 5D, 1D or Leica.

http://www.amazon.com/Fujifilm-X-E1-18-55mm-Lens-Black/dp/B0092MD5ZE/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1402000101&sr=8-1&keywords=fuji+e1

• Like 1

you need lens ... I was saying that if lens isn't close enough then use telconverter for more upclose...  understand what I was saying?

For example:  camera + telec. + lens

http://www.digitalcameraworld.com/2012/07/02/what-is-a-teleconverter/

I understand...was just curious if the 300mm lens will get me the distance (50ft or so) that I need or if I will need to also get the teleconverter.

Up until now, I just had a standard point/shoot camera.  So this is kinda/pretty much new territory for me.  So treat me like a camera moron...should be pretty easy to do.  haha  :)

Yeah, you get almost the same amazing quality as a pro. And it is actually practical size to carry in the pocket.

Seriously, look into Sony Cyber-shot RX100 II.   2 people I know have it, and love it.   Unless you are an experienced pro, then there is not reason to sacrifice the size for quality.

highres-sony-cyber-shot-rx100-II-large-6

I understand...was just curious if the 300mm lens will get me the distance (50ft or so) that I need or if I will need to also get the teleconverter.

Up until now, I just had a standard point/shoot camera.  So this is kinda/pretty much new territory for me.  So treat me like a camera moron...should be pretty easy to do.  haha  :)

That's fine.. 300mm is no problem for what you want...   if you want eye shots, you will need teleconverter if you are far away from the wild animals.  I have dog eye shots from a few years ago that I posted one of them at digital lab thread.

Honestly I would go with a non-popular choice, the Fuji e1

Right now Fuji and Sony have the best sensors in the market. Add to that that Fuji's bodies are built like thanks ?pure metal body? and endures everything. Sony's bodies are dust and water proof. Image quality rivals high end and more expensive models from other leading vendors.

My entire body of work have been shoot with either a Fuji x100 or a x100s and the prints they produce have been worthy of museums, without the price tag of a 5D, 1D or Leica.

http://www.amazon.com/Fujifilm-X-E1-18-55mm-Lens-Black/dp/B0092MD5ZE/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1402000101&sr=8-1&keywords=fuji+e1

What about the OP, he needs tele-reach.

The RX seems like a nice suggestion. OP needs to decide whether he wants the capability to change lens or not.