Ally of India

jA70R4nIXIkwN.jpg

Indian Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) supporters hold posters and chant slogans against the Chief Minister of the state of Uttar Pradesh Akhilesh Yadav as they take part in a protest against the gang-rape and murder of two girls in the district of Badaun, in Allahabad. PHOTO: AFP

A lawmaker from Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi?s ruling party has described rape as a social crime, saying ?sometimes it?s right, sometimes it?s wrong?, in the latest controversial remarks by an Indian politician about rape.

The political leaders of Uttar Pradesh, the state where two cousins aged 12 and 14 were raped and hanged last week, have faced criticism for failing to visit the scene and for accusing the media of hyping the story.

Read More

Why have you used a completely different title to the original article? Your title implies the PM said the quote himself.

Either way, ridiculous thing to say, if it wasn't completely taken out of context hopefully the PM will get rid of him quick. 

<Thread title changed to reflect article>

We do ask that people use the title of the article as it is written where possible. (Y)

• Like 2

Why have you used a completely different title to the original article? Your title implies the PM said the quote himself.

Either way, ridiculous thing to say, hopefully the PM will get rid of him quick. 

This was a ridiculous statement to make, but, sadly and disgustingly, an accurate reflection of the mindset of some of the people.  

I wonder if this dipstick would change his tune if it happened to someone HE cares about... Or himself...

This was a ridiculous statement to make, but, sadly and disgustingly, an accurate reflection of the mindset of some of the people.  

What ridiculous about it? The last place you want anyone who thinks rape is justifiable, is in a position of power.

Jesus christ, even Reddit has disproved this.

It was mistranslated by a ###### newspaper, put out of context and then got copied a billion times.

His actual PROPERLY translated speech came down to the accusations of rape:

Sexual crimes happen because of the twisted nature of men. You can stop people from driving rashly on the streets, make them wear helmets, prevent accidents. But how can we tell who is going to commit a rape? If we knew, we would put that man in jail! Rapes happens when no one is present. If a rape happens, and it is reported, we can take action on that.

This is a problem in our society, it is a social crime. It also depends on both the woman and the man. Sometimes the allegations are right and sometimes they are wrong. But nothing can be done till there is a complaint. Its like someone committing suicide in his home.. How could we know and prevent that? This can only happen when the man loses his mental balance.

Therefore, its not right to put the entire blame (for the rapes in Badaun, UP, India) on Mr. Mulayam singh or Mr Akhilesh. I dont know what they can do. How will me attacking them or blaming them solve anything?

Bolded part is the quote the newspaper got wrong.

It was mistranslated by a ###### newspaper, put out of context and then got copied a billion times.

This video shows him making the statement in Hindi (starting around 1:30 mark). It's not clear if the "sometimes it's right, sometimes it's wrong" part of his sentence was meant to be about the rape or the "complaint".

It is easy to mistranslate and while I do understand Hindi, I am not sure either version is right.

I think all the so called "Secular" people in India are trying to find something against "hindu nationalist" Modi and even minor statements like this are being twisted as needed.

http://youtu.be/x2UgbbKBh3I?t=1m30s

• Like 2

Its clearly a twisting of minister's statement by the secular media. Our media is very secular. :P

Well, in that case, thank you for the corrected translation and the media should apologise!