"The Stand" Director Promises A 3-Hour R-Rated Adaptation

TheStand_CaptainTrips_PremiereHC_LE.jpg

After Scott Cooper, Ben Affleck and David Yates all left the project, Warner Bros. finally signed The Fault In Our Stars director Josh Boone to helm their ambitious adaptation of Stephen King's The Stand. Why ambitious? Well, the plan is to condense the 900-page novel into just one movie -- quite an undertaking as anyone who's read the book will attest to. You may remember the ABC miniseries back in 1994 with Gary Sinise, Rob Lowe and Molly Ringwald among others, which ran over 6 hours and still didn't manage to cram near enough in. But, Boone has done his best to ease fan concerns in an interview with Vulture.

"We?re gonna do one three-hour, R-rated version with an amazing A-list cast across the board. Every single one of those characters will be somebody you recognize and somebody you relate to. And it?s gonna be awesome. I?m really excited. It?s the most exciting thing I?ve ever got to do in my entire life. If 12-year-old me had ever known that one day I?d be doing this, to even just go back and look at that kid, I?d be like, Keep doing what you?re doing! It?s just crazy. I?ve met so many actors over the years, and like, when I met Stephen King, I hugged him with tears in my eyes. He meant that much to me when I was young. I still say everything I learned about writing I learned from Stephen King. I don?t read screenplays. I don?t read screenplay how-to books. It?s always just, establish the character. Establish the character."

Source