Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

User screws up ms office

12 posts in this topic

Posted

I have a user who constantly screws up their documents with MS Office. I wanted to know are there any settings or scripts that can be done on a home machine that's running Windows 8.1 Pro. The goal is to force the user save their documents to Onedrive every 30 minutes. Also the user wont be allowed to save office documents locally anymore. Any ideas how to do this?

Posted

Why not just enable Shadow Copies? It snapshots files at a set interval so if they screw it up just simply right click the bad file and then click previous versions and bam, all set.

Posted

One drive files are sync'd to a one drive folder under the user account. Just point their My Documents to the one drive folder.

Not sure how saving to a different place resolves the problem of them screwing up the documents.

Posted

Set the default save and auto recover paths to their OneDrive, but that just moves these off the local. The end user still has the chance to 'ruin' them through using them.

File - Options - Save

How exactly are they screwing them up?

Posted

Why not just enable Shadow Copies? It snapshots files at a set interval so if they screw it up just simply right click the bad file and then click previous versions and bam, all set.

No previous versions in Windows 8 :(

if you use office 2013/360  I think the online storage has built in versioning so you can go back to older versions though.

Posted

if you use office 2013/360  I think the online storage has built in versioning so you can go back to older versions though.

:wacko:  Yes there is... it's called File History.

Posted

and it requires a second drive.....

Posted

get rid of the problem between the chair and the keyboard and you will fix the problem permanently   :woot:    

1 person likes this

Posted

As someone else said, not the same thing. The only thing they share is a shadow copy back end. Could use shadow explorer, but not as reliable without previous versions set up.

Posted

Documents auto-save in Office 2013.

Posted

There is, it's just hidden. Microsoft doesn't want people using shadow copies for home use for some reason.

The system restore setting in "System" still controls how much space is allocated for volume shadows.