E3 2014 Microsoft Press Conference Discussion

Can I get the cliff notes version as to what happened for this one. I didn't get a chance to fully watch this due to being at work. Basically what I want to know is there any reason to buy an Xbox 1?

Basically games games games. And Halo. Also, they have yet to announce everything. My overwhelming impression was that they were playing E3 safe, showing the titles such as CoD, Halo with a smattering of exclusives and reveals. They essentially served up the standard E3 platter of shooty-and-bang games, Halo and a few other guaranteed crowd-pleasers. However there were lots of notable omissions from this confreence - but basically Phil Spencer has said more announcements coming throughout the year; I'd expect the more story-driven exclusives to be gradually announced and shown at other conferences.  Judging by their pre-E3 pace of news release, they have lots of things they want to announce and a single conference is not enough.

Brief rundown of titles shown:

Halo Master Chief Collection - all multiplayer maps included, all single player missions unlocked from the getgo. Each Halo on their own enhanced engine, all glitches, etc are still there. 11/11/14

Halo 5 coming later - 2015

Halo Nightfall digital series - a separate series to the other Halo TV show coming

CoD: Advanced Warfare - blow up Times Square edition

Forza Horizon 2 - looks pretty

Dead Rising Ultra Super Arcade Remix Hyper Edition Ex Plus Alpha DLC - long name

Assassin's Creed Unity 

Sunset Overdrive looks colorful

More Project Spark

Fable Legends

Tomb Raider

The Division looks quite good - 2015

Exclusive Platinum Games title - Scalebound - dragons and stuff 2015

Killer Instinct

Phantom Dust

Crackdown

Fair amount of indie stuff  - e.g. "Inside" from the Limbo studio 

• Like 2

I don't think so. I just think there were some vocal websites (read: Kotaku, NeoGAF) that killed Microsoft for even daring mention anything other than games last year. I thought last year's press conference was far better than today's.

Well now I really know you're in the minority because, well online anyways, everyone and their cat says last years was bad.  Not that I agree mind you, I get that people wanted more exclusive stuff, they're forgetting the changes MS announced to XBL Gold already and the new SKU, big news that was weeks before E3.  They could very well do the same and just drop news about things outside of any big gaming events.

Well now I really know you're in the minority because, well online anyways, everyone and their cat says last years was bad.  Not that I agree mind you, I get that people wanted more exclusive stuff, they're forgetting the changes MS announced to XBL Gold already and the new SKU, big news that was weeks before E3.  They could very well do the same and just drop news about things outside of any big gaming events.

No, everyone and their cat said Microsoft's policies last year were bad. That's a major difference from the totality of the press conference.

So this halo collection is games 1-4 on Xbox 1?

Yes, all with their original respective netcodes, every map, and the beta for Halo 5 included.

You do realize that they still have to have material for Gamescon and TGS...

Why would they put everything on the table for 1 conference?

Because E3 is the biggest and most important one, isn't it?

Basically games games games. And Halo. Also, they have yet to announce everything. My overwhelming impression was that they were playing E3 safe, showing the titles such as CoD, Halo with a smattering of exclusives and reveals. They essentially served up the standard E3 platter of shooty-and-bang games, Halo and a few other guaranteed crowd-pleasers. However there were lots of notable omissions from this confreence - but basically Phil Spencer has said more announcements coming throughout the year; I'd expect the more story-driven exclusives to be gradually announced and shown at other conferences.  Judging by their pre-E3 pace of news release, they have lots of things they want to announce and a single conference is not enough.

Brief rundown of titles shown:

Halo Master Chief Collection - all multiplayer maps included, all single player missions unlocked from the getgo. Each Halo on their own enhanced engine, all glitches, etc are still there. 11/11/14

Halo 5 coming later - 2015

Halo Nightfall digital series - a separate series to the other Halo TV show coming

CoD: Advanced Warfare - blow up Times Square edition

Forza Horizon 2 - looks pretty

Dead Rising Ultra Super Arcade Remix Hyper Edition Ex Plus Alpha DLC - long name

Assassin's Creed Unity 

Sunset Overdrive looks colorful

More Project Spark

Fable Legends

Tomb Raider

The Division looks quite good - 2015

Exclusive Platinum Games title - Scalebound - dragons and stuff 2015

Killer Instinct

Phantom Dust

Crackdown

Fair amount of indie stuff  - e.g. "Inside" from the Limbo studio 

Yeah, the only way Phil could be more obvious was if he said "these are only x number out of x exclusives coming".   I mean they're not done with 2014 and any exclusives they do talk about aren't till 2015 anyways, I don't see the rush, just show enough at E3 and see what the others do after you.    I expect more to come out at Gamescon and then again at TGS.

Crackdown, Dead Rising 3 DLC (Oh Capcom with your crazy titles :D ...) Inside, Forza Horizon 2 (why no actual gameplay?), Ori (such beautiful art) and Sunset Overdrive were my favourites. True to Microsoft's word, it was all about games but not an amazing briefing, just good. Much better than last year and no mention of Kinect or TV (Halo got close tho :p ), 7/10 (Y)

Oh and finally having the N?rburgring in Forza 5 for free was a nice bonus. With the games above, looks like I will be picking up an Xbox One later this year :happy:

• Like 1

7/10 from a non Xbox owner. Liked that they talked about games non-stop but most of them did not make me want to order one (yet).

I give it a 5/10. The Exclusives are considerably POOR and uninteresting!

That's not the case for me.

I guess a lot of it is out of their control because so much of it leaked, but again, outside of their staple IPs, not a lot of surprises. The games looked great, but there wasn't that "OMGWTFBBQ" moment.

I don't know, I just think its a good thing that they focused on the games. Things like Phantom Dust and Crackdown returning were exciting for me. Seeing a new game from Platinum Games was also exciting.

I agree that there was not a single announcement that registered as massive megaton by the online community.

I don't think so. I just think there were some vocal websites (read: Kotaku, NeoGAF) that killed Microsoft for even daring mention anything other than games last year. I thought last year's press conference was far better than today's.

Don't blame MS for reacting to what the loudest group of people complained about. I don't envy their position of trying to please everyone.

No, everyone and their cat said Microsoft's policies last year were bad. That's a major difference from the totality of the press conference.

Showing off Kinect games with the "player" clearing mimicking the moves the obviously pre-recorded gameplay footage shows, demos playing with no sound, presenters making rape jokes during gameplay demos.... that was a better presser than today's?

Not any longer...

Gamescon is the most important now...

The conference was lumped right in with the policy stuff. So it was heavily downgraded because of it, regardless of the content of the conference. Last year was also focused on games and lacked any mention of Kinect or TV, and yet it is considered a terrible event.

I'm not sure, Gamescom has been getting bigger every year.

I think it's telling either way, I mean look at the trend already.   KI, Conker, Phantom Dust, Crackdown, I think it's clear that Phil is going to bring back all the IP he can.   Just wait for more of the Rare stuff to start coming out, at this point I expect it.  I mean look at the hints, all the little videos between games where they asked devs questions, first game, fav game and so on. 

At this point I expect them to bring back the whole IP backlog over time with new IP as well.

I didnt fall asleep during that Microsoft conference like I did last year, so thats an improvement. 

• Like 2

I'm not sure, Gamescom has been getting bigger every year.

I could be wrong but I think Gamescom is bigger already, mostly because it's open to the public.

Not any longer...

Gamescon is the most important now...

Both are just as important as each other for different reasons. E3 has the most reach around the world, even outside of gaming media.

That hasn't suddenly changed because MS are holding back content for Gamescom.

The day MS skip E3 and go to Gamescom instead and you can say it's the biggest.

Both are just as important as each other for different reasons. E3 has the most reach around the world, even outside of gaming media.

Why the bold m ? :P

MS isn't the only company that will hold content for other events, nor is it a new practice.

I don't think it has anything to do with which event is bigger. MS, Sony, and Nintendo want to spread out announcements as much as possible to communicate the impression of a constant stream of new content. If it was all a reflection of the 'reach' of an event, nothing would be shown only at TGS.

Of course sometimes it can also be that a game simply is not ready to be shown off.

Didn't see anything from MS that Sony can pounce on with one of their snarky marketing jabs.

That has to be considered a huge win for any E3 conference. Plus, I didn't notice any 'cringe-worthy' moments that the online community could run with.

Why the bold m ? :p

Because it's not gamescon :P

I think it's telling either way, I mean look at the trend already.   KI, Conker, Phantom Dust, Crackdown, I think it's clear that Phil is going to bring back all the IP he can.   Just wait for more of the Rare stuff to start coming out, at this point I expect it.  I mean look at the hints, all the little videos between games where they asked devs questions, first game, fav game and so on. 

At this point I expect them to bring back the whole IP backlog over time with new IP as well.

Conker was only part of Project Spark unless I'm missing something? It's not a new title in the series...