The only SSD worth buying anymore? Crucial MX100

This is going to be a really noob question I have a custom built desktop I picked the components for it and had a shop build it in recent years, how do I know if my power supply and MB/Case can support an SSD? I understand the benefits of having one and see they have become a lot cheaper now but I am not good on the hardware side of things.

If you have a floppy drive space in that case, an SSD can go there - in most cases, an SSD would actually rattle around in the floppy spot!

SSDs also use LESS juice than any sort of platter drive - if you have a spare SATA power cable, unless you're on the ragged edge with power usage, adding an SSD to the mix should be a non-issue except with the wimpiest of power supplies.  (It's also quite capable of using decent Molex/SATA power adaptors if you are out of standard SATA power connectors - where I've used them, I choose StarTech for reliability reasons.)

Motherboard - unless you're thinking mSATA, an SSD will otherwise use a standard SATA drive connection (and thus standard SATA data cabling); that means they can go onto ANY motherboard that supports SATA.  It's been a major driver for non-typical - and quite a few typical - SSD installations, such as portable computers, including MacBooks and older desktops with such plebeian CSM Intel chipset such as G31 (Bear Lake) - which dates back to XP.

OS support - while Windows 7 and OS X Mountain Lion (and their progeny) are driving demand, you can use an SSD with almost any older (or newer) OS, such as Windows (back to Vista - if XP weren't out of support, I'd even recommend it there), OS X (back to Snow Leopard on Intel Macs, or Leopard on non-Intel Macs), Linux distributions, or even (don't faint) UNIX, or Android.

If you have a floppy drive space in that case, an SSD can go there - in most cases, an SSD would actually rattle around in the floppy spot!

Why would a SSD rattle? It has no moving parts.

As for the topic at hand, shouldn't we start looking at M.2 SSDs. I really need to research those.

Why would a SSD rattle? It has no moving parts.

As for the topic at hand, shouldn't we start looking at M.2 SSDs. I really need to research those.

Most people have no M.2 slots, and if what I read a few weeks ago is right most M.2 SSDs are still going to be using SATA (it can be in SATA mode or PCIE mode but I imagine most consumer SSDs are going to stick with the SATA.)

I'm personally a lot more excited about SATA Express.

I'll be getting an M2 SSD but these aren't so bad either, seems like a good option for 2.5" later if I decide I need more space than the 128GB i'm getting now.

To say its the only one worth buying is a little sensationalism.  In my opinion, there are many that are worth buying.

If crucial has dropped the price/size ratio, others will follow.

For lower capacities, yes the Crucial MX100 is good because in benchmarks the performance doesn't seem to degrade even as the SSD gets full, price is also killer. But there isn't a 1 TB capacity. :( I went for Samsung's TLC-based EVO 840 because I wanted 1 TB and with RAPID mode caching it performs admirably. I got one recently off eBay for $432.

I'd have to be very convinced to swap from my Samsung Pro...

And i'm not.

Have to agree on this - I have purchased many SSD's, and I can say the 840 Pro is by far my favorite (still my goto SSD for OS boot drives). The 840 Pro is pricey but you definitely get what you pay for. 

• Like 2

I still believe that the Samsung 840 Pro series are still difficult to beat. (And that is coming from a guy who doesn?t particularly like Samsung.)

Sure, the performance is still incredibly good but the difference is small and probably not exactly noticeable. Do you think it's worth paying almost double for it?

Sure, the performance is still incredibly good but the difference is small and probably not exactly noticeable. Do you think it's worth paying almost double for it?

Some people prefer quality over price.

• Like 2

For anyone based in the UK they have the 256GB at ?74.99 (?51.98 for 128GB) plus postage (~?6.95) at Aria. May pick one up allthough i`m not sure where i`ll put it ;)

http://www.aria.co.uk/SuperSpecials/Other+products/Crucial%C2%AE+MX100+256GB+SATA+2.5%E2%80%9D++7mm+%28with+9.5mm+adapter%29+Internal+Solid+State+Drive+?productId=60860

Still hard to beat the Evo for reliability though...

I purchased one for my parents' Mac mini, and I would say yes.

I was considering buying this to replace my M4 240GB. I'm passing it down to my dad to use as a laptop drive.

I had some flaky experiences with my M4. To Crucial's credit, the replacement is working okay so far but it's no longer my laptop's sole drive.

I'm not sure whether the controller has changed since then though.

I'd still give them a shot over some brand like ADATA (chuckle)

What happened? 

I was considering buying this to replace my M4 240GB. I'm passing it down to my dad to use as a laptop drive.

What happened?

Drive refused to power back on after an improper shutdown on my laptop. It would take anywhere from a few minutes to a couple of hours powered on and do nothing in a HD toaster dock before it came back alive. This happened a couple of times.

Seeing how I was still in classes then and couldn't afford a dead SSD I opted to throw an Intel SSD into my laptop and put the replacement M4 as a Steam SSD in my desktop.

I got myself a 840 evo 250gb yesterday, I was not sure about buying the 840 evo or mx100 and went afterall with the 840 evo because it had faster read and write speeds :P

Drive refused to power back on after an improper shutdown on my laptop. It would take anywhere from a few minutes to a couple of hours powered on and do nothing in a HD toaster dock before it came back alive. This happened a couple of times.

Seeing how I was still in classes then and couldn't afford a dead SSD I opted to throw an Intel SSD into my laptop and put the replacement M4 as a Steam SSD in my desktop.

Yikes. I've had a couple of improper shutdowns with my new Radeon R9 280X and 3DMark 2013. One of the graphics tests would make my computer shutdown. I really hope I didn't damage my SSD in any way.  :s

Yikes. I've had a couple of improper shutdowns with my new Radeon R9 280X and 3DMark 2013. One of the graphics tests would make my computer shutdown. I really hope I didn't damage my SSD in any way.  :s

I've never had any SSD react that way.  I kinda wonder if he installed the updated firmware or not.

I've never had any SSD react that way.  I kinda wonder if he installed the updated firmware or not.

It's my first SSD and I haven't had any issues with it yet. I recently updated to the latest firmware but I also updated it once before. I got it in January and I run speed tests every now and then at varying levels of free space. So far, so good. It performs just as well as it did when I first got it, even with over 80% of it used.

It was the most recent firmware at the time.

• 3 weeks later...

Decided to get a 250 GB Evo, in the end (instead of 120 GB). Ordered it and got it last week. Fits nicely in the case I ordered (Zalman ZM-T1 plus - Only downside with this case, is it's only got 1 5.25 bay, and 1 USB 2 / 3 port), since its got 3 built in brackets for SSD's / 2.5 hdd's.

And where I've put the SSD, it's hidden (behind the mobo)

Saved me buying something to put it in (so it'd fit in a hdd bay). And ordered a modular PSU yesterday. This may arrive today. Still have to get the ram. Will have to get this in 2-3 weeks time. Then hopefully it works