Auto Save

Hi!

I have a friend that she was working all morning and then Word crashed and the recover didn't work this time. She didn't save her work not even once! She lost all of her work and now she's complaining the computers, "the computer should have save my work automatically, I can't believe that they do so much stuff but can't do this simple task".

I already told her that the computer doesn't decide for her, it's her that has to do the simple task to hit Ctrl + S once in a while, but my god, all the morning not even once!?

Is there another software that does the autosave? 

It does but usually when she had crashes the auto recover showed, but not this time.

You have to save the document at least once before Word:Mac makes an autorecover file.

Pages in iWorks autosaves everything regardless of whether you've saved the file once or not, next time the program opens up it will go straight to the document. (At least that's how it worked the last time I used it)

A mac crashed ?!?!?!?  Oh my Gawd ! SSsshhhhhhh dont let that be heard, the apple fanatics will burn you at the stake for such blasphemy.  Macs NEVER crash !  Never do anything wrong, Never !

A mac crashed ?!?!?!?  Oh my Gawd ! SSsshhhhhhh dont let that be heard, the apple fanatics will burn you at the stake for such blasphemy.  Macs NEVER crash !  Never do anything wrong, Never !

:)  Actually it wasn't a Mac crash but a Word crash.

You can easily create an Automator Workflow Application to create a new Word document and perform a save right away. Save the workflow .app and drag it on to her Dock.

You can easily create an Automator Workflow Application to create a new Word document and perform a save right away. Save the workflow .app and drag it on to her Dock.

But that will not save the document constantly, right?

But that will not save the document constantly, right?

No, but once its saved the auto save starts working.

No, but once its saved the auto save starts working.

Yeah, the autosave worked for her all this years, but this time it didn't work, the auto recover didn't show up and now she wanted another solution besides the auto save from Word.

Yeah, the autosave worked for her all this years, but this time it didn't work, the auto recover didn't show up and now she wanted another solution besides the auto save from Word.

Auto save and recovery are two different things. Auto save saves the document, recovery attempts to recover unsaved changes when the program crashes. If she started a new document, saved it right away and set the auto save timer to 1 minute then she won't have any problems, and it's more reliable than relying on a third party solution to make Word save.

Either that, or switch to a piece of software (like Pages) where it maintains a constant save state using functionality built right into OSX.