Guillermo del Toro Writing Pacific Rim 2 with Zak Penn

316472238071988653708144.png

Guillermo del Toro was down in Austin, Texas for the premiere of "The Strain," which debuts July 13th on FX. In speaking with the press - in this case, BuzzFeed - del Toro said he is currently at work on a script for Pacific Rim 2 with Zak Penn (X-Men: The Last Stand). No Travis Beacham, screenwriter of the first film?

"I'm working very, very hard with Zak Penn," he told the site. "We've been working for a few months now in secret. We found a way to twist it around. Travis Beacham [co-writer of the first film, now working on Fox's 'Hieroglyph'] was involved in the storyline and now I'm writing with Zak because Travis has become a TV mogul."

The script hasn't been given the green light, of course. Although, when ShockTillYouDrop.com spoke to Legendary Pictures head Thomas Tull back in March, he sounded like he was up for a sequel.

"I was literally just with Guillermo on the set of 'Crimson Peak,'" said Tull. "We talk about it and have some pretty great ideas. If they come to fruition and we get a great script, then we're open to it. Fans seem pretty passionate about it and working with Guillermo. So, we're open to it."

Del Toro said the script for the second film will see the return of Raleigh and Mako and he reiterated what he told us last year.

"I'm going for very new, very crazy ideas on the second one, which are very different from the first one ? but you will get really great spectacle."

The first film, which was made for about $190 million and opened in July of 2013, earned $411 million at the worldwide box office.

Source

The first one was so so for more, I just felt they needed more Yaegers (sp) or giant robots to control and fight with than what they had. I was thinking it was gonna be some huge war but it was mostly one on one most of the time.

Read the following with a strong hollywood voice: From the creators of the worst movie in years... comes: THE FOLLOW UP OF SUCH MOVIE!

I loved the first movie but don't think a sequel is needed. I would love to see a live action movie based on the Armored Core games though.

Read the following with a strong hollywood voice: From the creators of the worst movie in years... comes: THE FOLLOW UP OF SUCH MOVIE!

The worst movie in years? What?

While it wasn't the best movie of all time, it wasn't the worst by a long shot. There have been far far worse movies to come out of Hollywood.

I loved the first one, if you took it for what it was, just a fun simple movie, giant robots beating up giant monsters, what was there not too love! Think a sequel would be awesome, as long as they keep it fun (ie more jeagers!) and doesn't become too serious!

The worst movie in years? What?

While it wasn't the best movie of all time, it wasn't the worst by a long shot. There have been far far worse movies to come out of Hollywood.

Yeah, it wasn't even the worst movie of 2013. That distinction belongs to the insufferable Man of Steel.