'I've Had Enough': When Democrats Quit on Obama

• Please log in to reply
41 replies to this topic

#1 DocM

DocM

Neowinian Senior

• 18,267 posts

Posted 09 June 2014 - 19:34

Bergdahl is a US deserter in Afghanistan Obama traded 5 high-up Taliban members for without notifying Congress 30 days in advance, which is required by a law Obana signed. Both parties are now in a total uproar because of the lack of consultation.

There is also a scandal in the Veterans Administration where vets were improperly put on long waiting lists before their benefits started, and treatments improperly delayed once benefits did start.

On one day Obama's Veterans Administration chief and his Press Secretary resigned.

The administration, already in crisis because of Obamacare's failings and unintended consequences, is now in even deeper trouble.

http://www.nationalj...-obama-20140609

'I've Had Enough': When Democrats Quit on Obama

Bergdahl swap is latest last straw for top Democrats frustrated with president's leadership.

The email hit my in-box at 9:41 p.m. last Wednesday. From one of the most powerful Democrats in Washington, a close adviser to the White House, the missive amounted to an electronic eye roll. "Even I have had enough."

Another Democrat had quit on President Obama.

The tipping point for this person was the Sgt. Bowe Bergdahl case—not the soldier-for-Taliban swap itself as much as how the White House mishandled its obligation to communicate effectively and honestly to Congress and the public. More than that, Obama's team had failed once again to acknowledge its mistakes, preferring to cast blame and seek cover behind talking points.

"DC is hard, and depressing," the Democrat wrote. "I still believe good comes from government (e.g. 8 million in ACA). But that Politico story is a cautionary one: good reminder that you can't go so in the bunker [and] no longer identify legitimate criticism." That day, Politico had posted a story channeling the White House communications team's response to the Bergdahl backlash.
>
> (quote of Politico.com article)
>
To this senior Democrat, the Politico story showed the White House to be both tone-deaf and arrogant, two vices that are undermining what could have been a great presidency.

I share this email to make the broader point and to offer a disclosure: In the 18 months since I began writing columns focused on the presidency, virtually every post critical of Obama has originated from conversations with Democrats. Members of Congress, consultants, pollsters, lobbyists, and executives at think tanks, these Democrats are my Obama-whispers. They respect and admire Obama but believe that his presidency has been damaged by his shortcomings as a leader; his inattention to details of governing; his disengagement from the political process and from the public; his unwillingness to learn on the job; and his failure to surround himself with top-shelf advisers who are willing to challenge their boss as well as their own preconceived notions.

"Dem Party is F****d," wrote a Democratic consultant with strong ties to the White House and Capitol Hill during the botched rollout of the Affordable Care Act website.

A Democratic House member whose endorsement in 2008 helped lift the Obama candidacy told me in January, "He's bored and tired of being president, and our party is paying the price."

"Talented guy but no leader," said a Democratic lobbyist and former member of Congress in March. "If he could govern half as well as he campaigns, he'd be a good-to-great president."

Questioning why the Veterans Affairs Department hadn't been overhauled months ago as promised by Obama, a senior White House official conceded privately to me, "We don't do the small stuff well. And the small stuff is the important stuff."

The level of disquiet among Democrats reminds me of President George W. Bush's second term, when my best sources were frustrated Republicans. (Interviewing Republicans today is like interviewing Democrats in 2006: predictably partisan, rarely insightful.)

Few frustrated Democrats are willing to complain openly. I grant them anonymity, which creates a problem: Readers, for good reason, don't trust anonymous quotes. One way to avoid deluging readers with unnamed Democrats is for me to digest their complaints along with other reporting to shape my columns and tweets. Like this one:
>
> (numerous Tweet quotes)
>

#2 seta-san

seta-san

Neowinian Senior

• 4,479 posts

Posted 09 June 2014 - 19:57

Catching on I see. A few years too late.

#3 TechJunkie81

TechJunkie81

Neowinian

• 400 posts

Posted 09 June 2014 - 20:18

Bergdahl is a US deserter in Afghanistan Obama traded 5 high-up Taliban members for without notifying Congress 30 days in advance, which is required by a law Obana signed. Both parties are now in a total uproar because of the lack of consultation.

There is also a scandal in the Veterans Administration where vets were improperly put on long waiting lists before their benefits started, and treatments improperly delayed once benefits did start.

On one day Obama's Veterans Administration chief and his Press Secretary resigned.

The administration, already in crisis because of Obamacare's failings and unintended consequences, is now in even deeper trouble.

http://www.nationalj...-obama-20140609

We have this thing called "Due Process" that won't be left to the mob mentality you've accepted.  And speaking of the VA, this is what happens when you send off soldiers to a fake war (Iraq) and don't give the VA the funding it needs to take care of all these broken soldiers we got back.  But that's the GOP for ya, claiming to love the soldiers yet not giving them everything they need to get back on their feet.  GOP frauds.

#4 twoodward001

twoodward001

Neowinian

• 2 posts

Posted 09 June 2014 - 20:26

Obama surely dropped the ball with his handling of the Bergdahl trade & it will be interesting to see what the fallout of that is. Obama is running out of excuses...

#5 OP DocM

DocM

Neowinian Senior

• 18,267 posts

Posted 09 June 2014 - 20:37

^ precisely, and die process has started with a military investigation.

Not being a court others don't have to be limited by due process, and I choose to believe those who he served with - they are up I arms over this travesty. Given that those who serve together stick together this indicates more than smoke is involved here.

#6 spenser.d

spenser.d

Neowinian Senior

• 11,044 posts

Posted 09 June 2014 - 20:51

We have this thing called "Due Process" that won't be left to the mob mentality you've accepted.  And speaking of the VA, this is what happens when you send off soldiers to a fake war (Iraq) and don't give the VA the funding it needs to take care of all these broken soldiers we got back.  But that's the GOP for ya, claiming to love the soldiers yet not giving them everything they need to get back on their feet.  GOP frauds.

Yeah this 'article' has FUD written all over. Amusing really, what they need to resort to.

#7 shockz

shockz

Neowinian Senior

• 19,637 posts
  • Phone: iPhone 5

Posted 09 June 2014 - 20:53

Can't say I agree with this FUD kinda of article, but per the title, I voted Obama in both times, but I am astoundingly disappointed with him.

He's done a good job with some things, but he let the republicans walk all over him, he won't take a stand. He compromises on fundamental things democrats completely disagree with. If I wanted a republican, I'd have voted a republican. He needs to stick to his guns. Doing it over again though, I'd still vote for him, he's the lesser of two evils. I think we've seen how much of a ###### show McCain and Palin would have been.

#8 theyarecomingforyou

theyarecomingforyou

Tiger Trainer

• 16,682 posts
  • Phone: Galaxy Note 3 with Galaxy Gear

Posted 09 June 2014 - 20:53

Yawn. :sleep: Conservatives are trying to turn this into the next Benghazi, yet they can't seem to decide what the issue is. Some take issue because he's an alleged deserter; others because his father is an alleged Muslim sympathiser, for having a beard and learning about another culture; others because the trade might endanger the lives of American soldiers; others because of the legality of it; others because it's something to attack Obama for. So, let's break it down.

1) It doesn't matter whether he's a deserter, as he's an American citizen.

2) It doesn't matter whether his father is a Muslim sympathiser, as he is entitled to believe in what he wants.

3) Keeping prisoners in Guantanamo Bay is already endangering the lives of American soldiers.

4) Not informing Congress is irrelevant, as Congress could not have prevented the exchange from occurring.

If a GOP president had done the same thing conservatives would be applauding, claiming it was a bold move by a strong leader. It's completely hypocritical. There are plenty of legitimate reasons to criticise Obama—his illegal assassination of US citizens (and non-nationals) via drone strikes; his broken promise to close Guantanamo Bay; his refusal to go after those responsible for the economic collapse; his response to the NSA surveillance scandal—without wasting political capital on nonsense like this. We saw the GOP try the same thing with the Cliven Bundy debacle.

There is never a reasoned, proportional response from conservatives - it's just hype, hype, hype until something sticks. We saw it is ObamaCare, with HealthCare.gov, with Benghazi, with Cliven Bundy, with the IRS, etc.

As for Democrats jumping ship, Obama can't win any more terms and the mid-terms are coming up. It would be understandable for those with vulnerable seats will try to distance themselves from him in order to improve their chances of reelection, while others may try to use it to align themselves with the next Democratic administration. That said, this is about a Democratic consultant, so it shouldn't be taken seriously.

#9 Enron

Enron

Windows for Workgroups

• 10,119 posts
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 900

Posted 09 June 2014 - 21:14

Good thing Obama is on his way out and Steve Ballmer is free to run for Office in 2016.

#10 Astra.Xtreme

Astra.Xtreme

Electrical Engineer

• 8,258 posts

Posted 09 June 2014 - 21:23

Yeah this 'article' has FUD written all over. Amusing really, what they need to resort to.

Yup, you've convinced us...

#11 Wyn6

Wyn6

Neowinian

• 769 posts
  • Phone: Lumia 925

Posted 09 June 2014 - 21:42

Good thing Obama is on his way out and Steve Ballmer is free to run for Office in 2016.

Wait. I thought the next version was supposed to be Office 2015. What'd I miss?

#12 Enron

Enron

Windows for Workgroups

• 10,119 posts
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 900

Posted 09 June 2014 - 21:48

Wait. I thought the next version was supposed to be Office 2015. What'd I miss?

Ballmer will promote Access for everyone. You have his Word that he will Excel at providing the country with a positive Outlook.

#13 Obi-Wan Kenobi

Obi-Wan Kenobi

"You were the chosen one!"

• 2,761 posts

Posted 09 June 2014 - 22:02

Obama is probably the biggest troll our country has ever been lead by. I know I didn't vote for him, because something in my gut told me it would turn out like this. He still won, but it doesn't matter. It think he was going to win anyway, tbh.

Sign bill into a law: Break law and nobody can do a #### thing about it.

#14 spenser.d

spenser.d

Neowinian Senior

• 11,044 posts

Posted 09 June 2014 - 22:03

Yup, you've convinced us...

I wasn't really trying to convince you or anyone of anything. But theyarecomingforyou sums it up nicely.

#15 blerk

blerk

Banned User

• 716 posts

Posted 09 June 2014 - 22:24

I thought the next Office would be 2015....