xbox 360 microsoft sales

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 vcfan

vcfan

Doing the Humpty Dance

• Tech Issues Solved: 3

Posted 09 June 2014 - 22:29

Microsoft also announced today that Xbox 360 sales have risen to 84 million units sold (up from 80 million units), with lifetime game sales for the platform now hitting $37.7 billion. Lastly, Microsoft says that Xbox 360 gamers have now logged more than 88 billion hours of gameplay, which is equivalent to more than 100,000 centuries.

http://www.gamespot....n/1100-6420231/

#2 neoadorable

neoadorable

Neowinian Senior

Posted 10 June 2014 - 00:54

She's still plugging away, the old gal

#3 Showan

Showan

Neowinian Senior

• Phone: Lumia Icon

Posted 12 June 2014 - 15:59

People are still eating this up... WOW....

Instead of announcing prices drops, MS has just been throwing in 2-3 games in the box, and keeping it at the same price....

And people are still eating this up... amazing.... :woot:  :woot:  :rofl:  :woot:  :woot:

Edit: Maybe the 360's popularity (and game catalog), will make people wait on upgrading to the One

#4 macrosslover

macrosslover

Muad’Dib

Posted 12 June 2014 - 16:06

Instead of announcing prices drops, MS has just been throwing in 2-3 games in the box, and keeping it at the same price....

And people are still eating this up... amazing.... :woot:  :woot:  :rofl:  :woot:  :woot:

Edit: Maybe the 360's popularity (and game catalog), will make people wait on upgrading to the One

I was personally hoping that PS3 would drop their price so I could buy one, alas neither 360 and PS3 seem to be dropping their price anytime soon.

#5 firebelly

firebelly

firebelly

• Phone: Lumia 920

Posted 12 June 2014 - 16:21

I was personally hoping that PS3 would drop their price so I could buy one, alas neither 360 and PS3 seem to be dropping their price anytime soon.

well I do not know where you live but in the past 6~8 months I was able to get Xbox for as low as $100 (CAD) and then added the 320GB HDD. A grand total of approx. $150

#6 macrosslover

macrosslover

Muad’Dib

Posted 12 June 2014 - 19:00

well I do not know where you live but in the past 6~8 months I was able to get Xbox for as low as $100 (CAD) and then added the 320GB HDD. A grand total of approx. $150

I should have said I've always had a 360.  I just want the PS3 now, but since 360 isn't dropping their price, I assume Sony sees no reason to drop theirs.  I'll probably have to wait for a black Friday deal.

#7 neoadorable

neoadorable

Neowinian Senior

Posted 13 June 2014 - 00:51

Can't really say i hope 360 and PS3 will just go away already because they were so much fun for nearly a decade, but one must know when to exit stage left gracefully...

#8 Shiranui

Shiranui

Iconoclast

• Tech Issues Solved: 3

Posted 13 June 2014 - 00:58

This is why next-gen consoles have to represent a quantum-leap over their predecessors.

#9 neoadorable

neoadorable

Neowinian Senior

Posted 13 June 2014 - 01:34

This is why next-gen consoles have to represent a quantum-leap over their predecessors.

Quantum leap would also entail a correlating increase in price...technology doesn't work well with quantum leaps, gradual increases are better. We went to the moon just fifty years after barely flying bi-planes, and look where it got us. That was an abortive attempt at a quantum leap. Consoles and other tech needs to be noticeably improved/better/more powerful than predecessors, which X1/PS4 are. The problem is that 360/PS3 are excellent devices and super successful. X1/PS4 have it hard, just like PS3 had it hard in 2006-2009. PS2 was super successful, while 360 took over from a console that was not, so it was easier to establish.

The curse of the previous generation is why we're going to wait another six months to a year before all of those delayed titles decide to show up, and why prices on 360/PS3 are not dropping so fast. Why should MS and Sony mark them down to $100 when PS Vita TV with a controller can sell for $140? :s

#10 Ironman273

Ironman273

Neowinian Fanatic

• Tech Issues Solved: 4
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 920

Posted 13 June 2014 - 01:36

I have a PS3 sitting in a box...

#11 Showan

Showan

Neowinian Senior

Posted 13 June 2014 - 02:28

Quantum leap would also entail a correlating increase in price...technology doesn't work well with quantum leaps, gradual increases are better. We went to the moon just fifty years after barely flying bi-planes, and look where it got us. That was an abortive attempt at a quantum leap. Consoles and other tech needs to be noticeably improved/better/more powerful than predecessors, which X1/PS4 are. The problem is that 360/PS3 are excellent devices and super successful. X1/PS4 have it hard, just like PS3 had it hard in 2006-2009. PS2 was super successful, while 360 took over from a console that was not, so it was easier to establish.

The curse of the previous generation is why we're going to wait another six months to a year before all of those delayed titles decide to show up, and why prices on 360/PS3 are not dropping so fast. Why should MS and Sony mark them down to $100 when PS Vita TV with a controller can sell for $140? :s

Microsoft was nearly lynched for abruptly ending support of the OG Xbox. I don't see the 360 exiting stage left for at least another 12-18 months if it's still going this strong...

#12 neoadorable

neoadorable

Neowinian Senior

Posted 13 June 2014 - 02:33

Microsoft was nearly lynched for abruptly ending support of the OG Xbox. I don't see the 360 exiting stage left for at least another 12-18 months if it's still going this strong...

Wasn't advocating stopping support for 360, not at all. Was merely stating what i think is the situation. Besides, support means tech support, it doesn't mean an active development and marketing focus. Their E3 briefing had less than one second of 360, if i remember correctly. That sends a very clear message.

#13 Showan

Showan

Neowinian Senior

Posted 13 June 2014 - 03:22

Wasn't advocating stopping support for 360, not at all. Was merely stating what i think is the situation. Besides, support means tech support, it doesn't mean an active development and marketing focus. Their E3 briefing had less than one second of 360, if i remember correctly. That sends a very clear message.

360 = free $$$ right now...
I meant it will become a true shovel ware machine in 12-18months.

When I say support, I meant it in terms of, still getting meaningful games... :-)

#14 neoadorable

neoadorable

Neowinian Senior

Posted 13 June 2014 - 03:36

360 = free $$$ right now...
I meant it will become a true shovel ware machine in 12-18months.

When I say support, I meant it in terms of, still getting meaningful games... :-)

Meaningful games will likely dry up by mid-2015, publishers say they'll keep supporting 360/PS3, but yes after mid next year it will be all low end releases. You're right that 360/PS3 are basically pure income for MS/Sony right now, the hardware cost is minimal, every one sold is net gain. They'll keep making them well into 2016, i'm sure.